Cutting off dog's tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting off dog's tail

OK, this is one of the most bizarre requests I've ever heard. I was at the vet yesterday with my dog to get his shots, and as I'm sitting in the waiting area I'm listening to this lady at the counter talking to the receptionist and one of the vet techs. She's telling them that she's contemplating getting her 4 year old lab mix's tail removed. She has a toddler and says that the dog's tail keeps whipping the baby in the face when he wags and she's afraid the baby will get hurt! I couldn't believe she would do that to her dog... I can't imagine a child could really get hurt unless this dog has some kind of turbo tail. Plus, hello! - the child is going to grow and won't be at that height that long. Maybe this is common practice, but I think it's absolutely crazy to remove a dog's tail at that age for this reason. They should remove the dog instead.

Oh I hope the vet talks them out of it!!!!! That is horrible. Get the kid a helmet to wear!!! lol

Comment

No

Most ethical vets would never do this unless there was severe injury to the tail.

At this age it would be like an amputation, not a dock, as the bones have harded in adulthood.

The idea that you can remove a portion of a dogs body for convenience
      is troublesome.
      Wouldn't it just be kinder to seperate the child from the dog?
      To hard a job I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by amysue2638 View Post
        OK, this is one of the most bizarre requests I've ever heard. I was at the vet yesterday with my dog to get his shots, and as I'm sitting in the waiting area I'm listening to this lady at the counter talking to the receptionist and one of the vet techs. She's telling them that she's contemplating getting her 4 year old lab mix's tail removed. She has a toddler and says that the dog's tail keeps whipping the baby in the face when he wags and she's afraid the baby will get hurt! I couldn't believe she would do that to her dog... I can't imagine a child could really get hurt unless this dog has some kind of turbo tail. Plus, hello! - the child is going to grow and won't be at that height that long. Maybe this is common practice, but I think it's absolutely crazy to remove a dog's tail at that age for this reason. They should remove the dog instead.
        I'm not at all saying that I agree with the procedure, just wanted to add that a tail can do some damage, especially to a toddler's face. I've gotten whelts and bruises from dog's tail's at work before.
        Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

There are crazies out there. We had a Shepard who came into the first place I worked as a bather brusher in Florida and had already had his adult Shepard’s front paws declawed. Can’t imagine!! Oh there was also the lady who bred her two Chihuahua’s father (11) daughter (8) (inbred) for the first time and stopped at the clinic because the dogs were inappropriate enough to decide to deliver on their vacation.

Comment

I have a lab and my daughter got wacked plenty of times. She still does and she lived. Some people have crazy ideas
            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

The vet I used to work for did this for a man. I don’t remember what his reasons were for wanting it done. The vet I used to work for took the attitude of; if I don’t do it they’ll take it down the road to someone else who will. I guess he thought it would get done properly if he did it. I didn’t always agree with everything he did. That poor dog was in so much pain and discomfort. He had to wear an e-collar because we wanted to constantly lick it and pull out the sutures. I felt so bad for him. I couldn’t see putting an adult dog through that unless if was for a medical reason.

Another instance I can remember was a woman had a Dachshund and she insisted that the dog constantly chased or licked at it rear end because its tail was causing it pain. I have to say this woman came in with many weird request and unusual claims. I think she was a little off her rocker. Anyways, I remember the doctor removed her tail. She seemed to do ok with the surgery, and she kinda look cute with a little rabbit tail.

I agree with everyone though, I think its crazy. My dad had labs when I grew up, and I got knocked on my back more times that I can count. I turned out just fine. I say leave the poor dogs tail alone.

Comment

I met a guy who's lab mix's tail was removed. But the dog was hit by a car, tail was fine. But then a couple days later the dog chewed his tail so severly when the guy was at work that the vet amputated it. It could have been fixed, but it would have taken a long time and would have been really expensive. The dog was much happier without his tail. So was the owner. He already had on an E-collar and got his tail, at the base, in spite of that.
                Becky

Comment

Originally posted by Raggs View Post
                  I met a guy who's lab mix's tail was removed. But the dog was hit by a car, tail was fine. But then a couple days later the dog chewed his tail so severly when the guy was at work that the vet amputated it. It could have been fixed, but it would have taken a long time and would have been really expensive. The dog was much happier without his tail. So was the owner. He already had on an E-collar and got his tail, at the base, in spite of that.
                  I groom an adorable little pom mix that had to have the tail amputated as an adult. It was some kind of accdent, can't remember why, but he seems to have no problems with it, and it is just adorable, definitely adds to his personality.
                  Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I think that as an adult it becomes a much more serious surgical procedure (as others mentioned above) rather than a tail-docking.

Those tails CAN do some serious damage, as Rapuzzled said, I've been hit in the leg with a few tails and it hurts, much less the face/head as a small child. It could literally knock a child down.

I think it would be worse to just "dump" the dog or get rid of it over that--they love the dog enough to keep it considering the owner thinks the child could get hurt. BUT---I think like Diamienono said, the child will live!

Anyway, I heard a story of a dog that wagged its tail so hard in it's kennel that there was blood all over the place from it having broken open. The owner was TICKED (as if it was the groom shop's fault???!!)

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the dog mainly in a different part of the house, while the kid is still small? You can dock the tail, but the dog could still bump into the kid & knock him over. The dog's owners don't sound very bright.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                        I think that as an adult it becomes a much more serious surgical procedure (as others mentioned above) rather than a tail-docking.

Those tails CAN do some serious damage, as Rapuzzled said, I've been hit in the leg with a few tails and it hurts, much less the face/head as a small child. It could literally knock a child down.

I think it would be worse to just "dump" the dog or get rid of it over that--they love the dog enough to keep it considering the owner thinks the child could get hurt. BUT---I think like Diamienono said, the child will live!

Anyway, I heard a story of a dog that wagged its tail so hard in it's kennel that there was blood all over the place from it having broken open. The owner was TICKED (as if it was the groom shop's fault???!!)

Tammy in Utah

Tammy, I have had this happen in my kennel several times, usually by labs. It can be a mess, and there is not much you can do about it. Once the tail splits open at the end you can wrap it, but, you know as well as I do that there are not many dogs that are going to leave a wrapping on the tip of there tail alone. The positive side of this is that the owners can see the dog was happy boarding because his tail was wagging constantly....lol
                        SheilaB from SC

Comment

Working...
                        X