Tha Bomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tha Bomb

Well it happened today...My teacher, my employer has decided to leave the grooming profession.
    Her home goes up for sale on Wed. the shop is located in her homes basement. I am a bit suprised, but do not begrudge this lady a wonderful retirement, I could tell she was so relieved after she told me,( she was so worried I'd be very upset) and she picked out her new home already, a nice 55+ comm. She needs this...
    Now I guess I got to figure out what I should do now, There isn't a shop around that will take me on (they are 1 (wo)man shows around). I only have been grooming for about a year, and don't have my grooming chops, yet. I will miss my clients and hers too, I have grown quite attached to alot of them. I guess I am jumping the gun a little bit because the house won't sell in a day...But I still am a bit saddened.
    Last edited by Tzu-crazee; 02-27-07, 04:49 PM.

See if she will let you take the clients and groom in their homes and go mobile some day!!!! Jump on it!!!!

Comment

I agree with paws. This could be a great opportunity for you. What did your boss say about all of her clients? Does she have someone she's going to refer them too? Many of the clients might be happy to have you continue grooming their dogs. You are someone they know.
      don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Yep, ask her for the client list and go mobile.
        If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

you should buy her house!! Sure that is not on the agenda but hay

Comment

Yeah, No to the house too much $$$. She did say I could have her client list,and I guess I probally could keep quite a few clients. She said she would start refering them to me when the house sells and when I know what the hell I am doing, and since I am there everyday with her...I understand the house will be listed in groomer and horse Magazines for sale too. She will also sell me and give me some of the grooming thing, dryers, cages, clippers, tables etc..I just don't know where to go with this... I was all discombobulated and could think much past "the bomb". You guys have given me ideas now...how to put them into use I don't even know where to begin...
            I left my restuarant career after 20+ years to become a groomer a dream i have had for some time, My hubby was very supportive when I wasn't bringing in any $$ cause of my daily grooming lessons, for 5 months. I have since taken a night job in a restuarant to help pay bills and make household ends meet. I can tell you I hate the eveings I have to go to the restuarant, I don't want that life anymore. Now I feel lost, rudderless. I have a couple of questions tho. in home grooming or Mobile isn't that quite an expense...Does in home groooming work out? I am not sure I would want the mess in my house, I don't know i feel like...:0, a mess. I also want to thank you guys for giving me hope to continue my dream and to be the best groomer I can be.

Comment

I don’t know about either really, but renting a shop space can be extremely expensive!! I put over 10,000 in the first year and did not see a penny. Oh and I bought an existing shop too. Finally I am starting to see a paycheck. I am not trying to be negative, It just is how it was for me. It was a major strain on my marriage too. Are there other groomers in your town? I bet with the experience you have someone would snatch you up and probably pay you a nominal amount to finish learning.

Comment

Hey Scullysmom, No Thats the thing she will be the third groomer in this area to close, however a new one is going inabout 3 miles away.no, no groomers in the town I live or the town I work in have any work most are the 1 man show. I asked when I was looking for an apprenticeship and when I needed some part time work, I asked again hence the restuarant work. I know, I don't think a shop would be fesible at this time I have worn out my hubbys good nature. Still not knowing what to do...

Comment

talk to gryphon trailers about leasing a trailer...get the list, make some calls and run with the ball!!! this could be a new door opening for you, don't close it!! run through it!! good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Tzu-crazee View Post
                    I left my restuarant career after 20+ years to become a groomer a dream i have had for some time, My hubby was very supportive when I wasn't bringing in any $$ cause of my daily grooming lessons, for 5 months. I have since taken a night job in a restuarant to help pay bills and make household ends meet. I can tell you I hate the eveings I have to go to the restuarant, I don't want that life anymore. Now I feel lost, rudderless. I have a couple of questions tho. in home grooming or Mobile isn't that quite an expense...Does in home groooming work out? I am not sure I would want the mess in my house, I don't know i feel like...:0, a mess. I also want to thank you guys for giving me hope to continue my dream and to be the best groomer I can be.
                    Oh Wow, Sounds like me. My husband was also very supportive when no $$ were coming in. We took a small family room that had a bathroom off of it and turned it into my shop. It has a pocket door that closes off from the rest of our house. you can check it out at www.licketyclips.com It was the best thing I ever did. My overhead is low and I love being at home.
                    "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                    Nancy

Comment

I agree w/ hairdevil. When one door closes, another one opens. If your mentor is going to give you the client list and some of the equipment, then you have a great start already. I am not mobile, I have a shop, but there are lots of "mobilers" on this board that could give you info. If I am not mistaken, you can get financing for those trailers and vans. Also, openining your own shop doesn't have to be that expensive. Start small and expand as you go along. I really bet if you want this hard enough you can make it work somehow! So, don't look at this as "the bomb" in a bad way, look at it like the kids say it. This is THE BOMB!!!!! lol
                      SheilaB from SC

Comment

In-home grooming is where you go to the client's house and groom there. There are a bunch of in-home groomers here who could probably help you. From what I've read in their posts, if you have your own supplies, the expense is near non-existent except for gas. In Mobile (which is where I'm trying to go) the vehicle IS the big expense. You can build your own or buy used to keep the cost down. I'm trying to get an SBA-backed bank loan. I highly recommend the Grooming in a Box if you're going that route. I think it would A) really help you get an idea of budgeting, and B) probably convince a bank to support you.

There's always a direction if you've got the drive to follow it. I'm a recent college grad still living with my folks cuz I can't afford to move out, and I'm trying to start my own business!
                        Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X