The other groomer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The other groomer

So I went into that other shop that I called. The place was sparkling clean and it didn't smell at all. So I talked to them about Rambo. Then I asked if I could bring him in so the groomers could meet him. They said sure. So I came back with him and told them that he can be weary of new people because he is so protective. So the groomer that does all the baths came to the front. Instead of getting on his good side and petting him, she starts to try to train him. Of course he does all the "tricks" she wanted him to, then she tries to give him the treat. When he's calm he takes a treat calm, but he was in a new place, as with any dog, he was excited. So he tried to take the treat without caring if he got fingers or what not. So she bopped him on the nose. He flinched, pulled back, then she waved the treat in front of his nose and he tried to take it again. Again she bopped him in the nose. She did this about 5 times, then I opened my mouth. Rambo wouldn't even look at this lady anymore, he was scared of getting hit again. I told her that he knows how to take a treat, but he's in a new place and he's excited so he's not going to be calm. She just ignored me and tried it again, Rambo wouldn't even look her way or sniff the treat, she had to drop it on the ground for him. Then she looked at me and said, with an attitude, oh he'll be just fine to bathe.

Like hell I'm gonna bring him there. I know bopping on the nose is a training thing, I know a tone of trainers that do it. But when I bring a dog in to meet someone and tell them that he is weary of new people and she doesn't try to make friends just all out tries to train him and bops him in the nose 5 times. Not someone I want to bring my dog to. I'm paying for grooming not training sessions when he's already trained.

That lady was ornery. She wasn't nice to me at all. She didn't even say hi. She was snappy and rude. Granted yes, she probably didn't want to do him after I told her about him, but before I even said a word, she was rude and snappy. I don't know, maybe that's her personality. But if I was just a regular customer I still wouldn't bring my dog to her.

An excitable dog, that doesn't know about grooming and a short tempered woman... yeah.... Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
    Becky

I would have bopped her on the nose after the first time she did it to my dog. No way is someone else going to train my dog.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I dont have a dog, but after the first bop, I would have bopped her in the face.

Comment

Outrageous!

Putting a treat in front of a dog's nose and then pulling it away is how you train a dog to lunge for food in the hand. IMO Bopping a dog on the nose is unacceptable period.
        On first meeting, I usually tell the customer that I am not ignoring their dog but am allowing the dog to become calm before I interact with him/her. Then again sometimes I just can't resist petting them and playing with them.
        I'm sorry that you are dissappointed that after finding a nice clean grooming shop that you found a harsh person there.
        You sure are going about your quest properly.

Comment

Wow, I think you're patience is impressive, lol. I wouldn't have waited while she did it five times. I would think that it's totally disrespectful to hit my dog in front of me (let alone at all!). You're right, you were there for grooming, she had no right training your dog, and even the best behaved dog gets distracted in a grooming shop with so many smells and sounds, I know mine does. And as a groomer I would probably be even more upset because I would never hit a customers dog, and she did it right in front of you!
          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

why, would you have even let her do that to your pet. the first time maybe cause she caught you off guard but to do it again. what a rude person and iam using a nice word. if she does that in front of you what does she do when no ones around and hitting a dog on the nose is not a good training technic that just makes them head shy. she needs a crack upside the head. Iam game to that.

Comment

I was shocked when it happened, but I did mouth off to her. I was trying to stay nice so I left with a smile. I forgot to cancel my appointment. It was for this morning. So I was going to call and cancel on my way to work, but I realized I forgot my phone at home, so I ended up being a no show... I feel bad for not calling cause I hate when it happens to me, but given the circumstances, I don't really feel bad.

So I'm taking Rambo to work tomorrow and I'm going to try him again. Now that I'm not pregnant, I'm up for more of a challenge.
              Becky

Comment

She'll bop the wrong dog one day, and she will be retrieving her fingers from his throat. I too find myself wondering if she is "bopping" them when the owner is present, what does she do when the owner isn't around? Don't ya just wish you could of said "hey let me try that to you" and BOP her on the nose.

I must have missed the other post, why were you taking your dog to a groomer anyway? I'm glad you didn't leave Rambo there.

Scoop

Comment

Knowing you and working with you for a while I'm so surprised you let that groomer bop Rambo on the nose 5 times!! Have you changed that much in the time I left the other shop???

I've seen you bath dogs that a bit hard to handle (crazy) and I'm sure you'll be able to handle Rambo. Give it a try. Especially since you're not preg. any longer, no tummy in the way. lol You'll be able to do it.
                  "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                  Diane

Comment

I don't know if she realizes this, and I'm sure it's not what she intended, but what she just taught your dog is to not accept food from a stranger. Which isn't such a bad thing for him to know. But she went about everything all wrong, right from the get-go.

I don't know what you mean by "bop" either. I tap my dogs on the nose if they're insisting on sticking their noses where they don't belong. I don't smack or hit, it's just a light tap intended to break their focus. And I wouldn't have a problem with someone else tapping, if my dog were being rude with his nose. But if it were anything stronger than a tap, it wouldn't happen more then once.

Comment

It was more than a tap, his head moved backwards. Her hand was closed and she smacked it right into the front of his nose. I tap Rambo on the nose, just one finger and lightly tap the top of his nose, just enough to distract him. But she was doing harder than a tap and it was enough for him to not want to look her direction.

Diane, I am trying to have more patience with people. My mom even tells me all the time that she wishes I'd have patience with people like I do my animals.

I've come a long way. I would yell at customers and people that crossed me in any way. I'm trying to be nice about things now and work thru things instead of instantly blowing my lid.
                      Becky

Comment

When I adopted my kitten( 9 wks old) from the spca, I brought him to a vet for his free exam/shots. During his exam, the vet's sleeve caught his attention and being a kitten, he swiped at it with his paw. The vet smacked him over the head thwack!. Hard . I told her "don't hit my cat over the head!" She got pissy and said if it were her cat that's what she'd do. I told her it's not your cat, and you're not going to be our vet!

Comment

Originally posted by misscatahoula View Post
                          When I adopted my kitten( 9 wks old) from the spca, I brought him to a vet for his free exam/shots. During his exam, the vet's sleeve caught his attention and being a kitten, he swiped at it with his paw. The vet smacked him over the head thwack!. Hard . I told her "don't hit my cat over the head!" She got pissy and said if it were her cat that's what she'd do. I told her it's not your cat, and you're not going to be our vet!

Goooood for you!! Your kitty was feeling comfortable enough to play and this idiot "vet" takes it upon herself to smack her? I liked your response. If she wasn't the "boss" I also would have been talking to the boss!

Raggs, I am soooo glad you didn't leave your Rambo w/that witch! Yeah, good traning technique to use on a dog that doesn't know you, or any dog for that matter! Too bad he didn't "bop" her on the nose!! Maybe you will be able to bathe him yourself now and he will behave like a perfect gentleman since he knows what the alternatives are.....lol
                          SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by misscatahoula View Post
                            Sounds like that vet needs a desk job. Seriously how many animals are going to bite and freak out on a vet. Does she hit every one of them?
                            Becky

Comment

I understand why you let her do it. Some times people do the most ridiculous things that make you stunned, and you don't react right away. The when you think of it later your furious. I was so mad after reading that, I felt as though someone's hitting my child in front of me. Hopefully you and Rambo can forget about it and move on.

Comment

Working...
                              X