how can i handle this client??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can i handle this client??????

i have a client with a shi mix,thats been coming since ive opened both the dog and the parents are very nice,he always says his dog looks great,and says his dog was abused by a woman and the only 2 women the dog likes is me and his wife but.....everytime he comes in i cant get him to stop yaking to me so i can get to work,hes not old i know some elderly people talk because they are lonely,hes in his mid 50s,but i groomed dog on tues,whn he drops dog off,i take dog and asked same as before he says yup,i said it will be about 2 hrs,he says oh take your time,so i go in the back put dog in kennel and get tub ready,i look up front man still there,i asked do you need something else,then he just starts talking about nothing in particular,his cats,his tattoos,his dog,his job,finall after about 15 min i was saved by the phone,finally leaves,so i finished dog call him,he says i will be right there,well in the meantime i had set up a meeting in between dogs with the phone book rep.she gets here about 5 min before him,and we were both pressed for time we were sitting at the counter,man walks in i ring him up hand him his doggy and said thank you so much have a great day see you next time,he says she looks great thats why i keep coming back i say thank you sit down to continue the convo with the lady,well he almost out and asks who does your security system i said i dont know,he said thats what i do i will give you a grat deal,i said hubby handles that do you have a card,he says no,can i see the security box to see who you have,i said its in the office,he says can i go look i said no,he looked offended,but i cant have no one back there,the whole time im apologizing to the phone book rep,then he starts talking about how he rescued his dog,asking me if ive ever seen a turkish van,showing me pics of his furbabies on his phone,im so happy he loves and is proud of his furbabies,but come on im working,im not kidding it took 25 min.when he finally says oh i see you are busy maybe i should go,i just like to talk.is there anything i can do without hurting feelings or offending him,i dont mind having small conversations with my clients,but most will say ok i will let you get back to work we will talk next time,and i have 2 that yack up a storm,and wont leave although the other isnt as bad
    sorry this is so long
    trish

Wow. That's a tough one. I've actually had this happen to me before in business. One thought is that this person could actually have a condition that limits his awareness of the signals that others send to him such as when others want to cut off a conversation. There is a condition called Aspergers Syndrome that can affect people in this way. You might want to keep this in mind when dealing with this client. That said, he is actually violating your boundaries and causing conflict and stress in your business life by disrespecting and abusing your time. (Even if he is unaware of this) I think that it is a personal choice where each of us sets boundaries and how much we are able or willing to allow others to overstep them. But eventually it is up to us to respect our own boundaries and set limits. I personally try to avoid conflict with my clients and try to set boundaries for the challenging clients without confronting them if possible. With my similar client, I ended up scheduling her for my final appointment of the week so that she would not be able to affect my work so much. I always was prepared with a reason for why I was hurrying home and couldn't stay to chat. If I hadn't been able to work things out with her in that way, I think that I would have had to be more forward and honestly but kindly tell her that I couldn't visit while I was working. In the end you really have to respect your time and your business, even if this persons feelings are hurt by a kind reminder. Good Luck.

Comment

After a few minutes of chit chat, you could always say, "well, I've got to get started on this dog now!", and start heading for the table. You can be pleasant & polite, but let him know you have to get to work. Most people get it; I don't know what you do about somebody who's totally oblivious,though.

Comment

I have this problem also. Most of the customers I just step back to my table and talk to them with the current groom being attended to. I told one of them that I was really sorry, that I was not trying to be rude, but we were really busy and that I had to make sure that all the little buddies need adequate time to do a good job. I do have one customer who I just groom their pet on my day off or make sure it is really slow because I have an hour of chat time (at least) per every visit. Hope this helps

Comment

Thank you for the good advice it helps,i have tried to get him to come late afternoon,but he wants very first appt.like i said hes very nice,and i would rather deal with someone like him then a pain in the a**,maybe he does have what funjustbenme said,boy i would feel horrible if he had that condition and here i am complaining about him,but he did say i love to talk,
          thanks again
          trish

Comment

oops,i goofed

my apologies i just had a root canal done kinda loopy right now,i meant toomuchfunbnme,

Comment

If possible may be try to schedule him on a slow day where you do have the time to chat with him.

I know you said he isn't old but even at 50 he may just have the need to talk to someone and you just happened to be that someone.
              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
              Diane

Comment

Edited.
                Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:38 PM.

Comment

We have this problem come up occasionally but not nearly as bad as you have it. Some clients, usually older, will hang around after handing their dog over so they can see the starting of the groom. If I see that happening I just take the dog to the back kennel room (out of sight) and cage the dog and work on something else until the owner has left. Our grooming tables are in plain sight of the walkup window but the bathing room and kennel room are not, so dogs are either kenneled or straight to the tub and clients aren't so chatty. Sorry I'm not any help to you but without getting rude or very firm I guess it's hard to get your message across. So many people are fascinated to see our tables in full few often hang around to watch us work on other dogs, once they see they can't engage us in lengthy conversations they don't stay long.

Comment

That is a tough situation to be in. I would just keep walking while he was talking, smiling the whole time. If it drags on I would probably say, "sorry don't mean to seem so distracted but I have a lot going on right now, will you excuse me"? Then I would try to get to a different room asap.

That is a tough one though.

Comment

Working...
                    X