Bartering services....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bartering services....

My new client this mornin has a few labs.......country dogs that she says always smell. Well, she noticed that theyve delivered pizza to my shop & recognized me from my home also (lol) And asked if I would be interested in grooming the labs for free pizza when I wanted. I said HEC YEAH lmao. They own the local Domino's. Does anyone else barter? Normally I wouldnt but w/ 3 kids and my hubby- we order a lot of pizza! I also barter w/ my hairstylist..... as long as theyre good dogs, it works for me!

snow plowing

This isn't an official bartering arrangement, but my next door neighbor has been plowing our driveway for free (won't take anything but cookies!) since we moved in 3 yrs ago. Now I finally have something to give him: free grooms for his chocolate lab!! And she is a sweet heart.

Comment

I have one customer who is an editor for a monthly newspaper. I trade grooming her 2 dogs for an ad in that paper. Its been well worth it to me, I have gained many customers from that ad.
      don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

A client of mine has 7 dogs: 4 shih-tzus, 2 chihuahuas, and a chow/pit mix. She is a nail technician in my plaza, so I groom one of her dogs every 2 weeks in exchange for having my nails done. I try to stick to pedicures though, because my fingernails don't look good for long in this business!

Comment

Oh yes! We barter with the HVAC guy, the hair stylist in town, and even my dog trainer. It's a win-win for everyone.

Comment

Yes! I barter with my daughter's dance teacher. She comes in once a month and I pay the dance tuition once a month. Which ends up being less than half of what it would be if I didn't barter. Works for me.

Comment

I have a different opinion of bartering than others. I beleive that I have a valid point and I am not trying to discredit anyone elses opinion, so I hope that no one attacks me. I have tried bartering a couple times long ago with friends, but found that somehow my "friends" either forgot to hold up their end of the bargain, or that I ended up giving more than I got in exchange. I would say that it is important to have your bartering agreement in writing to avoid any misunderstandings and to have a record of what is owed you. Also, my thought is that if it is an even exchange of goods or services, why not just pay anyway? When I pay for my own goods and services I am not tied to one establishment or a certain schedule to make use of credits. My personal opinion of bartering is that I make plenty of money to pay for whatever I want, so if I want something I just purchase it. I prefer being paid for my services in cash because I don't have the time to figure out barter agreements or adjust my bookkeeping and keep track of who owes me credit at their business. Business wise it just doesn't make sense for me, but I think it is fine for others who want to practice it though.

Comment

I bartered with one of my customers when we built my shop, he did all the electric work and I gave him so many free grooms.

Comment

I prefer money

I always came out short end of that popsicle stick.I did a Yorkie for what ended up a rewferral to a tax man I pay 135 for...She got free groom...I got nuttin but a cute tax man. I think they are quick and easy w/ carbon receipts. Most are same amnt times twelve..Ryans etc misc..and not enough for laundy etc.. This year I am going to try for more honest deductions..IVac and computer in Dec. uniforms lots I forget by March. Is 135 a lot for taxes? I can't pay estimated quarterly cuz I don't make much PT. All to Uncle Sam..none back...Oh wellll, nice try bad dog children aren't deductions.. Tried halle as a demo dog..but need to show proof of income..did for free entrance to seminar...stretching it.

Comment

I'd LOVE to find a roofer, a handyman, a dentist, a butcher, and somebody who sells air conditioners to barter with,lol! But then with my luck the tax man would chase me down & toss me in jail. If bartering could take off legitamately on a large way I'd be a happy woman. Tired of the damn government bleeding me.

Comment

I barter with the hair dresser. We never considered it from the start. I like my hair done once a month, went in on a referral from someone else and my bill was $80, plus tip $100. She took my card and booked with me. Without even realizing it, I did her dogs and her bill was $78 and she tipped me $20. She wanted them done monthly too. She called me a week later with this realization and that's when we started bartering. So much easier for money to not exchange hands in this scenario.

Comment

Bartering

We definitely do. I barter for towels. I knew someone who bartered for keys and we are working for bartering some administrative fees.

Comment

I groom my hairdresser's dog the same day I get my hair done. It's kind of ridiculous...he pays me and gives me a tip, and then I pay him and give him a tip. I just end up giving him back the money he gave me...the exact amount. lol! I definitely would be aggravated if I ended up with the short end of the stick, but when it totally evens out I'd rather not handle the dirty money, lol.
                          don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

as long as what you are bartering for is something you really want or are already paying them for, then it's great!! i had a customer that had a great restaurant that we always ate in, so we had a trade..worked out great until the place closed and they wanted to give me credit at the other restaurant that i really did'nt like..now i have $100.00 credit wich who knows if i will ever use.i had to tel them that i could no longer barter..they did not look to happy, however they still bring the dog!

Comment

I just did a barter yesterday, as the girl who parents own the feed store where I use to have my shop, lost her Pom, as her brother's dog killed it. She was devestated. I wanted to send her flowers so I called the florist down the street, whom I bath their 3 dogs. I ordered flowers and they were going to deliver them, as they also knew Kelly and her Pom. They came back by the shop and told me they would just trade grooming their border collie for the flowers. Worked great for us both.

My daughter trades getting her nails done for grooming also, and traded getting her daughter's hair cut for grooming. I have also traded getting my taxes done for grooming.

Comment

Working...
                              X