Dog eating cat food--is it bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog eating cat food--is it bad

In a thread earlier I gave an update on Toby. But now I have a question. He really enjoys eating the dry cat food that is put down for the cats. Should I be worried about this (it won't make him meow will it? hehe) or just let him eat it?
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

Edited.
    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Watch out if he starts using the litter box,meows and ignores you .

Comment

Cat food has way too much protein in it for the doggies-plus it will make him fat (and the kitty skinny if he eats it all!) Put it up out of his way.
        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

A lab I used to own would break out whenever he ate our cats food. He tried to be sneaky about it, it was actually comical at first. The vet said he was allergic to the cat food, and that dogs shouldnt eat it, of course they will still try to sneak it sometimes. The cocker I have now LOVES to try to get his paws and mouth in the cat food if he gets half a chance. His own food he picks at lol. Definitely watch out for that meowing, though too. OH yes, and our dog wants to get into the kittybox too, gross!!!

Comment

My dog got the runs from getting into my kittens food, I'd keep it up on a counter or something. For my two, I keep the cat food on the top shelf of a cat tree, and my dog eats all of hers before the cat can get near it. (If she'd even let him)

Comment

I'm not sure of the exact chemistry of it all, but I know both my guys throw up soon after snarking the cat food. We do our best to keep them from it, but they get to it sometimes. The cats seem fine when they push the dogs out of their bowls and get the dog food.
              Erin
              No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Your dog is picky right, so if that is one of the few things he will eat It is not that bad, it only has extra vitamins, your dog's body will not absorb vitamins that it doesn't need. Now cats can not eat dog food because it does not contain taurine an esential kitty nutrient. Among a few other ones. Maybe you could mix some cat food with your dog food to make it more appeitizing for MR Picky Pants lol.

Comment

Ok, Toby no more cat food, dog food only.

mustluvdogs1-if he started to use the litter box I don't think I'd mind that too much HEHE, meows and ignoring me would bother me (of course first dog known to meow maybe I could get well known and make it big LOL)
                  "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                  Diane

Comment

i read somewhere that dogs can live on cat food, but cats can't live on dog food, something about nutrients that are absent in dog food. my cat loves having a little dog food once in a while, and sits on top of the sack to make her point.

Comment

No kitty food for the dog...it has too much protien which tends to irritate dogs skin. Especially if he is not burning off the extra protien and calories.

Comment

No CAT would ever succome (spell check?) to having dog behavior. So it's ok for cat to eat dog food.

Comment

My 17 year old yorkie-poo has been eating cat food for about 5 years now. I give her plenty of people food but she won't eat dog food. Of course her skin is yucky, and she could compete for the ugliest dog contest but what do you want from a 17 year old dog.

Comment

nix

My mother in law had a little maltese mix, and she fed it cat food totally.

About age 6 she went down in her hind end, and mom took her to the vet.
                            Her kidneys were rocks. He asked what she fed her, and she told him.

He said it explained a lot and cat food was just to high in protien for the dogs to handle it long term.
                            Mom lost her, and I felt so bad for her.

I would not give your dog cat food. Its just to hard on them.

Comment

I used to have a cat and we have a shelf above the washer. That is where the cat food was so the dogs could not get it. The occasional snack will not hurt them, but to eat it all the time is not good. Cat did not have a prayer of getting the dog food. He knew the dogs would eat him before he could eat their food lol. Poor Whiskey, He never had a chance of piece and quiet unless he was hiding behind the tv. When he went to go to the litter box he had to run or the 3 dogs would chase him. I have a pic somwhere of the cat hiding in the tub and my choc. lab found him. hehe. I will have to look for it.
                              If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Working...
                              X