question about leashed dogs in your shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about leashed dogs in your shop

hi guys after reading wisconsins horrible,situation at the pets store,about a dog attacking another,i was wondering if the shop owner would be held liable,if that was to happen i a grooming shop,i have signs everywhere that pets must be restrained,but i still get the idiots,that say my dog wont walk on a leash,or my dog wont attack another dog he loves everyone,if this was to happen in a groom shop, would owner be responsible,i sure hope not,

I was wondering the same thing. Most of my clients are very good about bringing them in on leash or carrying them in, but you still get a few that don't get it. I don't know what would happen if somebody's leaving with leashed dog and arriving unleashed dog were to start something, or vice versa. If I see them loose outside I'll actually bring a leash out with me and give it to them to put on.They usually apologize and say they couldn't find their leash at home. When I book a new client I tell them they need to have dog on a leash, in a carrier, or carried in. But when you have dog owners like the pit's in wisconsin's situation, who still allowed her dog to get close enough to maul another dog, it's more difficult to prevent. Very hard to protect others when a stupid owner doesn't care.

Comment

I'm of the understanding that it is the pet owners responsibility but I'm sure that varies state by state. I'm sure the shop bears some responsibility as well, maybe for not enforcing the policy? Not sure though. Not a bad idea to find out in your area any liability issues in a case like that. You can bet I'll be taking it up with the vet clinic I work at. We too have people that do not leash.

Comment

This may be completely wrong, but, the lawyers usually go after the easiest to get. What I mean is, the shop owner invited people in with their pets, it would be easiest for the atty. to get a settlement from the business owner. Also, bus. owners usually have more insurance.
        I work in a vet clinic and we not only get people in who won't leash their dogs, they also bring their cats in just holding them. Is that stupid or what?!!!!

astrordog

Comment

I inform my customers for security you MUST have the dog on a leash or carry it in. One of my customers was leaving and I told her about the shop policy and she said " oh, my dog always goes to the car." It was 5:00pm traffic out there on a busy street and sure enough the dog ran out to the road and was hit, she screamed the dog screamed and I screamed, he didn't die but it was too much stress!!!!!! NO< MORE <<>>

Comment

It also drives me nuts how many people come in w/out leashes and will say they listen and won't run off. I beg to differ people!!! Animals who are stressed or excited will often not listen as well as they normally do. I have seen enough of my customers who thought this way and ended up chasing their dog to think differently. I am on a busy hwy too, and watching a dog run in the road followed by a screeching owner is a very scary thing to see! Also, there is a leash law in most if not all states!
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

I have a sign posted right outside my front door. When people still come in without a leash, I give them one to put on the dog. I have not had any fights break out but I had a little girl scared. Had a client who I have told before to have a leash on her dog, came in with her big GSP unleashed and the dog went right up to the girl, about 6 yrs old, and she was scared out of her mind. She started crying. The dog is a good dog, but I got really mad at the owner and about lost it. She apoligized and since then she shows up with a leash on the dog.
              Some people when you tell them something, it goes in one ear and out the other, sounds like talking to my children LOL , oh and hubby too..

Comment

We currently don't have a policy but we should. We have an unbelievable amount of dogs that walk in unleashed. One lady last week walked in with 2 cockers, 1 leashed, 1 unleashed, I guess she was trying to impress someone with the fact that the male would follow the female. When I went to take in the male, I said, 'wait, let me get a lead' she says oh, he'll follow her in when you take her. I replied that I couldn't handle both and needed to take one in a time. I mean, I don't want dogs running loose on either side of the counter. She must have gotten the point because when she returned to pick them up she had an extra leash, now how hard was that?
                We had another lady last year who wanted us to see her pitt bull, I'm not sure why because we had already refused to bath it after they told us it would bite. What does the crazy lady do? She brings him off the street (busy street) unleashed and turns him loose in our shop without finding out whether or not anyone else was even in waiting area. He came in all puffed up barking and growling, he lunges across the counter at a dog on the other side and then runs around the corner barking to where my son was(who was a baby at the time) in a play area seperated only by a plastic play yard panel. We freaked and started yelling "there's a baby there!" The lady laughed like it was fun scaring people and took her dog back out to her car. I had awful visions for days of my son getting ripped to shreds by a pitt. I'm not breed predijuce but it's always the idiots who own the wrong dogs.

Comment

Buy a bunch of those inexpensive kennel leads and keep them on a coat hook buy the front door.Even let them keep them, you can get them by the hundreds in the Petedge catalog. If anything bad happens it is almost always going to be at your cost, so try to keep it to a minimum.

Comment

Edited.
                    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 01:24 AM.

Comment

I have never been bitten but I havebeen Attacked by a Pittbull. It was off leash in a field that I used to take home in summer. One ay I was walking down the path. All of a sudden I see this Huge black dog running at me. I did't run (I know better.) So when the dog lounged I kicked out with my foot and kicked it HARD in the chest. The owner runs over and yelled at ME for kicking his dog. I turned around and said "You think I was going to let him Bite me?" He told me I was stupid he just wanted to play. (Yeah "Let's eat this kid for Dinner!") I guess he's gotten into trouble because now when I see the guy (the guy now lives 3 or 4 doors own from me) his dog is on a leash and collar with a Muzzle. It's the closest i've been to being bitten and it was Scary.

Comment

Only problem was the dogs in the shop were on leashes

At the pet shop they'd bring in and by all kinds of dogs, close to each other in the waiting area and just outside. I was often cautioning the owners, leashed or not. Even the bathers and groomers would be excorting big tough dogs by other dogs in teeth range. Some snarls, close calls but in my 6 months there nothing serious between the dogs. I'd heard a few years back about a Great Dane and a Labrador in an obedience class, on leashes with the instructor close. The Dane attacked the Labrador and killed it while all were right there. You just never know. So yeah good question about the liability.
                        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Reading these posts again, I think I am going to get a garden hook to put outside w/kennel leads on it and a little sigh saying ALL pets must be restrained. It is scary how many pet owners of aggressive dogs think it is okay to let them loose w/others.
                          SheilaB from SC

Comment

You probably need an attorney to answer the question of liability. But as previously mentioned, attorneys filing suit in a situation like this are probably going to go after anyone involved; the dog owner AND the business. A judgement against one is good, a judgement against both is great. The attorney gets more $$$ that way.

If you have good liability insurance, they'll offer to settle out of court. And if you're lucky, the party suing you will settle.

Comment

Working...
                            X