Did I do the right thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I do the right thing?

Today I had a poodle come in to get groomed. When the lady dropped her off she said to do her short. Ok no problem. So I am grooming away and the lady calls & asks me if I could find help her find her poodle a good home, because both her and her husband work 70 hours a week. They don't have time for her. I told her that I would try. Well needless to say the more I thought about it. (My daughter wants a poodle really bad.) I decided that I would talk to my husband and possibly give her a good home. I talked to him at lunch and decided that we would give it a try. My only fear is that I have a 3 year old Lab. The poodle seems to like my Lab. My Lab has always been pretty good around other dogs. The poodle keeps greeting my Lab and wanting to play. In turn the Lab starts to play with her. I am just alittle afraid that my lab will play too rough with her.
    When I was a little girl. We had a lab and a poodle. They got along well together. At another point in time. We had a lab and a chuiaha. (spelling?) They too got along very well. Matter of fact the lab was more like a mother to the chi. then anything.
    I hope that I did the right thing. Also if you guys have any suggestions on how to make this transition as smooth as possible for the both of them. I would love to hear them and I would very much appreciate it!!! Thank you.

Edited.
    Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 01:09 AM.

Comment

awww...a new family member. That's so nice. I have a toy poodle and 4 big dogs. They all get along fairly well. I too make sure I spread the food dishes out when they are fed. My obedience instructor told me, from the beginning to treat her like a big dog, not a baby. I agree with everything pampered said. Have fun!
      don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I have alot of clients who have little ones with the big ones together. One is a pom and a lab. They are so cute together. The little one usually turns out to be the top dog in the end. I'm sure they will be fine.
        Our shelter always tells people it takes about 2 weeks for an animal to become accustomed to its new home.
        Congrats and have fun!

Comment

Thanks pampered. I am waiting to get my next dogs until after I move, but I have been thinking of getting both a very large breed of dog as well as a very small breed of dog. Sounds like you have been able to successfully have differing sizes of dogs live together successfully in your home with proper planning and supervision.

Comment

It will be fine I am sure. You are wonderful for taking this dog. Guess you did not get paid for that groom lol.
            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Thank you for your replies. The 2 seem to like each other, as they have been playing together, supervised of course. I put the poodle in her crate if I can not watch the 2 of them. It makes sense to treat the poodle like a big dog. Now if I can just get my girls to do that. They absolutely love her and have been carrying her whenever they get their hands on her. LOL As for the food the lady gave me her food and water bowl. My lab is not food aggressive. I have had puppies visit and they would drink and eat out of her bowls and she would let them. I will keep a close eye on that too. She is the sweetest thing. I am sure that you guys get people asking you to help find homes for their babies. This is my 2nd time having to do this. The lady who took the first one (shih-tzu) was ready to take the poodle too. I told her that I am going to try and keep her myself. I am glad that I do not work at the animal shleter. I would try to rescue everyone of those babies too. LOL I will keep you posted on how things are going. Thanks again!!!!!!

Comment

I did not think that I was going to get paid for the groom. However when I called her to tell her that I was going to keep her. She told me that she would send over her stuff and that she was going to pay me for the groom too. WOW!!!

Comment

Edited.
                  Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 01:13 AM.

Comment

I fostered a toy poodle

The only one of my dogs that was totally safe with it was the big Coonhound. The Brittanys just sort of railroaded the little guy in their exhuberance. I think the bigger lab will be better. Great that you took the dog.

Long ago I took in a poodle that had a broken leg the owner didn't bother to get fixed. What a lovely girl she was, the Vet care for me was offered darn cheap due to the compassion of the Vet. She ended up a shop mascot for years.
                    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Just use a little common sense and everything should be fine, but it sounds like they are doing fine together. You received some great advice regarding feeding and food dishes. It sounds like you are keeping the Poodle crated when you are not around (very smart) and supervising them when they are together. The only thing I would add is to talk to your daughter about NOT showing favoritism (sp) to the new dog. That can foster hurt feelings which could cause problems. I would suggest (in the begining) to greet the lab first when you get home and "defer" to her first. They will eventually choose their own pecking order and you just follow that. Before you know it they will be great buddies and you will wonder what all the worry was about...lol BTW congratulations on the new addition. Are you going to use her to practice fancy grooms, or are you going to keep her "short and easy"?
                      SheilaB from SC

Comment

I understand that dogs will be dogs and what can happen. My Mom had a Shepard. My aunt had a yorkie, she had to move and could not take the yorkie with her. Knowing that the shepard was around a chi for most of his life. She asked my Mom to take the Yorkie. Well one day both dogs were in the up stairs hallway. My Mom heard a big yelp. Went running only to find that Shepard had broken the Yorkie's neck. He did not do it on purpose. My mom said that he was just as upset about it as her and that he kept looking for the yorkie. That was the hardest thing for my mom, especially having to tell my aunt. My aunt was not mad and she understood. The Shepard was well over 100lbs. My Lab is rather small at 55lbs. But I am still very cautious. I will keep a sharp eye out when feeding and when they are playing.

Comment

Working...
                        X