home made dog food recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home made dog food recipe?

My dog is 13 years old, a terrior mix, 18 pounds, and takes a small dose of phenobarbitol to avoid seizures. He tends to get itchy.
    What's an easy to make dog food I can cook up in my small kitchen? Iam a beginner at this, so am looking for a really basic recipe to start.

It's not completely homemade, but my dogs eat something called petmix.. It's a dehydrated mix of eggs and veggies and you add fresh meat to it. You can see the food and it's all identifiable once it re-hydrates.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
      It's not completely homemade, but my dogs eat something called petmix.. It's a dehydrated mix of eggs and veggies and you add fresh meat to it. You can see the food and it's all identifiable once it re-hydrates.
      I want to try that! Perfect!

Comment

I make my own wet food. Originally read about this in whole dog journal.
        Ground Beef, if you get extra lean do add the coconut later, but you don't need extra lean. If really fatty and you need to reduce fat content, when you cook in the big pot see below, it will rise above the water and beef mix and you can siphon off as you see fit.
        Green Beans, for small dogs the "french style" in the frozen section are wonderful and very easy for them to eat. Even big dogs love those.
        Light amount of rice if the dog has soft stool tendencies. Adds some binding to the stool for them.
        I like to add some carrots, optional. I get those baby peeled carrots ready to be cooked, saves time. Soaks up flavor they love it and is inexpensive way to bulk up and they fill up.
        Coconut oil, optional, not much. If you use a very lean beef it adds some oil back for them.

Carrots can add a little time to cook, so you may want to cook them a few minutes in boiling water ahead of going into the big pot. They should only be med hard, not soft cooked that will come later when you add it to the big stew pot.

I make big batch and freeze.

Start with the ground beef in a big pot and add some water, a few cups of water. I mix the water and beef in my hands in there, no lumps. If you cook water better without doing that it will forms lumps so doing this no lumps. Stir occasionally. Low medium heat, carrots can be cooking separately before adding to pot. Once the meat is brown and stirred up add the frozen green beans, any rice, and drain the carrots which by now are medium cooked, softer. Siphon off extra beef fat by skimming it off as needed.

Stir it up and cook on low for up to 1 hour. It actually builds up slowly and gets very hot. When done strain off the water contents of the pot. Beef will have absorbed some water, and beans and carrots too. So quick strain and package for refrigertor and or freezer. I make a month's worth.

THEY GO CRAZY FOR IT. I suggest you add a mineral supplement, digestive enzyme and probiotics to their feeding. They make those like snacks or just drop them in the bowl. They lick and lick and lick the bowl clean.

If you freeze it leave about an inch of space under the lid cover. The water content of the beef and veggies makes it expand a little as it freezes.

Comment

Working...
        X