My dog's footprints in the snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog's footprints in the snow

When my dog runs, he puts all four feet down, then there is big gap, then all four feet again. When I watch him run, there isn't an obvious jump or anything. I never knew dogs ran that way. My dog is a Dalmatian, if that makes any difference.

If the snow is deep enough, our dogs hop like bunnies. I guess they find it easier than barreling through the foot or 2 of snow. Our alpha lab/rot is usually first to blaze a trail, followed by the lab/chesapeake, followed by the prissy lab/beagle after all the tracks have been made. They keep to the same tracks for awhile too, until they get bored, then one will blaze a new trail. It's funny.

Comment

When the snow is deep my dogs become a big snowball, my 4 shihtzus have medium length hair and the snow balls up on them. But they love to play in it so every one just gets a warm bath when they come in and then we snuggle on the couch
      "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
      Nancy

Comment

My Catahoula bounds truogh the snow like that when it is very deep. Once she's made a path she walks normally,lol.

Comment

Interesting

That's interesting... I had never given a lot of thought to a dogs gait before. I know that it's important in showing dogs. I've owned retired show dogs, but never shown dogs myself. Now that you mention it, I will be noticing gaits a lot more.

Comment

my dogs footprints in the snow

My little Dachshund kinda burrows along if the snow is too deep, her little legs can't done too much jumping, they run like a ferret. She's too fussy about being in too much snow, her daddy has to shovel a run area in the grass or she don't like to get her feet wet.
            But we haven't had any snow this year to say of. Only about 3 inches since last Nov!!!!

Comment

that's so cute about the snow footprints. Don't get snow here, the closest thing I've seen to snow (since I was a little girl in Kansas) was frozen edges of a puddle a couple days ago around 7am. We were actually like" wow look at that" and pointing lol. Seeing the snow in the mountains tho is beautiful, I can imagine all the little paw prints up there.

Comment

My Keeshonds are very obvious snow dogs and living in Wisconsin, we get a bit of the white stuff.

They stick their noses in the snow and tunnel. Then they lay on their backs and wiggle around. Looks like they're making doggie snow angels. Quite a few of the neighbors have gotten a kick out of watching that.

I too notice the bunny hop gait. Must just be easier to maneuver through the snow.

Comment

Originally posted by RevWind View Post
                  If the snow is deep enough, our dogs hop like bunnies. I guess they find it easier than barreling through the foot or 2 of snow. Our alpha lab/rot is usually first to blaze a trail, followed by the lab/chesapeake, followed by the prissy lab/beagle after all the tracks have been made. They keep to the same tracks for awhile too, until they get bored, then one will blaze a new trail. It's funny.
                  Our dogs do the same thing!! I love to see them hop like little bunnies - it's so adorable. They'll do it in the snow or anything a little too high to walk normally in. When we go to my mom's and they run wild in the fields, all you'll see is there little ears flying up as they try to hop thru the tall grass. We laugh like crazy, until they come back full of weeds and stickers in their coat. But it really is cute! In fact my Lhasa, Bandit, was nicknamed Bandit Bunny by my daughter and her friends. He loves to hop for the girls!!

Comment

Working...
                  X