Pet Stylist vs. Groomer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Stylist vs. Groomer

Do you refer to yourself as a pet stylist or groomer. I prefer the term groomer for myself. 1) I'm not experienced enough to have style as a groomer, therefore I don't think I qualify as a stylist in that sense. 2) I like using groomer because it is more formal in some instances.

I hold pet stylists in high esteem, as artists. My own personal view is that a groomer can also be a petstylist and vice versa, but I don't think of them as interchangeable.

A Groomer, in my view, is more of a technician but also a key person in the health and well-being of a pet.

Kinda like a barber vs a hair stylist. The only worry I have is that stylist doesn't convey the "health" part alone, and grooming a pet, and styling a pet, is much more a health requirement than people hair grooming .....

I just wanted to get the opinions of others here and how the semantics work out in the real world.

Where I work we are Stylist and the bathers are Groom Techs. Which we never actually call them. BTW We usually just say groomer n bather. But I think they both have the same meaning. Maybe a groomer who just shaves dogs should be called a stripper! lol

Comment

My business card says Pet Stylist, but whenever anyone asks what I do, I tell them I am a dog groomer. I don't think pet stylist is immediately understood by the mainstream. Even though I usually do simple cuts, I think all cuts involve styling.
      Last edited by Reader; 01-22-07, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Edited.
        Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-20-07, 12:57 AM.

Comment

My business card says pet stylist but some people look at you really strange until you say dog groomer
          "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
          Nancy

Comment

I just call myself a dog groomer.

Comment

my business card says C.A.H. (companion animal hygenist), but i call myself a groomer!

Comment

Said this before but

I'm a groomer. I think of a stylist as a hair fixer. I think of a groomer as someone who bathes, cleans ears, clips the hair, oh and sometimes gets to actually style the haircut. Too funny, Poodlefluff, as I've certainly stripped dogs coats before. Hmmm, if I shave a little dog am I a little shaver?
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Originally posted by Poodlefluff View Post
                  Where I work we are Stylist and the bathers are Groom Techs. Which we never actually call them. BTW We usually just say groomer n bather. But I think they both have the same meaning. Maybe a groomer who just shaves dogs should be called a stripper! lol
                  There is a 'stripper' in the next county over from me - I hear he strips with the best of 'em...hahahaha - Good one Poodfluff!

I call myself a Groomer - to me it's just a general term for what our jobs actually cover. We are really WAY more than just Groomers!

Comment

I am still a professional dog wrestler.
                    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I concider myself a "canine folicular manipulator"...lol

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
                        I am still a professional dog wrestler.
                        LOL!! I LOVE THAT!!! I am gonna tell my husband that is what I want to be known as from here on out. LOL

Comment

Plain and simply----dog groomer.
                          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                          Diane

Comment

I bought a t-shirt in Atlanta...it reads "Canine Appearance Technician". I wonder how people would respond to that on a B.C. lol
                            don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I refer to myself as a "pet stylist" for a couple of reasons.

Growing up, I lived in an area where having an indoor pet was not common. Dogs, long haired or short haired, were kept outside. In the last 5 years, more and more people in that area are purchasing companion animals. Before that, P Something was the only place that offered grooming and it wasnt very well know. A 15 minute drive to get there. Anyways, a lot of people in that area are very new to grooming. Some of the older people still dont believe in indoor pets. So when I say groomer, they dont know what that means. Pet Stylist is very straight forward. Stylist... for pets. The sign we had outside our shop had Grooming on it and people still came in thinking we sold pets. (this area, btw, is two minutes from the border in s. texas)

My other reason is that because I am mexican, I speak with the slightest accent. I cant even tell. But apparently I roll a lot of letters and the word groomer just doesnt roll off my tongue.

Comment

Working...
                              X