Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dog Owner...First Time Forum User

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dog Owner...First Time Forum User

    Hi,

    I have never posted to a forum before, so bare with me.

    I am a pet owner of a small white mixed breed dog. She is probably a shitzu-maltese. I adopted her when she was about 4 years old and I have had her for 2 years. She has always had tear staining issues. I would say very minor, as her eyes are cleaned daily and she is groomed regularly. Her face and space between eyes and nose are always kept shaved clean by the groomer. Comparing her to other dogs that I have met, her staining is very well maintained. Some dogs seem to have raccoon eyes?

    Having spoken to many pet owners about their experience with tear staining, in addition to veterinarians it seems like this seems to be genetic in general. I know food and health issues could play a part in this. I do the best I can to keep her eyes clean but in the long run the hair always seems to stain. And she is in great health, no concerns there.

    Does anyone have any suggestions? I have heard of Angel Eyes. Someone told me it was an antibiotic and I know its not best for a dog to be on antibiotics if they don't need to.

    From talking to people, the general consensus about veterinarian opinions is that the tear staining "is just something you will have to deal with". "tear stains come with small breeds". "there isn't much that can be done about tear stainings, it just happens".

    This sounds silly to me. There has to be a reason that certain dogs have tear staining problems and most don't.

    Can anyone give me some insight and help with this?

    I also have a friend that has a havanese and her dog's tear staining is horrific. It literally looks like the dog has permanent black eyes (but more rusty red). She also has her dog groomed regularly but that definitely isn't helping.

    HELP!

  • #2
    Did you try the search engine, here? I know lots of talk about this over time. I have seen food changes make a difference. Probably some is genetic, I have seen vet surgeries to build bigger ducts too. But anything you can with any allergies is likely to help. Not only food but the super probiotics, and some apple cider vinegar.

    Comment


    • #3
      Tear staining is caused by diet and water. Giving your dog distilled water and a high quality diet can help. Angels eyes products may contain an antibiotic called tylosin that kills the yeast and bacteria causing the staining from tears and saliva. After consumers started demanding more natural alternatives the company created an all natural line to meet consumer demand without tylosin. There are also other natural products like Cry baby you can purchase. Wiping the eyes daily will also be of help. No matter what you choose though, it will always be an issue and these tools will help keep it down but ultimately it will never completely go away.

      Here is a link with some more helpful information.
      http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...-staining.aspx
      It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
      Henry David Thoreau

      Comment


      • #4
        Instead of Angel Eyes I know people that have a tried a light does of colloidal silver that worked good without resorting to antibiotics.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Naturally Furry View Post
          Tear staining is caused by diet and water. Giving your dog distilled water and a high quality diet can help. Angels eyes products may contain an antibiotic called tylosin that kills the yeast and bacteria causing the staining from tears and saliva. After consumers started demanding more natural alternatives the company created an all natural line to meet consumer demand without tylosin. There are also other natural products like Cry baby you can purchase. Wiping the eyes daily will also be of help. No matter what you choose though, it will always be an issue and these tools will help keep it down but ultimately it will never completely go away.

          Here is a link with some more helpful information.
          http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...-staining.aspx
          Not "consumer demand" more like the FDA was on their backs.

          https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary.../ucm412162.htm

          Scott

          Comment


          • #6
            30% quality Collodial Silver is a must among other things we do for our Shih Tzu's. It can be treated with time and the right knowledge...is it alright to post a link to our Shih Tzu community for other new members that might want to help their pets.

            Comment


            • #7
              I use colloidal silver for me with great results.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BengalCatGuy View Post
                Not "consumer demand" more like the FDA was on their backs.

                https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary.../ucm412162.htm

                Scott
                Oh! Good to know. Nice to see the FDA actually doing it's job for once.
                It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                Henry David Thoreau

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have used colloidal silver too, you just need to know the right PPM for the pet.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BengalCatGuy View Post
                    Not "consumer demand" more like the FDA was on their backs.

                    https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary.../ucm412162.htm

                    Scott
                    Yeah.. ain't THAT the truth.. and I was kind of sad because it worked sooo well for sooo many of my clients.
                    Debbie
                    There's always room for another rose in the garden.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Naturally Furry View Post
                      Oh! Good to know. Nice to see the FDA actually doing it's job for once.
                      Actually, not really.. they still let vets prescribe Convenia, which is an injectable antibiotic and approved ONLY for skin infections.. but vets give it willy nilly regardless of the damage it may do to cats. And if you really want my ire with the FDA.. how about they let doctors give an anti-nausea drug to pregnant women, called Zofran.. NOT approved for pregnant woman.. it's used in cancer patients.. but okay, use it off label.. and I have 4 grandkids, because my dil took it... who now have these odd birth defects from it. Nothing visible.. thank goodness. But the oldest grandson (aged 7) was born with hypospadia.. the urethra was on the underside of the penis (surgery corrected). #2 grandchild (aged 5) has not only optic nerve hypoplasia.. which is a smaller than normal optic nerve, but has enamel hypoplasia.. meaning.. he has no enamel on his baby teeth. Permanent teeth.. we won't know till they come in. And Granddaughter #3 (aged 3) also has enamel hypoplasia. Grandson #4 (aged 2) we don't know yet. They are involved in a lawsuit right now because you know those teeth... that could be pricey doing implants if the permanent teeth fall apart.

                      Then they go after this one stupid little tylosin which works great for those tear stains.. freak out over antibiotic overuse.. but plug our farm animals full of antibiotics. I'm sorry.. I think it's a mess!
                      Debbie
                      There's always room for another rose in the garden.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Pipsmom1 View Post
                        30% quality Collodial Silver is a must among other things we do for our Shih Tzu's. It can be treated with time and the right knowledge...is it alright to post a link to our Shih Tzu community for other new members that might want to help their pets.
                        I would LOVE to know.. I have several clients who are pulling their hair out. You can also pm me!!
                        Debbie
                        There's always room for another rose in the garden.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X