Clippers and other items 101 - Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clippers and other items 101 - Help Please

Hello All - I am in the process of selecting the right tools. I have a long list of items to purchase including clippers. I originally had decided on the Oster Turbo 2 speed a5 clippers but as I am going through this site I am noticing many folks are very happy with the Andis Excel 2 speed clippers. I have small hands so comfort is key for me - weight, grip and etc. I'm working with an independent shop - not a big box retailer - so I will purchase my tools as I learn.

The first month of my training includes baths, brushing, nails, ears, sanitary trim, paw/pad trimming. Then I move into Legs and Body training with electric clippers for another few weeks. The training builds week over week. I'm in a position that I would rather buy quality tools that I can use for years to come.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I've learned so many helpful hints from these forums already - looking forward to learning much more from the experts here.

Your hands would hate the Oster A5 clippers. I would go with the Andis Excel 5 speed, very easy on small hands (just be sure to use tie wraps on the cord.....see Northern Tails site). Shears are a individual preference, look at Northern Tails while you are on their site.....they have some nice shears, thinners, chunkers. Nail clippers I use are the Resco Pro Series (been grooming 30 yrs and these are my favorites ). Slicker brushs, I love Tuffer than Tangles. ....most here prefer greyhound combs, but I like the Resco or PawBrothers combs.
    I am sure more will chime in soon. Welcome to the industry and to this wonderful forum!
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Thank you so much Cyn - really appreciate it! And thank you for the welcome to the industry. I'm not a spring chicken (42 - but age is only a number, right?) and entering a new industry can be overwhelming. I spent 20 years in corporate marketing and then found myself in real estate. People always say you need to do what you love - and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being around dogs. So go with the 5 speed not the 2 speed?

Comment

one other question that I was hoping someone can weigh in on .... cordless clippers? they seem like a great tool to have in addition to the corded version. Do most agree - disagree or should a newbie get comfy with corded clipper and then move on? If it is something that I am going to purchase anyway - I think I would rather have it on hand. Thoughts? (and thank you all again)

Comment

I love my Excel 5 speed but they did come out with the 2 speed after so there must be a demand for the 2 speed, I just prefer the 5 speed.
          For a cordless most of us on here use the Wahl Bravaras w/ SS combs...... if you can afford to go ahead and buy it, might as well.
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Firstly, welcome to a great industry and a wonderful forum! As you read through the wealth of info here you will discover that there are many of us who came to realize this was our passion as 'mature' adults!
            Without this board I might never have discovered the Wahl Bravura and learned that the SS combs are far superior to the plastic ones, as well as about bathing systems( none where I was trained) fluff dryers (again, none), time, health, and energy saving techniques for deshedding, and so much more.
            I received an Oster A6 as part of my grooming kit and also have an Andis Ultra Edge clipper. Can't say I love either for my small hands, but they work and other investments are more pressing. So regarding a corded clipper and shears, they are expensive mistakes if they aren't comfortable in your hand. See if you can "play" with the ones the other groomers at the shop have to see how they feel, and hie thee away to an expo if you can before making the investment. Check out frankroweandson.com for a list of upcoming events, and go with an experienced groomer if possible because they are overwhelming for a newbie (as I learned). Shears too are such an individualized thing, but getting your hands on a few to see what is comfortable will save you tons of money. Good luck!

Comment

I have small hands and started out with Andis UltraEdge 2 speed. Good clippers, still have rhem as back up. The Excell 5 speed are a big hit in salons too.

As far as cordless, I have heard nothing bad ever about the Wahl Bravura, and wish I had one. I instead purchased the Andis UltraEdge+ 5speed (corded) clipper and like them fine. Eventaully upgraded them to the cordless option and have 2 batteries for it. With batteries they are definitely heavier, but I like the cordless option as I am a mentor and bounce around to other stations in my salon. The batteries aren't going to last forever, after a year of use they already don't run as long. Have a corded option if you get a cordless clipper, you never know when you'll need it.

Get good quality shears. Buy the best quality you can afford at the time when you buy. Brand is preference, go to an expo and hold some if you are able (you'll usually get a deal if you buy there too). Shears need to fit your hand. Invest in some rubber finger rings if you have thin fingers. But buy good quality because with shears it makes such a difference. If you buy cheap, you have to work harder to get a good finish and that inhibits your learning. Personally, I love my Kenchii shears. I didn't start with them, but they make my grooms come out so much better and with ease.

Comment

Hands down, andis excel 5 speed, esp for smaller hands. Use those for your main clipping/body work. For cordless, get the Wahl bravura. It has the 5 in 1 blade (40,30,15,10, and 9 blades) and is great for prep work-sanitary, feet, and face. Some people even use it for everything, but I still prefer my corded clipper. Plus the 5 in 1 blade doesn't get hot! They recommend not using a cleaning/coolant spray on them, as that eats away at the plastic on clipper...just brush/blow hair out and oil blade. Both andis excel and Wahl bravura work with the wahl stainless steel comb set (2 different sets to fit the regular blade and then the 5 in 1 blade) and they are a must have! You can find a lot of deals online right now that offer a deal for clipper and comb set.
                As for shears, everyone here has stated that its personal preference, and that is 100% correct. As a groomer, you will find yourself getting addicted to buying any and all types of shears...we've all been there! Definitely go for quality...it's an investment in your future, and worth every penny. When I started, I got the cheap ones on amazon (yes I can feel everyone cringing right now). They worked for training purposes, but they got dull so fast, and sharpening them was almost as expensive as buying a new set. Then I went to the Grooming expo in Hershey...and wow...my mind was blown. Those shows, if you can make it to one, is more valuable than anything. They have every company, with anything and everything you can imagine for grooming...imagine an adult version of a kid in a candy store. Once you start trying out scissors, there will be one that feels like it was meant to sit in your hand...and it will cut like butter...then you know you've found your match. For me, it was kenchii.
                Look for a good quality thinning shear...you can do everything with those. They are the best friend you didn't know you had!
                On groomers choice.com, you can get shears from the Jay Scruggs line (expensive) and they let you try them out for 2 weeks, and if your not happy with them, you can return them.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by oneandahalfgoldens View Post
                  Thank you so much Cyn - really appreciate it! And thank you for the welcome to the industry. I'm not a spring chicken (42 - but age is only a number, right?) and entering a new industry can be overwhelming. I spent 20 years in corporate marketing and then found myself in real estate. People always say you need to do what you love - and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being around dogs. So go with the 5 speed not the 2 speed?
                  I got my best feathers in the 40's.

Comment

Working...
                  X