Anxious to groom newble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxious to groom newble

Hello from Pa and I'm happy to find this group ! Two years ago I began pet boarding in my home. I was interested in learning safe bathing for guest and attended one day in a pet salon bathing the dogs. Through the year, I attempted 2 dog grooming's and knew I needed training. I have completed one month of schooling and received my certificate. Now, I'm hoping to get some part time work working in a salon since I can't groom in my home without a variance. Even with one, I figure I could only bring in around 10,000 a year for dog grooming, due to traffic restrictions. Which leads me to my current situation of offering free grooming to dogs that stay over for 7 days since I can pet sit here. Anyway I'm anxious to start grooming!

What kind of grooming businesses are in your area? Some time ago I was able to get 1 or 2 days bathing at a shop part time and the experience was great then. You can still learn a lot more just working around a shop. If you can afford it I would join learn2groomdogs.com and watch ALL the videos you can. You just pay a monthly charge, and you can ask questions here. So does the boarding keep you at home lots, not sure I understand all that you do.

Comment

Originally posted by 1mobilegroomer View Post
      What kind of grooming businesses are in your area? Some time ago I was able to get 1 or 2 days bathing at a shop part time and the experience was great then. You can still learn a lot more just working around a shop. If you can afford it I would join learn2groomdogs.com and watch ALL the videos you can. You just pay a monthly charge, and you can ask questions here. So does the boarding keep you at home lots, not sure I understand all that you do.
      Thanks for your advice! I will go ahead and watch the video's. Currently, I do have busy times around holidays with the boarding a max of 6 dogs, but have no problem with getting away from the house, hence the desire for part-time work. (Many of the dogs are working parents dogs).

Comment

just curious, what are the "traffic restrictions"?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuckie View Post
          just curious, what are the "traffic restrictions"?
          That's one thing that varies everywhere in the US and all over areas even within the same state, so it is a good question. The easiest way cities, towns and states can dissuade some types of home businesses, even HOA's, is setting a restricting number of customers that can come to the groomer's home (or other trades in the home). I know lots of locations in California that only allow ONE customer A DAY to come to a home business. Drop off counts as one, pickup counts as one, in other words even one pet owner coming and going in one day is over limit.
          Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Comment

Originally posted by livyps128 View Post
            Hello from Pa and I'm happy to find this group ! Two years ago I began pet boarding in my home. I was interested in learning safe bathing for guest and attended one day in a pet salon bathing the dogs. Through the year, I attempted 2 dog grooming's and knew I needed training. I have completed one month of schooling and received my certificate. Now, I'm hoping to get some part time work working in a salon since I can't groom in my home without a variance. Even with one, I figure I could only bring in around 10,000 a year for dog grooming, due to traffic restrictions. Which leads me to my current situation of offering free grooming to dogs that stay over for 7 days since I can pet sit here. Anyway I'm anxious to start grooming!
            Love your passion, keep on.

Comment

Originally posted by livyps128 View Post
              I was like that too and keep at it.

Comment

Working...
              X