Just graduated from Nanhall NC academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just graduated from Nanhall NC academy

I just graduated from 3 month grooming school(very accredited). I found a little grooming shop nearby with the owner as the groomer. She has one bather. She grooms mabye 8 dogs a day. I have been working there for free for 2 weeks because of my speed is still slow, and just needed some help on finished up grooms. She has been very helpful and she says she will pay me for a dog or 2 next week if I can finish without any help. She will pay 50 50. She is only open 4 days a weeks and I don't think I will be making any money. Is this normal in the beginning? Luckily I am living at hoe again with my parents but I really want to make it on my own. I'm 32 so I would like to move out some point.
    I also will have a work interview with another owner/only groomer in a small shop. She will pay 40/50. If all works out I will work there 2 days a week.
    Do veterinarians pay by the hour?
    I would just like something regular-8-5 Mond-Friday. I hate all this changing one person to another person. I just want a steady job but I feel like I am not ready to be in super busy grooming shop/coorporate. I don't like Petsmart because it is very stressful to me. The loud noises, all the people talking, grooming so many dogs fast for money, and just the coorporate atmosphere is not my personality at all. I am a bit on the slow side in grooming, big coorporate chains stress me because I am always struggling to keep up the pace. I am never happy in coorporate. I worked in call center 3 years and I have ADD and Anxiety and it was always a struggle with all the people talking around you and the non stop calls that are uncontrollable.
    I really want a steady job, would love to be paid hourly, and not super big chain.
    Can anyone give me some advice? I want to be able to live off this career and I don't know if I should be looking at other places?
    thank you

anyone there????

Comment

Sorry, but I don't think you will find any steady grooming jobs with Monday-Friday schedule. Most grooming salons, corporate or not, require weekend availability, because usually Saturdays are busiest days.
      Also, you can't demand getting paid 50% right out of school if you don't have previous experience. And it definitely will not be steady for a while, until you get enough clients/request customers.
      I am not discouraging you, just saying be prepared it will take a while to get your experience, and smooth running.

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
        Sorry, but I don't think you will find any steady grooming jobs with Monday-Friday schedule. Most grooming salons, corporate or not, require weekend availability, because usually Saturdays are busiest days.
        Also, you can't demand getting paid 50% right out of school if you don't have previous experience. And it definitely will not be steady for a while, until you get enough clients/request customers.
        I am not discouraging you, just saying be prepared it will take a while to get your experience, and smooth running.
        Agreed! If you wanted a M-F 8/9-5pm job with steady, hourly pay then you got into the wrong industry, or you may be looking for a while to find that scenario. The average groomer job is commission-based, not hourly (unless you are a bather or grooming assistant, and their hourly is closer to minimum wage). Many successful groomers put the time and effort into building relationships over time with clients so as to build a book of repeat, frequent appointments.

You might be happier working 'behind the scenes' as a bather/dryer/grooming assistant where you can make an hourly wage with less time spent answering phones and interacting with clients. Working in the grooming department of a veterinary hospital can also provide more regular income, benefits, etc. if corporate is not a good fit for you.

Comment

I worked in a small shop as a bather and then trained as a groomer and subsequently went to school while working as an apprentice, I was never paid more than 40%, BUT I bought the business after 4 years and now......all I can say is WOW! During my stent as a bather/groomer my husband lost his job and my job had to make ends meet so it is possible to support yourself modestly on this type of income. If you worked in a place like the above post suggested (vets office etc.) You will gain knowledge of how to schedule, interact with customers etc. these things are also important components of a grooming business. I am like you in that I just wanted to sit in a quiet back room and groom all day so I think I know what you are looking for. You may find a situation like that but you need to be willing to do anything that comes your way to gain experience til you have the knowledge to pick and choose or be on your own. BTW, my shop is at my home now. Very quiet and peaceful and all the money is mine. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Comment

Welcome Nat! I am like you in that I'm easily overwhelmed by and sensitive to constant inane chatter and loud noises, not so much by the phones or barking. The school I attend is SUPER noisy like that and it works my nerves! I am also a slow groomer, but guess what? Whereas I could only do two dogs a day before, as I've gotten more comfortable both with my tools and my abilities, I've picked up some speed. I go to school 3x/week and in these 4 months, I can now do 4 dogs in the same amount of time. Not only that, but I got a job part time in a nice quiet salon to get even more experience and guidance while I'm in school, where the owner is willing to help me hone my skills. I'm not making a ton of money, but I've got my foot in the door!

You need to find a nice quiet place where you can work until you can save up enough money and become skilled enough to go out on your own confidently. I have a friend who does housecall grooming. He sets up a little pop up tent in front of the client's house, he has a tub and table and a clipper vac. He sets up a cute little sign advertising who he is and 8 months in, he is booked solid and has hired another groomer. People love that their pet is being done on their property! The neighbors come by and talk to him and the owner - everyone loves it. He's now buying a trailer to expand his little venture. That type of set-up, once you're ready, may be better for you. You can go at your own speed, set up your own appointments, and not have to deal with annoying coworkers. You will need some initial startup money to set yourself up with your equipment, but my friend started with a tub and table and posted flyers in his neighbors' mailboxes and local grocery stores and the like. He added the rest as he went along.

ABDG is right though, Saturday should be your busiest day! All those people who work M-F need to get their pets groomed and Saturday is generally the only day they can get that done. You're young and adaptable. You can make it happen, but things don't just fall out of the sky. You're lucky to be able to rely on your parents for the majority of your living expenses. Now you just have to get out there and MAKE IT HAPPEN, only you can do that for yourself. Hope this helps!

Comment

ABDG -thank you for the response. I didn't mean not working saturdays. That would be great. Right now I am working 4 days a week 9am-130; 25 hrs part time Yes, I will be patient because I know it takes time to build working skills after school. I will have to find another part time job in the meantime

Comment

Thanks for the advice ladies---The lady I'm working for is going to start paying me for dogs that I groom. If I don't need any assistance from her(meaning finish work)she will pay me half. If I need her assistance in something she will deduct 10 dollars of 50-50. She will pay me under the table, I guess since she does not give W2 forms or I will not get taxes back at the end of the year I don't know if that is good. But I feel comfortable there because it is a small shop and she helps me a bit with how she wants her dogs groomed.
                I am only working 24 hours and not getting paid hardly anything. Is this normal coming out of school?

Thanks

Comment

SANDY-Also I do not think I am confident enough about my skills to go out on my own such as vet office (where there is just me). No one to ask questions and talking to customers all day.
                  I want to eventually venture out into a bigger salon once I feel confident enough about my skills.
                  You are right Sandy, I like working in a nice quiet place with help from groomer until I feel good enough to go out and be by myself.

Comment

Thank you for your respnse Iyttle. I am not opposed to working Saturdays, in fact I want that. Right now, I'm only working 25 hrs a week so I would need another part time job to get some money rolling in.
                    Do you know if vet offices pay by the hour? Yes I would love benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Countrygrl View Post
                      I worked in a small shop as a bather and then trained as a groomer and subsequently went to school while working as an apprentice, I was never paid more than 40%, BUT I bought the business after 4 years and now......all I can say is WOW! During my stent as a bather/groomer my husband lost his job and my job had to make ends meet so it is possible to support yourself modestly on this type of income. If you worked in a place like the above post suggested (vets office etc.) You will gain knowledge of how to schedule, interact with customers etc. these things are also important components of a grooming business. I am like you in that I just wanted to sit in a quiet back room and groom all day so I think I know what you are looking for. You may find a situation like that but you need to be willing to do anything that comes your way to gain experience til you have the knowledge to pick and choose or be on your own. BTW, my shop is at my home now. Very quiet and peaceful and all the money is mine. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!
                      Country Girl- Hey so glad you bought the business! what an accomplishment

Comment

Working...
                      X