New Member Need help on choosing mobile or home for grooming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Need help on choosing mobile or home for grooming

Hi All, I am new here and am eager to hear some advice please. I am starting my grooming business and don't know if I should go mobile or just make my basement into a salon. The area where I live has no mobile grooming close by, but there are grooming shops, but my friends are saying how convenient it would be to have it in my basement. I am able to purchase a van or use the money to convert my basement. My question is which is more profitable and less stress? I live in New England and have to deal with crazy winters, so that may be a problem. I am just so confused and need some advice please. Thank you

How long have you been grooming? More importantly, how fast are you? Mobile usually is more profitable because you charge more but you also have to be fast groomer. I know I will never go mobile, first, because I hate driving, and second, I am not fast enough.
    As for converting your basement, check first if you are zoned properly. Not all residential areas will allow you to operate business out of your house.

Comment

I say go mobile, I had a shop in my home which was fine but you never get to leave work, I have a lot less dust, hair etc etc in my home since I've gone mobile. Plus as you said there are no mobile groomers close. I'm the only one in my area (a few 30 min north of me) as for saying you have to be "fast" I book about an hr a dog with anywhere from 30 min to an hr inbetween stops. I'm in northeast ohio so we deal with winter (not like you guys) just have to make sure your water system is nice and insulated. I would do a drive able unit as towing a trailer in bad road conditions could flip your tow vehicle. Plus as a mobile you can charge about double what a brick and mortar shop.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I would also go mobile. I thought about home based and just couldn't stomach the thought of having to say go away, I'm closed, and this is my home.

Comment

I am home-based. Having to turn people away hasn't been a problem for me. I was very strict about that from the beginning. My shop keeps regular hours, and is by appt only. It also is a separate building from my house. You say a basement? Don't like the idea of stairs-some dogs won't do them, and the old guys can't do them. Probably, for that reason, I also think mobile is your best bet.
          Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Is it legal to have grooming in your home? That is important, but heck, nothing wrong with mobile.

Comment

Just found out today that I am residential zoned, no more basement idea, have to go mobile.

Comment

I just found out today that my house is in the residential zone so I can't do it in my basement, I have to go mobile. Everyone is freaking me out saying I will hate it because it will be such a pain. Do you enjoy it? I hate when I let people who don't even groom get in my head, now I'm nervous. Any advice? Thanks

Comment

It is the best decision I've made in my grooming career. I LOVE it! I have a trailer and dieting nice weather I pop the doors open and it's like working outside. Hubs made me a gate to block the side door so pets can't escape. Why are they saying it will be a pain?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have found most mobile groomers to have a passion for mobile so you know, just listen to them and go uh huh, gotta go mobile now. You can get lots of good advice in the mobile forum here.

Comment

I just started mobile in December and I LOVE it!! Takes some adjusting... I've flooded my trailer, forgot to shut my side door and my vacuum flew out when I turned a corner, and killed my battery for my water pump because I forgot to turn the switch off!! You've got to remember the little things! But I love the freedom and relaxed atmosphere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X