Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

I am new here. My husband and I opened a grooming/boarding retail facility in the fall of 2012. Its what I always wanted to do and I was supposed to be there full time. Well a couple weeks before we opened I had some health issues and now I can't afford to leave my full time job (secretary) and lose the insurance. The only way I could get any training was an on line grooming course, so I've basically taught myself what I know. I work at my other job thru the week and groom on Saturday's. So far we have hired and trained people to groom thru the week. We can't keep the doors open if we don't have a full time groomer. We are in a small town, population 2500, about an hour away from Kansas City. Just wondering how you all set your prices. I feel like we are leaving money on the table. $30/full groom small to medium, $40 to $50/full groom large. $5/nail trims unless they are being groomed and that is included of course, $20/$30 bath. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and cats $25.

I am a cat groomer, so my suggestion is about the cat grooming part of your business. I give a price range for cat grooming, because there is a difference in time and effort depending on the cat's fur length, fur condition, and behavior. Grooming a short-haired cat takes less time and effort than a long-haired cat. Grooming a matted cat requires more skill than grooming an un-matted cat. Grooming a cat who bites and scratches requires more skill and involves more risk than grooming a more relaxed cat. Your prices seem very low to me, but I live in NYC where everything costs much more. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Memaw Sam View Post
      I am new here. My husband and I opened a grooming/boarding retail facility in the fall of 2012. Its what I always wanted to do and I was supposed to be there full time. Well a couple weeks before we opened I had some health issues and now I can't afford to leave my full time job (secretary) and lose the insurance. The only way I could get any training was an on line grooming course, so I've basically taught myself what I know. I work at my other job thru the week and groom on Saturday's. So far we have hired and trained people to groom thru the week. We can't keep the doors open if we don't have a full time groomer. We are in a small town, population 2500, about an hour away from Kansas City. Just wondering how you all set your prices. I feel like we are leaving money on the table. $30/full groom small to medium, $40 to $50/full groom large. $5/nail trims unless they are being groomed and that is included of course, $20/$30 bath. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and cats $25.
      What does it cost each week to operate? How are you paying current staff hourly or commission? Everyone was trained in house correct? Have you done research on the cost of grooming services within a 10-30 mile range? How many groom pets do you see per week on average? Are your boarding rates low? Most places make a killing in just boarding and grooming is just the gravy. How are you priced for boarding and how full are you? If I go out into the middle of no where here with houses in the 50k-100k range the grooming start prices are still $40-45 plus for small pets. What is the general income of your area? Typical starting home price? I wouldn't bother to do cats if all your getting is $25 for haircut or is this a bath? Prices should easily be double even in poor economic areas.

Comment

Just wanted to say welcome!!

Comment

Working...
        X