new groomer starting late in life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new groomer starting late in life

hi everyone, I am happy to finally be a groomer. it took me a long time to do it. I am 52 and just getting started. so if any of you experienced groomers can throw some advice my way I am all ears or should i say eyes. I just got my certification last year and jumped right in. I have a small home shop that I started around Oct of o6. I have a standard poodle named Rosco, 4birds and a lizard. oh and a great son who is very handy. He remolded the car port into a great shop for me. a tub with a walk in ramp and more. but as I am find out the is still a lot to learn. so far my customers seem happy with my work. but I want to learn more. I would love to learn to do creative grooming. Any advice there. I would also like to go to grooming shows. but not sure what is out there. I am in Tampa Bay area of Florida. Oh so much to learn , why didn't I do this when I was younger. Please tell me its never to late to be a groomer and be a good one. If any one is interested I have before and after pictures. I would love some critiquing on my work. I' ll stop rambling . I don't want to scare any one off .Just want to talk grooming. thanks .

I am the same age as you 52 and have been grooming for a year. It's good to hear you have such a nice set up where you are and a helper son. I know there is a grooming show coming up in Florida. You could bring your son with you and you can enjoy it together. It would be alot fun.You can take classes and watch the demonstrations and the grooming compititions and look at all the products at the Trade Show. It's a whole world of grooming. I don't think it's ever to late to learn anything if you really want it, enjoy it and makes you happy.

Even if you have set backs and make mistakes,you can learn from them. You still have to carry on if it means that much to you. It's a never ending learning process and not always easy.

Everyone here loves to talk grooming so you can always hang with us. Think of starting to groom at 52 is like starting a new life.That's a wonderful thing.
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

wetzone... where can we get info on the upcoming grooming show in Tampa? I would love to attend, I never been to one. Thanks!

and Pat.... one is never too old to start grooming. If you do a search on the board (the old board also) you will be surprised at how many started grooming in their 50's. Welcome to the site!!

Comment

Welcome!

There was a one day event on April 29th, Super Session with Sue Zecco and Jay Scruggs.
        There is also a really nice Conference in October called Fun in the Sun hosted be the NDGAA.
        I am around your age and have enjoyed my Mobile Groooming Business for 3 years.
        Reading the board is my touchstone for ongoing success and comfort.
        Welcome to the board. Here is were you can learn sooo much on a daily basis in the comfort of your own living rooom.

Comment

Hi Pat

I'll be 52 next month and have been grooming since I was 12. I love it. I have had my own shop since 18. It's a great way to earn a living. If your clients are happy with your work thats half the battle but its always good to learn new techniques..best of luck. Liz

Comment

click on calendar at the top of this page. for each month it shows events. cape canaveral fl is in oct. that would be fun for you!! That is through NDGAA, check out under associations tab. welcome to the board!
            cheri
            Last edited by hairdevil; 07-05-07, 08:56 PM.

Comment

It is never too late to do anything you want to do. In fact, to NOT do something you want to do is a big mistake. As they say on TV, we only have one life to live. Life is short, too short to play it safe all the time. My only advice is to jump in with both feet, not with one foot in and one foot out. You have to invest yourself fully to reap the reward. Oh, my other advice is to invest in much Advil.

Comment

Hi Pat! No, I do not think you are too old to be doing this now... all that matters is that you have the drive and passion for it. Just love what you do, it's as simple as that. The other groomer I work with is 61 years old and man, can she groom! She can groom circles around me and she's over twice my age (she's been grooming for over 25 yrs.)! I think that age doesn't have much to do with it as long as you're in decent physical condition (because grooming can be hard work). You go girl!!! :-)

Karey

Comment

Welcome

I groomed long ago, left grooming for the corporate medical insurance office while raising my son. Came back to grooming a couple of years ago at 58. Now I'm getting close to 61. Yesterday as a for instance I bathed and hand dryed a Newfoundland, a Shepherd/Corgi big mix, a Shepard mix 5 mo. old and a groomed a Brittany. I pat myself on the back that I can do that well at this age. I sort of think if I keep on going, I'll be able to keep on going. I am very careful with keeping my back straight, and using great tools. The 60's now are closer to the 40's of yester year. I'm sure you will always be grateful.
                  Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Welcome! I too am in Florida (the Orlando area).

Kristen

Comment

Welcome to the board! I am also in Tampa, I own a shop in the Carrollwood area which I opened in the fall of 2006 as well. I'm also a new groomer after a 10-year career in the corporate world. Did you go to school in Tampa?

Feel free to stop in if you're ever in the area. My info is on my website under my profile. Good luck with your home business!

Comment

The right stuff

Originally posted by Arrooh View Post
                        I groomed long ago, left grooming for the corporate medical insurance office while raising my son. Came back to grooming a couple of years ago at 58. Now I'm getting close to 61. Yesterday as a for instance I bathed and hand dryed a Newfoundland, a Shepherd/Corgi big mix, a Shepard mix 5 mo. old and a groomed a Brittany. I pat myself on the back that I can do that well at this age. I sort of think if I keep on going, I'll be able to keep on going. I am very careful with keeping my back straight, and using great tools. The 60's now are closer to the 40's of yester year. I'm sure you will always be grateful.
                        Arrooh

You're my hero!!! I'm 56 and and in grooming school (after taking early retirment). I too carry my weight by taking on any and all dogs that come my way. You have the right attitude both in terms of the work and taking of yourself. Keep up the great work. I look forward to hearing from you more often.

Comment

Good for you

You guys are too much. I am 52 and feel like I can't go on at times. BUT if you treat your back right and have good help, you will go on and on like the energizer bunny. --GOOD HELP!

Comment

Welcome!

to the world of grooming. Sounds like you are going to love your work. I might advise you to think twice about taking on the big dogs. I love them with all my heart but I am in my fifties and I can't count on being able to save them from hurting themselves if they slipped or jumped. Sometimes my back hurts enough from standing on my head doing the tiny little ones.
                            Melissa Ver Planke is offering and all day seminar in Orlando on August 1st.
                            Cape Canaveral is a real nice Conference.
                            I am in the Tampa area also. A few groomers that I know get together for lunch once in a while. I hate when we have to say good-bye because we have so much fun talking dogs and business and products and equipment and...I get the giggles for several days after from some of the stories we share. It's just 3,4, or 5 of us and we are each Mobile groomers.
                            Amy I love your website. I would love to visit your shop one day.

Comment

i will be 46 this year. started grooming at 38 and owned my business at 40. welcome. you are never to old to do ANYTHING. i am getting a pair of rollerblades this week.
                              Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                              "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Working...
                              X