Just starting out....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting out....

Hi everyone, I am totally new to all of this; the board, grooming, mobile. I am only about 3 weeks into grooming school, I am in home pet sitter in the KC, metro area. I was planning on working a doggy daycare until I had spoke with a semi-local mobile groomer. That just appealed to me even more. I am not one to be stuck to one place, I love to be able to drive around and get fresh air when I want to. This and my pet sitting business I think will be perfect for me.

I am hopeing to pick everyones brains and get great ideas that I have never even thought of.

I would like to ask a question to all, what is it that ya'll would've liked to know when you first started out that you know now? I know there's probably a ton of stuff but I'm here to learn.

Thanks a ton,

Kitt
    Sitters For Your Kritters

Just starting out....

The best advice I can give you is --Don't rush yourself! Make sure that you master all your basic skills before moving forward to more advanced work. Don't worry about speed at first, just worry about doing the task the way its supposed to be done. Concentrate on the QUALITY, not the QUANTITY. Welcome to the wonderful world of grooming!

Comment

Welcome! As for you question I can't narrow it down to just one thing,lol! The first and one of the hardest was to be a people pleaser.Yes I do want to make the owners happy,but not at the expence of the dog's or my comfort.I will do what is best for the dog and if the owner does not agree then my van and I know the way home! I have also learned that my services are not "On Sale"I do not sell myself short by offering multiple discounts,coupons ect.I know my limitations and I don't allow my ego to make the decions.I have also learned when a dog is good enough; I have a schedual to keep! lol The best of luck to you.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I am about 5 weeks into my grooming school (Sat only for right now). My teacher (35 years of experience) has told me that she thinks I will be an excellent groomer. Very attentive, very good with the dogs and I'm kinda picky about the final result. If something is not in place when the dog leaves I have to fix it. I have to tell you, that I had taken the online class for pet grooming @ Penn Fosters and now I'm just doing the hands on stuff that I learned. My teacher is more than willing to drop the pricing on her grooming class to help with that, which is great. I let her look @ the paperwork that I had done and she even learned some stuff, so it's a win win.

Anyway, I'm rambeling again. Thank you for all of the advice and if you can think of anymore I'd be appreciate of any advice.

Kitt
        Sitters For Your Kritters

Comment

Welcome to the board!

Comment

Working...
          X