New and need advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and need advice!

Hi everyone! My name's Shannon and I just recently sent in all of my information for grooming academy and start on June 1st! I am super excited. I've been working as a bather at a Petsomething (that's what I think you guys call it), and so I don't have most of my tools yet. I already picked up my clippers (Andis UltraEdge AGC 2 Speed) and got a sweet deal due to my groomer discount. I'm just stuck on shears now.

I'm going to go on the recommendation of my groomer buddies and get Geibs. I just have one big problem. I live in southern Florida (Broward County) and I don't know where to go. I'm debating between the Gators and Entrees, and while I can play around with a friend's Gators, I'd love to hold the Entrees for myself before I make my decision. I've unfortunately had problems with the only groomer supplier I know of and would rather not buy from him. I'm not sure where to find these shears so I can hold them for myself. Any help would be appreciated. I want to make the right decision. I am also female with fairly small hands, so I'm leaning towards the Entrees. I just don't want to regret my decision later.

Thanks a lot, guys. I look forward to learning from you all, and I've found tons of information already. Also, I shaved my first paw pads today (it's a big deal, okay)!

buy from Geib direct

You can buy direct from Geib online www.geibshears.com

I have some Crocs straights and I really like them. Can't comment about the Entree though.

Comment

Welcome to the board.

Congratulations on getting into grooming school. June 1st - very exciting. Best of luck to you.

As for your shear dilemma: I think Geib's are a good investment for you. I don't know if the Gator or the Entree would work better for you.
      "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Geibs are great! You can't go wrong with them. Not sure which will fit you better though. Can you buy both and send one back?
        www.gomobileandsucceed.com
        http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I think I'm just going to suck it up and head into his shop to try them out. I'll apologize for the misunderstanding and say I'd like to continue business. Worst he can do it kick me out!

Comment

If you need to hold a set...

Isn't Geib in Winter Park, Florida? Oops - just checked, they are in Orlando. Do they have a showroom there?? You should call and ask, plus they will know of people closest to you selling their shears.

Comment

Went to the shop today and they didn't even have the Entrees. Fortunately, I really dig the Gators, and if I could change anything, would make them slightly smaller and lighter. That being said, I'll probably order the Entrees tonight.

Comment

Entree

I have the Entree thinnners and really like them (nice and light). I have 2 pairs of Gators. For me they are bulky and heavy compared to my buttercuts (which is what I was used to-got the Gators cuz I didn't want to shell out the money for another pair of buttercuts at the time). If you can afford the buttercuts or the Entrees go with them. Not to waiver but Gators are great entry level shears. The girl I work with still has a 7" straight pair that she got in grooming school 16 years ago. Good luck with whatever you choose!!!!

Comment

I'm pretty new to this too! I've been grooming for real for about 2 months now. I finished grooming school in February. I bought my first set from Kenchii. It was the 3 pc Scorpion set that has 8" curved, 8" straight, and a 44 tooth thinning shears for $240. I think they're pretty nice and I also got the same set when I went to grooming school. Kenchii has some pretty expensive shears that you can see from their site. I've used other groomers' shears once in a while, but I still like mine for the price I paid. Geib would definitely be my second choice. I would ask different groomers in your area what they use and maybe ask to hold them and try them out? Groomers in my area are too nice and love to help. If I would get out of the habit of setting my shears on the table with a dog that pushes them off then I wouldn't have to get them sharpened very often. I send mine to Northern Tails in Alabama. http://www.northerntailssharpening.com/homepage.html He is very helpful and I think does more than he really needs to! But he has a customer for life. Make sure you get the right Northern Tails! He also is on Facebook. Another thing I got is this tiny tiny pair of Kenchii shears when I went to grooming school that are wonderful for going around toes/pads. I think they're 4.5" and the Five Star model. I'm not sure about the length since I'm not sure how they measure that. (Whole thing or just cutting edge) But anyways, that's what I have to say.

Comment

You could try going to some dog shows. They usually have vendors there that sell grooming supplies.
                    Good luck with grooming school.

Comment

Shears

I suggest you call Geib and speak directly to them. Call 4076788023 ask for Mrs or Mr. Geib if not ask for Vince and explain your situation they will give you advise on what you need.

Originally posted by Megalodon View Post
                      Hi everyone! My name's Shannon and I just recently sent in all of my information for grooming academy and start on June 1st! I am super excited. I've been working as a bather at a Petsomething (that's what I think you guys call it), and so I don't have most of my tools yet. I already picked up my clippers (Andis UltraEdge AGC 2 Speed) and got a sweet deal due to my groomer discount. I'm just stuck on shears now.

I'm going to go on the recommendation of my groomer buddies and get Geibs. I just have one big problem. I live in southern Florida (Broward County) and I don't know where to go. I'm debating between the Gators and Entrees, and while I can play around with a friend's Gators, I'd love to hold the Entrees for myself before I make my decision. I've unfortunately had problems with the only groomer supplier I know of and would rather not buy from him. I'm not sure where to find these shears so I can hold them for myself. Any help would be appreciated. I want to make the right decision. I am also female with fairly small hands, so I'm leaning towards the Entrees. I just don't want to regret my decision later.

Thanks a lot, guys. I look forward to learning from you all, and I've found tons of information already. Also, I shaved my first paw pads today (it's a big deal, okay)!

Comment

Shears

You can call 40767880233 ask for Nancy Geib or Ed Geib tell them what your needs are and the will sort you out with some good advise. If you are not able to speak with them personally ask for Vince. Once you decide on what's good for you they will send it to you within a day. Good luck and all the very best to you.

Comment

Working...
                        X