Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Northern Nevada

Hello everyone,

I've found this site to be very informative and addictive.
    I've been on this site in the past but just recently "joined." I'm amazed at all the stuff there is on here to be learned. I'm the type of person who enjoys researching and learning new things so this is the perfect place to be.

A little background:

I worked for someone else in a high volume pet shop for 6 years which I also managed for 5.5 of those years. I worked on an hourly wage so it basically didn't matter what I groomed--it all paid the same. On the busy days I would groom anywhere from 12-15 dogs with some bathing in the morning but hardly any drying. We took all our dogs in starting in the early morning and quit when the last one went home which sometimes made for a really long day

I live in ranch country so we saw a lot of ranch dogs and those oh so great OAY dogs that you dreaded. I learned to groom by apprenticeship which definitely had its ups and downs. I'm so thankful for the education I received and am not knocking it in any way.

Now that I am out on my own, I feel the need to become a better groomer. I always wanted to do the best job possible but with having so many dogs to groom and so little time; sometimes we just had to say enough was enough.

Now, I have the time to spend with the animals (which I enjoy) and typically don't overbook myself (happens occasionally) which leaves me time to work on my craft. My reputation is important to me and I pride the fact that I try to put out good quality work. I'm sure there is still a ton more I have to learn and a lot of stuff to perfect but for the area I'm in, it works.

I'm debating on whether or not to go mobile. There are none around me and this would give me a lot more freedom than being tied to a shop. Most of my clients would prefer it and I think it would be better when trying to start a family. The thing I worry about in this rural area is the fees. I know mobile grooming is suppose to be more than a shop but I don't know how many people would be willing to pay.

I'd really like to make contact with any other Northern NV groomer or even No. Cal for that matter.

Well...that's all I have for now...see you around the board
Working...
X