Hello from Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Maryland

Hi fellow groomers...hope to soon be out on my own with confidence. I just completed my home study training and hands on grooming of friends dogs over the past year. The training was a good experience I believe with videos and instructional material. There was testing involved and pictures of "before and after" clips were forwarded to the instructor. I am very excited about working part-time at building my business and at some point retiring from my full time job and going full time. I am 53 years old and quite ready to do something I like. I have been trying to obtain as much information as possible and just recently purchased the book Notes from the Grooming Table and just love it, but reading some of these threads, I have to say has me wondering if I have enough experience to start. There has been some terminology tossed round that I have not read about in any literature or in my training material, such as "rolling" a hand stripped dog. What is that and how much hand stripping is actually done in a small town grooming shop. Currently I have my laundryroom converted to share the grooming business and am hopeful to convert my one car garage into a home salon..hopefully I am ready. I will continue to read and learn...thanks to all for your invaluable experiences and knowledge.

Welcome to the board! Where in MD are you? I'm in Hagerstown. I also work out of my converted garage (been at this location for 10 years). You don't even need to think about handstripping right now. Concentrate on what we see the most of...reasonably short all over clips with cute faces, cockers, schnauzers...the most common stuff. Oh, and mark your calendar to attend Groom Expo in Hershey in Sept. Attend every seminar you can!

Comment

Brian, I am located in Aberdeen, MD. Thanks for the advice about hand stripping and the Groomers Expo...I'll try to get there this year, I know those expos and seminars are invaluable sources of information. Hope to soon be an official member of the grooming community.

Comment

sorry, didn't mean to call you Brian...but thanks for the advice anyway "Briarpatch"

Comment

Hi Kookanana !
          How are you?
          If you don't mind me asking with who did you do your at home study training? Did you like it?
          Would you recommend it?
          Let me know as I am thinking of doing the same. Thanks.

Gabby

Comment

Welcome! I'm in Frederick, about 1/2 hour east of Brian...I mean Briar, and home-based as well. In fact...the bizz has pretty much taken over my home. Swallowed it..like a whale would eat a lil baby guppy. Next time I do this...I'm gonna get me a much bigger house.

You sound like you have more than enough to get you going, and those of us that have been around for a few years (or more) are STILL learning new things every time we pop onto this board. (Like NEVER drive thru a drive-thru if you are mobile or pulling a trailer.)

There was a recent thread about terminology (maybe started by Peaster?) and how to explain rolling, stripping, etc to a client...so look that up and see if that helps you?
            It certainly helped me...my clients were confused when they picked up dogs w/ pink curlers in their hair, and it turns out I totally misunderstood "rolling" the coat. I'm actually quite relieved...it was getting harder and harder to find those pink curlers. As for "stripping"...I'm not EVEN gonna go there.

Good luck w/ your start up, take your time, reach out if you have questions or need advice, and have fun!
            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Hi Gabby, I home studied with All About Dog Grooming, I also purchased their grooming equipment kit. I feel I gained valuable information and a good start. I am waiting for my before and after pictures to be returned along with my certificate, so I feel legit. I had several questions in the beginning and emailed them and always got prompt responses, from Carol Doggett, one of the owners. They are also available by telephone too. I believe I will probably invest in better shears as time goes on. The program covers all aspects of the dog grooming business. I have been very satisfied, but the real test will be when I hang out my business sign and get repeat customers. I am working full time so going to school was just not an option for me. Keep in touch...good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
                Welcome! I'm in Frederick, about 1/2 hour east of Brian...I mean Briar, and home-based as well. In fact...the bizz has pretty much taken over my home. Swallowed it..like a whale would eat a lil baby guppy. Next time I do this...I'm gonna get me a much bigger house.

You sound like you have more than enough to get you going, and those of us that have been around for a few years (or more) are STILL learning new things every time we pop onto this board. (Like NEVER drive thru a drive-thru if you are mobile or pulling a trailer.)

There was a recent thread about terminology (maybe started by Peaster?) and how to explain rolling, stripping, etc to a client...so look that up and see if that helps you?
                It certainly helped me...my clients were confused when they picked up dogs w/ pink curlers in their hair, and it turns out I totally misunderstood "rolling" the coat. I'm actually quite relieved...it was getting harder and harder to find those pink curlers. As for "stripping"...I'm not EVEN gonna go there.

Good luck w/ your start up, take your time, reach out if you have questions or need advice, and have fun!
                You are hilarious....I think I'm sweating the stuff I don't need to right now...as Briarpatch adviced, just concentrate on the pet cuts right now, which are basically the cuts I have been doing. I have a pek-a-poo so she was initially my trial dog for different ear lengths and shape of head, with a beard or beardless...I clipped yorkies and schnauzers (which I think are fun to do). Thanks for the levity today....needed it on such a gloomiy Maryland day.

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback, Kookanana! I really appreciate it. I at their website right now. The Complete Training Package is very affordable. I will more than likely purchase it from them. Thanks again for your help. Gonna add you as a friend on here. Take care! Good luck you to you as well. You'll do great! At the moment I am looking for an entry level position as a pet bather and then move up. My dream is to have my own shop one day.

Comment

Hello Kook! Welcome to this site! I have an article on my blog on rolling a coat,
                    http://groomwise.typepad.com/smartst...-a-coat.html-- if you have any ??s about it, you can pm me, but many on here know even far more than me! There are tons of posts on stripping and you'll learn a lot here! I have a handful of stripping clients and I live in a rural small town,, I get those that drive after getting a referral, but a couple of clients live here in town and I have gotten them to let me strip their dogs instead of clipping.
                    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Working...
                    X