Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Grooming Salon?

Good Day All,

I recently got laid off and have been in the computer business for about 10 years. My wife and I have been discussing it and we think we may want to open a grooming salon. Honestly, I have absolutely no experience grooming dogs other than my own. I do have plenty of business experience and this wouldn't be my first business.

We have researched equipment, location, need, startup costs, and such, however there is one thing that I really am not sure of. Where or how is the best way to find "master" groomers that would like to work with/for me.

We are going to purchase all of the best equipment and make the place really nice.

Any thoughts/ideas/opinions would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any information or advice you can give us.

Sincerely,
    Summadog

I personally would not work for someone who had no solid professional experience in the animal care field.. I have tried it on several occasions and it just doesnt make a good match IMO. Maybe others have a different take.

Comment

You must go to Grooming school(a really school,not video's)

like any other career choice you need education,then you should work for someone for at 6 months to grasp this business, I wen't to school for 6 months to learn to be a pet groomer back in 1983,this is my 27th year and then worked along side another groomer with 12 years exp for about a year. You just don't pick up a pair of shears one day and think your gonna start charging people money. good luck though

Originally posted by summadog View Post
      Good Day All,

I recently got laid off and have been in the computer business for about 10 years. My wife and I have been discussing it and we think we may want to open a grooming salon. Honestly, I have absolutely no experience grooming dogs other than my own. I do have plenty of business experience and this wouldn't be my first business.

We have researched equipment, location, need, startup costs, and such, however there is one thing that I really am not sure of. Where or how is the best way to find "master" groomers that would like to work with/for me.

We are going to purchase all of the best equipment and make the place really nice.

Any thoughts/ideas/opinions would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any information or advice you can give us.

Sincerely,
      Summadog

Comment

where in NC are you located?

Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by desertdogs64 View Post
          You just don't pick up a pair of shears one day and think your gonna start charging people money. good luck though
          I was understanding that they weren't going to be the groomer. I could be misunderstanding.

I've been wondering and I know this has been discussed on the board but how the heck do you make any profit as a non-groomer owner?
          That Tenacious Terrier!
          www.thattenaciousterrier.com
          https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

I have worked for people who aren't groomers and it can be very challenging. You may want to buy the best equipment and everything, but the fact that you aren't a groomer means there are going to be things that come up that you just won't understand. Non groomer bosses always try to push ideas that they thing will work, when the groomers know that it won't. I think in some situations it could work as long as the owner is very understanding and willing to let the groomer do things mostly their way. Groomers are very particular about the shampoos they use, how many dogs they take, pricing...etc etc.

I think Canopener Sally makes a good point...how do you expect to turn enough of a profit with not being a groomer yourself?

Comment

One of you need to go through a grooming school....for one; it's HARD to find a good groomer that everybody is happy with and if you do, what are you going to do if they're sick or need some time off? You're not going to be busy enough in the beginning to keep a groomer busy enough for full time so you're really going to need to figure a few more things out.
              I've worked for non grooming employers a few times and there's a whole world in between what they want and expect and what the real world of grooming is all about.
              ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
              Apparently common sense isn't all that common
              *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

New Salon

Good Morning,

At the moment, I am not planning on picking up the shears. I have 2 dogs and would be apprehensive about letting someone with only 6 months of experience groom them. I have been thinking of going to school and working for 3 to 6 months in a grooming environment, but not sure.

There were a few questions as to how I thought I would make a profit by not being an owner/groomer. Are there no salons out there that make profits with absent owners? There has to be some, is anyone on here in that situation? I'd like to really hear from you. There is a ton of information on these sites that point at the goal of being an absent owner or an owner with staff that also includes master groomers.

Someone asked where in NC I am, I am in the Piedmont area.

On average how long did it take you to establish a respectable client base? Did you do any advertising with direct mail or pair up with any vets?

Again, thank you all very much for the information and feedback, it is all very useful.

Sincerely
                Summadog

Comment

You've got to do a pretty high volume of pets to make a profit if you're not one of the groomers. I'd advise you to buy "Grooming Business in a Box" from this website. It's the most comprehensive business plan info available to the industry at a reasonable cost. You can get qualified groomers from this website as well. Most highly qualified groomers will want more than 50 percent commission and they'll want some benefits as well (unless they're part time). That really cuts into your profit margin. 18 years ago I sold a shop in the Wash. DC area because I wanted to spend more time with my babies. I considered being absent owner for a couple of years but the numbers just didn't make it worth it to me. I could break even, but not make a profit. Of course, my overhead was really high. You may be in an area where you have low overhead and expenses and could make it profitable. Just play with the numbers and make contacts...see where you go.

Comment

Originally posted by summadog View Post

There were a few questions as to how I thought I would make a profit by not being an owner/groomer. Are there no salons out there that make profits with absent owners? There has to be some, is anyone on here in that situation?
                    I would think you'd have to offer other services (playcare/daycare, boarding) to make that profit for yourself.

Like others have said, I likely wouldn't work for a non-groomer owner. My experiences with non-groomer owners have been pretty much ridiculous. Lots of unrealistic expectations on the groomer. You can be different.
                    That Tenacious Terrier!
                    www.thattenaciousterrier.com
                    https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

Originally posted by Canopener Sally View Post
                      I would think you'd have to offer other services (playcare/daycare, boarding) to make that profit for yourself.

Like others have said, I likely wouldn't work for a non-groomer owner. My experiences with non-groomer owners have been pretty much ridiculous. Lots of unrealistic expectations on the groomer. You can be different.
                      I agree, most of the places I know of that are non groomer owners offer grooming as a side thing. They do mostly retail, boarding/daycare, and offer grooming but don't depend on it as their main source of income. I think that if this is something you want to do you should look into finding something else as the main source of income and offer grooming on the side.

Comment

Working...
                      X