Hand Stripping and Clients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Stripping and Clients

I have been a groomer for quite a long time. How long when God said "Let there be light", I was the one who threw the switch.

I have hand stripped for many years, just not doing pet stripping. I have a friend who had wire fox terriers, wanted them stripped, and a good price. I needed to toughen my hands by starting with someone who would bring me one at a time, and by pricing them right, I would get the dogs more often.

Two years ago I stripped and airedale for a show client and when the dog was given to the handler, he informed her that he seldom gets dogs that are stripped ring-ready, but the one I hand stripped was.

At that time I wasn't on the internet, and asked them to print some information on stripping of wire terriers and bring it in. She came in with 2 hand strips and a clipper trim and not information, but informed me to hand strip for show. I took off the top layer and left the undercoat to roll off. She wanted the stripped like a schnauzer, meaning I would have to pull the coat green and hurt the dog. She told people I didn't know how to hand strip, and I stripped all my Brussels griffons when I showed them.

Her son kept coming to me, and I have now learned to strip them and run a clipper over the dog after stripping. I have now priced them right and have acquirred several hand strip clients and she wants to come back for the old price. I am not taking her back without the new price and I have informed her that bad advertising is worse than none at all.

Can you all enlighten me on this????

Thank you

J. R.
    Jrsgroom

Interesting...

how so few people actually even attempt to strip but yet there are so many clients demanding it be done to show quality. I can tell you that once a dog is "finished" handlers almost always start clipping the dog right away.
    SO I believe there is a halfway level and that's what I do. I won't strip whole necks and rears for a monthly/bimonthly client. If they don't like it then we are not compatible. I charge a flat rate but many charge by the hour. Running a clipper over after the strip eventually makes it a lot harder to strip- rather have the client use a coat king in between.
    I always encourage/beg clients to get involved between visits.
    Some time it even works

Comment

J.R worked with me when this started, not only did they want an improper strip, but wanted for less than I charge for clipping a pet and wanted a rush job, he does a good strip, so I now send him the hand strips, I donot know how. I told him to lose this person, but hischoice.
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I know it is much easier to strip an pet that hasn't been clippered. It is called rolling the coat.

I feel the client should know how to judge the coat, and I encourage my clients to get involved with their pets. I feel the client I have is just using the dog's grooming to sell her puppys.

I am very fast with the stripping and don't want to gouge the client, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of. I am the person that wants to make 1% of a million, unlike most in this world that wants to make a million % of 1.

I really like to see my strips on a monthly basis, but every 3 weeks would be better. How many weeks do most of you see your dogs?

Comment

Originally posted by Jrsgroom View Post
          I really like to see my strips on a monthly basis, but every 3 weeks would be better. How many weeks do most of you see your dogs?
          Good question. My strip dogs usually come in about every 3 months (depending on when the next social event is that owner whats dog looking presentable for) and it is a lot of work and I always feel rushed.

Comment

I like to handstrip, for the improved color & texture.. I only ever do 1/3 of the coat in any area, and I don't do the throat belly or under tail. I tell them I'm a Pet groomer & I only offer "pet handstripping". This is how I manage it so I can make them look their best w/o too much stress. We include that in our terrier price range, if they want no stripping then we select the low end of the range. I tell new terrier clients about the benefits, and explain how ev 4-6 weeks gets better results. If they wait too long for good rotation, I still do it so that new hard coat can come in. Westies are my exception, no color to improve so I just do the head for good spiky texture there.

Sometimes I've been so excited to do certain grooming I undersold myself, like fun poodle patterns, but when I can't do it at the silly price anymore I tell them wow what a deal you got! just be honest. hth!

Comment

Working...
            X