Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Career Advice

Hello Groomers,

I'm new to this site, I found it while I was searching for grooming careers. I chat frequently on yorkie talk and learned so much and met amazing people who i have much in common with. I joined here to meet more friends in common and get some advice from people who have life experience.
    I'm thinking about leaving corporate america and starting school for grooming. My ultimate goal is to eventually open a grooming salon, pet boutique and hopefully be successful and grow.

I have been with the same company for 18 years, earn a great salary, and have fantastic benefits. I feel like I'm crazy thinking of leaving a sure thing for uncertainty as we are all in the same universe of tuff econonic times. I work my butt off every day and feel nothing but resentment. I really want a fulfilling career. I love animals and had many pets all my life. I have volunteered, rescued and rehomed many pets and truly enjoyed every minute I spent with them.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    ~wendy

best advice?

Find a GREAt school and learn hands on.
    Do not skimp on education.

Work 2+ years under a GREAT groomer, someone who is current and stays on top of the changes in the industry.

Go to grooming shows and seminars, you can never stop learning.

have 6+ worth of expesnes for you life style AND shop saved up, start small. Do a business plan, read everything you can find online about grooming.

Be realistic that it will take TIME to acheive your dreams.
    Remember that if this was easy everyone would do it.

Comment

Hi Wendy.

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. I am also new to this website. It's wonderful.
      I wish you the best in your career. I have a lot of the same goals as you.
      I believe K2p13 gave you wonderful advice.
      Hope you find lots of more advice here and keep learning and eventually achieve your goal.

Take care!

Comment

Working...
      X