Burnout!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnout!

Hello all! I have been grooming for 15 yrs. and am experiencing extreme burnout! To the point I am beginning to LOATH my job. I thought, maybe if I talk to fellow groomers it may renew the passion I once had.

You couldn't have picked a better place to try and re-new your passion! This community is comprised of some of the most talented, amazing, caring and loving people it has ever been my pleasure to encounter. Seriously, you won't believe the amount of support and encouragement here. If ANYONE can help to put the zip back in yer scissors, its the pg.com family.

Welcome aboard!
    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Welcome to the board. There's tons of great information and wonderful people here. Hope we can help you get your passion back. At the very least, I'm sure we can provide a laugh or two.
      "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

get thee on a vacation...

go some place that has no dogs - or go to a really bad pet salon and see how much better you are :-)
        Loath is a pretty strong word. You may just need some time off- I have been doing this for 22 years and I can't say I ever felt that way but there are lots of folks here who have and usually get a lot of sympathy from he rest of us. Experienced groomers are hard to come by. Maybe you should try a different venue. Don't waste your talent.
        Redirect it.
        good luck

Comment

I totally understand. I have been there. If you are past the point of a vacation working maybe you could make it to a trade show or get some grooming DVD's......I wish I could be more help. Good luck!
          Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
          Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

Thanks guys! I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Comment

Originally posted by doggydivas View Post
              I totally understand. I have been there. If you are past the point of a vacation working maybe you could make it to a trade show or get some grooming DVD's......I wish I could be more help. Good luck!
              >>>

I was facing the same thing a couple of years ago, and then I found this forum, and then I went to some seminars and found some other like minded groomers in my area. I'm now quite passionate about grooming now.

Comment

Believe it or not my vacation usually consists of going to Atlanta Pet Fair. I do love going but the best part is it really renews my enthusiasm for my work. If you get a chance go to a trade show it really helps.
                ~*~Robin~*~
                "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

I just wanted to say "Hi"! I am looking to get into groom and out of the career I have. So I am so excited!!! I hope some can rub off on you! ::wink::

Maybe you need to take a step back and first determine if it is your actual career you loathe or the situation you may be in. After you figure that out you can better determine where change needs to happen. Hope this helps!

Either way I'm sending you {{{good vibes}}} !!!!

Comment

Sorry about your reaching the burnt out stage, I hope I never reach that stage. However, I do take a vacation every year for a nice, relaxing, 7 days on the beach in Panama City Beach, Florida. I have 2 timeshares there, never do take 2 weeks, always end up renting out the week I don't take. So, I guess if any of you stressed out groomers need a week on the beach, just let me know and if it's not already rented out, I would be glad to rent it to you. AND, no pets are allowed so at least you'd get a week away from them Just pm me if you or anyone might be interested. Not trying to pitch a sale here, just trying to offer a solution to the burnout phase, vacations really do help!

Comment

Welcome to the board! I'm sorry you're feeling burnt out. This is a great place to reenergize and meet all sorts of folks. What sorts of dogs do you really love to groom? One of my favorite ways to put some zip back into my grooming is to do something totally outrageous with my poodle's hairdo. Sometimes he looks like a bedlington, other times he's pale blue, just something to make me smile and enjoy the fact that I made him look spiffy. And this is just the place to vent, get support and new ideas. If we can do anything to help you along, don't hesitate to give a shout!

Comment

I've been grooming 16 yrs and hit that burnout about 5 years ago. What I did to recover was quit for a couple of months, started back up by just grooming 4 dogs a day, limit the size of dogs I groom and the best thing ever was learn to take a VACATION.
                        Now I'm fine again and love what I'm doing.
                        I'm also in the process of planning that all important vacation to Florida.
                        Good luck to ya! Glad to have you among us.
                        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                        Diane

Comment

just learning here

My boss has been a groomer for 45years he has been training me over the last few months. His mate wants him to retire. I think he is only training me to keep the store open while he takes a long vacation. Right now I have been looking for an experienced groomer to work so I dont get overwhelmed. I find myself thinking it is alot about the environment you are working in. He has told me of places where they just take the dogs in and push them through. At our shop we try not to do more than 10 or 11 a day. We are only open 4 days a week. He came to retire but there isnt anyone in this area that does his kind of grooming so we are turning them away. Any how if you are working in a high stress place maybe you should find a slower place where you could only work so many days and have control over how many or what kind of dog you want to do and take a few days off in a row like he does. I know after3 days of nothing going on I am ready to get back to it. When we take a week off I usually go in and do the maintenance dogs. It keeps me in but not so busy I cant do anything else. Any how I hope that you remember why you like this and I hope you stick around. we need experinced people to teach us new groomers. My boss told me a month ago that if I was any where else I would be a groomer now but HE said not until I could do it the right way.

Comment

In the shop that I work I'm the only groomer and... Although I try. I really dont have much control over the grooming's that are booked. My boss is a groomer but will only do what she has to... I.E. bath dogs which is ZERO help to me. Honestly she can't groom. Unless you consider a shavedown from nose to tail grooming... I don't. Im fine with doing 8-9 small dogs a day. I've told her if she books a big dog to consider that 2 grooming slots. Wed. she had booked me 9 dogs but 2 were Standard Poodles that got lamb clips and the other was an 80 lb mix that hadn't been groomed since July and everyone of the other dogs were full grooms. I was PISSED! Yeah it was good money but it really wasn't worth the stress. Usually all the dogs are done by 3PM and thats what clients are use to but when I have that kind of day I can't possibly be done in 5 hrs. (I go in at 10.) When they start calling or just showing up, it's f***'n STRESSFUL! Another thing... While I'm in bitch mode. LOL! I know that she (my boss) Keeps my tips. I do a giant schnauzer. Which BTW Schnauzer's are my fave. dog to groom for whom ever asked. I have been grooming him for 5 yrs. Since he was 8 mo. old. They followed me from the shop that I has previously worked at. They always tipped $20 and $60 for Christmas. Since they have been coming to where I am now. 2 1/2 yrs. I have not seen one tip but I have no way to prove it. I don't check the dogs out. When I'm finished I leave. The other day I happend to be up front when a client picked up their dog. I was on the comp. looking up grooming software for my boss. The total was $37.10 and I hear him say keep the change. My boss walks over and lays down $2. I look at the register an see his change was $2.90 so I take a dime out of my pocket and throw it down on the counter and said gimme my dollar. She totally acted guilty and later, much later came up to me an said. I was gonna give you the rest of your tip but I didnt have change. It's not that 90 cents was a big deal it's the principal. Ther is one girl that a couple of days a wk. works the front and when she's working is the only time I get tips. Coincidence? I think not! So I have come to the conclusion that I'm more burnout on where I'm working than the grooming. Yesterday I called my former boss. Who is pretty much running her shop by herself if she would be intersted in a partner. I told her not to answer, give it some thought and when she was ready we would go to dinner and discuss it. So, hopefully something good will come of this.

Comment

Oh, dont feel too sorry for me. I do have 2 bathers that I am extremly grateful for. Without them my days would TRULY be hell!

Comment

Working...
                              X