dryers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dryers

Hello, I need some help. I just took a book course on grooming. I have no one to help me, so I will have to learn this all on my own. What kind of dryer will I need? Do i get a portable one that goes from the tub to the table? Please help!

my best advice?

Start calling every grooming salon you can and see if you can either apprectice or just go and watch for a day.

Personally I have a few different dryers, I have a K9III (a high velocity), a stand dryer, a cage dryer and a small little handheld dryer, looks like a human hairdryer (which I rarely use).

But if you are unsure of the dryers and types, how to use them and proper fluff drying (believe me you cannot get a good groom without a good drying job) then you should go and see them firsthand.

Comment

Welcome!

I have to agree with K2.

Your question is a little like "I just got my drivers license, what kind of car should I get"?

There are a lot of dryers out there, and the very few that are cheap....well, ya git what you pay for.
      It's a sizable investment and one that should meet your specific needs, as well as last you a while.
      I have a total of 7 different dryers, and none of them are the ones K2 has...but they suit my specific needs.

For a couple hundred reasons, your selection of an appropriate dryer being one, I too strongly urge you to find a salon that will let you apprentice or a groomer that will help mentor you in exchange for critical and invaluable information that you are going to wish you knew.

Oh. I have 8 dryers. I forgot about my clothes dryer...but I don't use that for dogs. They would have a headache and be all stuck together when they came out.
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
        Welcome!

I have to agree with K2.

Your question is a little like "I just got my drivers license, what kind of car should I get"? They would have a headache and be all stuck together when they came out.
        but the bounce makes 'em smell soooo good

Comment

ha! Thanks to all of your input!

Comment

Originally posted by petpalswi View Post
            but the bounce makes 'em smell soooo good
            I prefer to use a little downy in the rinse cycle. I have a large capacity washer/dryer and can usually fit 2 large and 3 small dogs in one load, they all come out static free and downy soft.....lol

Lynneio, welcome to the board! This is a great place for newbies and "oldsters" in grooming to come and learn/share a thing or two.

I definatly agree w/all that has been said (w/exception of actually using clothes dryer....lol...). Try to get as much hands on experience as you can working w/as many experienced groomers as possible. Even if you don't get a paying job immediately and work for someone in exchange for good training, it would be worth it IMO.

You can also see about volunteering at your local shelter to groom the dogs there. Making the adoptees clean and pretty makes them more adoptable and also helps you get practice.

I wouldn't rush in and get a "top line" dryer just now. I like my little Metro and Magnum force dryers. I think they were both around $130 and can be used as both a HV and a "hand" dryer if you get a snake arm to hold the nozzle in place.

Good luck w/your new vocation! Don't be afraid to post any questions you may have and give us picts to critique!
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

Working...
            X