Need advise about why my dog does what he doo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advise about why my dog does what he doo's

My dog has a real bad issue with chewing on his back side. Even when we have shampoo'd and flee combed him. I remember the dirty jobs episode about pet grooming, when she popped the anal gland, butt I don't remember if that is why dogs chew back there. Could that be a possibility? And if so, where exactly do I have to do the pop'n? I don't recall everything the lady on the show said. She just reached back there and said "yep, ya just go like this Mike and it comes a squirt'n on out." He is a real cool dog! A Presa. Bruno is his name, but he also answers to Bighead, Biggie, and of coarse, "B". I can't wait to hear what y'all have to say. GEEE.. Shucks, and good golly willikers.
    Thanks humans!!

Originally posted by Bruno Mcbighead View Post
    My dog has a real bad issue with chewing on his back side. Even when we have shampoo'd and flee combed him. I remember the dirty jobs episode about pet grooming, when she popped the anal gland, butt I don't remember if that is why dogs chew back there. Could that be a possibility? And if so, where exactly do I have to do the pop'n? I don't recall everything the lady on the show said. She just reached back there and said "yep, ya just go like this Mike and it comes a squirt'n on out." He is a real cool dog! A Presa. Bruno is his name, but he also answers to Bighead, Biggie, and of coarse, "B". I can't wait to hear what y'all have to say. GEEE.. Shucks, and good golly willikers.
    Thanks humans!!
    hmmm .... just wondering if you're experienced with expressing anal glands - b/c if not, than it is definitely a job for a professional groomer or veterinarian. there are many reasons why your dog may be chewing back there - full anal glands are one reason, but it could be allergies, (you say that you have shampoo'd & flea combed - but if he's not on a monthly flea preventative then just one flea bite may cause an allergic reaction), he could have worms, a skin condition .... ETC. I would reccommend a trip to the vet - and definitely don't mess with his hiney if you don't know what you're doing - it could cause more problems and discomfort.

Comment

Has he seen the vet about it? It could be discomfort due to impacted glands or ruptured glands as well, which there is nothing that you can do at home to help him, only the vet can.

I saw that episode of Dirty Jobs and I love the Show itself, but I was disappointed to see the grooming episode seem so "simple" to do the glands. There is alot more to it than that. It's not just about "popping" a gland. First of all, you need to learn where they are. Next you have to understand how they function. There are many professional opinions about them, but I will say that from everything I've learned. Glands do have some function if working properly, and that is they express naturally when a stool is passed. Some believe it's a scent gland only and others believe they are for the purpose of lubricating the stool naturally. Well either or, some dogs don't naturally express them while passing a stool, and many need to have their glands manually expressed by a vet or sometimes at the groomers. You can learn to do it on your own, but their is a slight possiblity you can injure the dog.

First, you really should see the vet, if the vet believes they just need more frequent expressing- they will do it regularly, or maybe even show you how to do it. OR the vet may find they need other care.

ALSO- there are many other causes than glands for them to be licking and biting in that area. Worms in their stool or worm eggs, for example. So there are many reasons to see your vet, have a stool flotation exam, and blood work etc for a normal check up.

Comment

I think I smell a troll.... Go back under the bridge, troll!

Comment

How on earth did you spot that troll? And how do you tell apart a troll from someone who is truly not bright? Good thing im not a moderator, this is too much pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by SiotehCat View Post
            How on earth did you spot that troll? And how do you tell apart a troll from someone who is truly not bright? Good thing im not a moderator, this is too much pressure.
            In this particular instance the spelling, punctuation and sentence structure is too good for it to be someone who is truly not bright. Then add in the "GEEE.. Shucks and good golly willikers" and it's pretty easy to see that this is a kid with too much time on his hands.

Glad someone called his nanny to give him his milk and cookies and send him to bed.

Comment

They're worse on other message boards, but usually they appear on weekends asking stupid questions. They're usually kids who have too much time and "stuff" but not enough chores and discipline.

Comment

Hmmm, too bad we couldn't have told him how to do anal glands, and said you've got to look really closely, cause only a tiny bit comes out, so make sure you get down close to see if it comes out. Ha ha haha ha!! I would've paid money to see that one!
                Erin
                No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Working...
                X