Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't wait to groom

Hello everyone,

I just want to say I am excited to be here. I started working as a grooming assistant 7-8 months ago and have officially decided to start grooming school. I just have to wait for an opening through Pet..... grooming school. I am going to school to be a Vet tech, but I after grooming that might be my second choice career.

I was also wondering if anyone had any sugestions on much brands of shears are most comfortable, long lasting and basically the best quality?

Sabrina
    Last edited by beanie baby; 03-24-07, 10:23 PM.

Which shears are "best" is a very subjective issue. We all have different hands, so which shear is most comfortable to me may not be comfortable for you. If you have small hands, a shorter shank is probably going to work best for you. If you have the opportunity, go to a grooming seminar/trade show and handle a variety of shears to see which feels best in your hand. The experienced groomers in your salon will probably each have a variety of shears; ask them if you can hold/try some of them.

Comment

Hi there and welcome!
      As k9 said shears are a tricky issue because it's not a "one size fits all" thing. But still, there are many posts on recommended shears. You can try the search feature on the top
      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Best advice is to go to one of the big dog shows or grooming competitions and "try on" as many shears as you can. Whatever you decide to do (grooming or Vet tech) just remember to have fun.
        Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

thank you for the advice

I am new to the whole grooming scene since we (usually me) just bathed our dogs at home. To be honest I never new there was so much going on with grooming. I have tried a few different shears in our grooming shop, but I still haven't found ones I like. I will check around for grooming shows and such that will be going on near by. If you know of any that will be close to Salt Lake in the near future that would be helpful.

Sabrina

Comment

GroomWest in Denver is a good show/seminar and worth the travel. It used to be held in September, but I believe the last couple years it's been in June or July.... There's also SuperZoo in Vegas. I've never been to that one, so I know nothing about it.

I know those aren't in the Salt Lake City area, but I'm not sure there are any shows in Utah, so those are the closest that I know of....

Comment

Working...
            X