New Business Need Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Business Need Input

I started a new grooming business two weeks ago and have hired two young groomer's from a big box store. I am having problems right off the bat and need some input from season people in the industry. My employees are insisting on asking the customers for shot records and verification before they will touch the dog. Also, they have sent two dogs home because they could not handle them. Meaning the dogs were acting up and her to manage.

Is this standard in the industry, where a dog is hard to groom we send home.

please answer email [email protected]

re:shots

Kennels require more shots as I hear and see. Groomers usually only require a current rabies vac. I am just throwing my 2 cents. I am at a corporate and we only require rabies. Hope that helps. As for the difficult dogs I think its more of a personal decision and depends on the situation.

Comment

asking for rabies should be a standard question. if you are bit and they can not produce a rabies certificate, then you have to get the rabies series. as someone who has made that mistake once, i will never repeat it. there is such a thing as a learning curve. hard to handle dogs should be up to the groomers discretion. a bite could impact an entire career. i would never make a groomer work on a dog they were uncomfortable with. that is not only for the safety of the groomer, but also the safety of the dog and a liability issue for you.
      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

In situations like this, having employees that is, I would suggest trying to do the dog yourself. BUT...I'm assuming because you hired on two young gals for a new business, that you yourself aren't a groomer. In that case, as a huge asset to your business, learn to groom.

Else your business is in the hands of your groomers. No groomers...no income.

My own rule:
        If I'm not willing to do it myself, why would I expect anyone else to?

Comment

I absolutely AGREE, learn to groom.

First, no one should make the rules BUT YOU!

Second, I agree that you should have Rabies vaccinations.

Third, what is their criteria for hard to handle dogs?
          Have you considered have a "difficult dog" fee? If the fee is set at $10 or $15 the groomers may consider doing it.

Or, tell them you will higher a groomer who doesn't demand so much to do these dogs and they can do the rest.

Comment

Having rabies should be standard practice. You would be surprised how many people don't get even rabies for their dog and many never see vets. Rabies are reguired I believe in all states. Also if a grromer is not comfortable grooming a dog because of behavior (biteing, thrashing around) they should have the right to not do that dog. There are too many nice dogs out there to do and it's not our fault the people haven't raised their dog right.

Comment

I would get them a groomers helper and charge a bad dog fee. Do you groom?
              If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I take it you dont groom? How bad are these dogs theyre sending home? And how often have they sent dogs home? If I had a groomer here that truly had a dog they were having difficulty doing, I would do it myself. I couldnt ask them to finish it if they were TRULY having a hard time. I just sent one home a few weeks ago and I have been grooming 12 years. This dog was a stray that was a solid matted mess. It literally flipped out when the clippers were near her, no matter what I did. She was skittish around people and grooming definitely wasnt her favorite thing. It was risky for me as far as possibly getting bit.....and I was very concerned about cutting her since she was doing somersaults on my table.....

As far as the vaccines go, I dont blame them for wanting these dogs to be current on Rabies. If they get bit, THEY are the ones that have to get the medical treatment.

Comment

As far as your employees setting the rules....TAKE CHARGE! You own the business. YOU tell THEM if you require vaccinations or if YOU decide dogs are too unmanageable.

Comment

I would never want to work for someone who did not require vaccinations, at least the rabies vaccinations. To me, that is someone who does not have concern or respect for their employees safety. I don't know about other states but it is LAW that a dog or cat have rabies information, so an owner cannot make the decision if its OK or not, because it is NOT ok.

Also, and employer forcing someone to work on a dog that they feel is dangerous would, in my opinion, not be a good thing to do. It would not be fair to the groomer or to the dog. Again, not someone I would want to work with. I wouldn't as an employer force someone to groom cats if they weren't comfortable with it either.
                    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I will not touch dogs that aren't up to date of vaccines for two reasons:
                      #1.) It isn't legal to have them in your shop without vaccines.

#2.) Chances are they haven't even been to the vet in a while and may have other underlying un-diagnosed health conditions for which you could be blamed.

As far as difficult dogs go, it is not common policy to turn away all difficult dogs. There are so many varying degrees of difficulty it can't be clumped into one category. Lots of dogs can be worked with over time to calm down a little and accept the grooming process. However, if the groomer is dreading doing a certain dog or doesn't like that certain dog there will be tension there the dog will sense and that groomer will probably never get that do done safely. I do however refuse dogs that are just plain agressive and out for blood.

Comment

[QUOTE=ronmullinax;21543]I started a new grooming business two weeks ago and have hired two young groomer's from a big box store. I am having problems right off the bat and need some input from season people in the industry. My employees are insisting on asking the customers for shot records and verification before they will touch the dog. Also, they have sent two dogs home because they could not handle them. Meaning the dogs were acting up and her to manage.

Is this standard in the industry, where a dog is hard to groom we send home.

In most states they require proof of rabies to be shown before working on a dog. Imagine being bit by an unprotected dog!!!!! You would get sick and possibly even die if that dog was sick. The thing about sending the dogs home-Do you provide muzzles? perhaps the groomers helper? If a dog was flipping out on a table and biting if you touched it. I sure wouldn't groom it, I like having all my fingers. There are plenty of good dogs of there to groom. Don't worry about sending a few home. Have a stressfree work enviroment! Why push a dog who doesn't like being groomed and screams and bites the whole time? Refer it to a vet who has the staff and equiptment to help deal with this type of dog.

Comment

big question

what is the difficulty of the dogs. If it is aggressive then yes, the groomer certainly could refuse to groom the dog. I often say if a dog bites me and injures my hand permanantly, then I could not work, so I won't take chances personally. Think of the liability if you insist they groom a dangerous dog. If the difficultness is due to wiggly, wild dog behavior, then the groomers might need more training, a Groomers Helper etc. but again if they felt incompetent to groom the dog, you wouldn't want a serious injury to the dog and subsequent Veterinarian bill. Some dogs are just nuts, but really very rarely. I also sent a wild maniac dog home, one after many years of grooming, it was possible it was going to die if forced due to it's panic. That dog really did need anesthesia for it's safety.

Possible the groomers are not wanting to work to hard, but less likely of the cause.

When I was at a chain store they had just reviewed it's policies and changed to only require Rabies certificate. Previously they required all current shots. It was a good idea, but they sure lost many customers who walked out due to not being current on the shots. Some people though were very appreciative of that requirement, knowing their dog was then near dogs that were up to date. Almost all kennels require total current shot record. I do agree with the others that Rabies proof is a good policy.
                          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Hi Ronmullinax,
                            It looks like you've already been given some good advice from others so I just want to say welcome to the board!
                            Sheri

Comment

I agree w/most of the others. If you don't groom, you need to learn at LEAST the basics. It will be hard to manage your groomers or to make sure you are sending out quality work if you are a non-groomer. With vaccines you need to require AT LEAST rabies. It is not only common sense-safe, it is also law in most (if not all) states. The other vaccines are up to your discretion and standards of safety.

With the difficult dogs that is a problem stemming from being (I assume) a non-groomer. There are so many variables on difficult animals and what one particular person feels safe doing. Since you mentioned young groomers, I also assume they are somewhat inexperienced. See if you can't hire someone w/a little mileage under their belt. A lot of newbies will have trouble w/dogs now that they will have no trouble with after they have some experience. Good luck to you. I hope your business does well!
                              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Working...
                              X