nail clipper vs.nail sanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nail clipper vs.nail sanders

I am just starting with grooming and I am nervous about cutting nail so I ordered a nail sander is there much difference between them in the finished product. I am sure I will get more confident with time, but right now I feel better using the sander so I don't hurt any animals.

Sanding, dremeling, filing is the way to go, IMO. You can get the nails shorter without quicking the dog, the nails come out smoother, and the customers are usually happy if you can do it. What I found most surprising when I first started dremeling was how some dogs that absolutely hated their nails done would tolerate it and not resist or give a difficult time.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I use the nail clipper and then if if I have to I'll grind them. Sometimes I will only grind the front ones if I know the dog is a jumper and has an elderly owner or kids in the family.
      I think it takes longer to grind, but that's just my opinion. I think you get good at what you do all the time. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think you get a better result if you grind.

Comment

There is a difference

Yes, KayC, there is a difference. While the clipper will put pressure on the dog's nail when you press down to cut (if you are using a guillotine type cutter), the grinder/sander will do just that ... grind the nail away. Dogs that "freak out" at the sight of a nail clipper might be a better candidate for the grinder. Some dogs do not like the pressure they feel from a clipper, especially if you are inexperienced with clipping their nails. The grinder will give a better finish but you must be careful that you don't grind into the quick. This gives the dog a burning sensation and is just as painful as cutting the quick. I usually cut the nail with clippers then go back and sand off the edge. That way they have a finished look and don't scratch or snag anything. Here's a tip on clipping the nail for inexperienced groomers . . . Hook the tip of the nail with the clippers and clip. Inspect the nail closely and if you are close to the quick, you will see a small white dot in the center of the nail bottom. If you don't see the dot, clip a little more. Once you do this several hundred times on different dogs, you will get more confident as to where to clip. Just remember, if you do clip the quick, yes, it bleeds but it's not as painful as you think. It hurts like our hangnails. Just make sure and use styptic on it to clot and peroxide to clean up around the nail. It's not the end of the world and the dog will usually forget about it the next time around. Good luck -- hope this helps.

Comment

Below is an article that includes some safety tips that helped me when I first started dremeling/grinding/sanding nails. I initially bought a cordless Dremel instead of the corded one she's using in the article, because the cordless is more likely to stop spinning if it gets caught in the coat so it's safer to use, especially for beginners.

Now that I have a lot more experience using the Dremel, I have switched to a variable speed corded model that I keep hooked to the top post of my Lipsystem. I use the Dremel Flex Shaft attachment instead of the Dremel itself so it hangs like an IV bag would. The Flex Shaft tool is smaller and has a rubber grip so it easier on my hand.
          Here's the article:

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merens...el/dremel.html

Sheri

Comment

I use both, if they are short I grind, if they are long I trim and then grind.

Comment

Good nail information everyone! I also prefer to dremel the nails. Thank you for that link Cosette.

Comment

Edited.
                Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I use the nail clipper first if the nails are pretty long, then grind. If the nails are not to long, then I just grind them.

Comment

I usually clip the nails first with a nail clipper and then I grind.

Comment

I clip then grind. It takes FOREVER to completely grind the nails if they are long and the heat it produces is not good for the dog. BE CAREFUL with the fur around the foot that it does not get caught in the dremel! I sometimes use an old pair of pantyhose and pop the nails through to keep the hair from wrapping around the tool.

Comment

Working...
                      X