Hi I'm new-In-Home Grooming how do I handle clients not tipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I'm new-In-Home Grooming how do I handle clients not tipping

Many of my clients followed me after I left the salon I work in here in NYC. They always tipped there and now for some reason when I groom in their homes, no tip. It get me really irritated as it's not only the money but the demonstration of appreciation. HELP! I don't know how to diplomatically bring up the subject and I don't know if I even should bring up the subject. YIKESSSS it really makes me mad though! HELP (again)

Tip Jar

Have a visible tip jar with a few 5s in it. Act real innocent and tell them how amazed you were atr big tip Mrs Jiones gave you...oh but you don't haaave to tip, I was just so surprised. They usually do. Sneaky? Maybe. Or just have jar visible. Mobile...That is why i told truth about Lisas' big tip.I don't know how shops do it.....

Comment

I don't think you should bring it up at all. You should price your services to make the profit you want without considering tips...tips are just an added bonus and are not mandatory. Your clients probably think that because now you are a business owner rather than an employee they are not expected to tip, which I think is accepted social etiquette. Just be glad your clients followed you and that you are successful with your new business. If you originally priced your services assuming you were going to bring in the same amount in tips, you could always raise prices at some point in the near future.

Comment

I do House-Call in NYC as well. I built my clientale, however, from scratch. All my clients tip and I've never asked them too. When I was grooming in a shop - several had asked me if I would make a house call. I felt the ethical thing to do at that time was to refuse them because I was working for someone else and I didn't feel it was right to take money out of the shop owners pocket. I felt that decision paid off for me. NYC clients are strange and many will try to get over if you let them. Some also think that if you are an owner, they don't have to tip. Doing house call is very much like mobile - only we don't have a van.We also have to haul our gear and it's not lightweight.It's a premium service and I make that very clear to new clients. My rates for services are definately higher than a shop. You may want to try raising your rates and don't have any expectations. I don't feel there's any real subtle way of asking for a tip - it's been a hot topic on this board before.

Comment

Hi Nicolette,
          Welcome! Usually around Christmas time, some of the major newspapers publish tipping guidelines. The ones I've read always include a blurb about not tipping the owners of a hair salon or grooming salon. I don't agree with it if the owner is the one providing the service, like my hairstylist, because he deserves the appreciation too.
          But, that might be the reason why some clients who used to tip you when you were an employee aren't tipping you now that you're the business owner. I, personally, am not comfort bringing up the subject of tipping with my clients. If they tip, great! I appreciate it! If not, my prices are high enough that I still feel paid fairly for the services I provided.
          Wishing you much success with your new in-home business!
          Sheri
          Last edited by Cosette; 02-12-07, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I don't think you should ever bring up tipping that would look really tacky and both sides would feel really awkward. A tip is a bonus not mandatory. There most likely thinking that your making 100% profit that there's no need to pay extra. Also, maybe your prices are higher then they were paying at the shop.

Comment

Amysue said exactly what I was thinking when I read your post. Did you raise your prices when you went from shop to home grooming? Make sure your prices reflect what you need and want.
              don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I have some customers who tip and others who don't. If you're used to being tipped from every customer, then post a comical sign that might say something like, "Groomers love tipping too!" or something like that. It suggests that you would like your customers to tip you as well. I once had a customer tip me with a 5th of Jack Daniel's whiskey. Pretty awesome tip, I'd say!

Comment

You should raise your prices to make you happy, so therefore you won't feel tips are necessary. If you do get them above your price that's just gravy money.

Comment

If I read your post correctly, you groom in their apartments, using their water and elec, I'm sure after you leave and the fur settles , they have to clean up what was left behind...you have very little overhead, don't be so selfish.

Comment

Christmas is a long way away

Many who do not tip give one time Christmas bonus...not the same as a good bill extra .ea time..but they think they are being wonderful. I always thought if you make the amount off a bit, they would round off to next highest..not necessarily. Just tip yourself with the price you need. Earlier in year say your accountant says you have to increase...give a month or two notice.Tax time is always a good excuse. Cost of living you know, people understand, goes up, up up.

Comment

I would never, ever ask a client to tip. I have my rates set so that I get paid what I feel I am worth. Tips are a nice bonus, but I feel that bringing up the subject would be tacky, and very rude, actually. Now, I know how it feels to be used to getting tips and then not getting tips, or smaller tips. Everyone has their reasons for not tipping or not being able to tip. If you just aren't bringing in enough $$, rethink your rates. It helps to make a business plan and see what your overhead is. Make your rules and stick to them and do a good grooming job...the rest will follow.

Comment

Edited.
                          Last edited by pamperedpups; 02-25-07, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Tacky Tacky, First of all you should never expect a tip. If you get one great. If not oh well.
                            I also feel that signs or suggestions would be wrong. If your customers want to tip they will
                            "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                            Nancy

Comment

tips

I once ordered for a pizza delivery (yes different business but maybe more people think like this) the owner was delivering I went to give my money and said keep the rest. He told me no, owner does not except tips. Lots of different thoughts from different people. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X