Inverter in new build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1 Clean Puppy View Post
    I didn't realize WGT uses that costly an inverter. Whoa.
    Their inverter allows the Onan to be run way less so to extend the life of the generator. Without the inverter you may get several years out of the Onan. With the inverter you may get 10 years maybe more. Not including the summer where your AC is on most of your day, the fall winter and spring you basically only need the generator for drying dogs. The rest of the time the batteries are powering your van. Propane keeps you warm and your water hot. So instead of say 6 gen hours you may only put on less than 1 hour per day in the months where you do not need the AC

Comment

Thing about the Hanvey is by using the engine as the generator all the time you are putting rotating cycles on the engine.

Most studies on idling under load (like AC) show its about the same as 33 MPH of wear and tear on the engine.

Idle it for 6 hours a day thats 198 miles of wear

work 48 weeks a year X 6 days a week 288 days @198 per day

You effectively put 57K on your rig with adding a single mile to the odometer.

Over 5 years that 285K of engine wear and maintenance alone.

Comment

Hey Dave.

With the CA emissions standards and what CA plans to do with new vehicle sales moving to electric, do you think A, new groom vans will be banned in the state and B, do you think even existing mobile vans with generators will be banned from operating also? What’s the future of mobile grooming there. All battery inverter with plug in shoreline?

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post

Hanvey's use their engines as generators.
          Interesting since in the RV world running a Mercedes’ diesel van is a big no no….they act like if you idle it you will kill it!

Comment

Thus the reason you don’t see many hanveys and those that own then quickly dump them. They tried to outsmart wagn by not using a generator but in turn put the wear and tear on the engine. And you also need to idle the engine to make hot water so even in winter you need to idle for heat and hot water.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
              Thing about the Hanvey is by using the engine as the generator all the time you are putting rotating cycles on the engine.

Most studies on idling under load (like AC) show its about the same as 33 MPH of wear and tear on the engine.

Idle it for 6 hours a day thats 198 miles of wear

work 48 weeks a year X 6 days a week 288 days @198 per day

You effectively put 57K on your rig with adding a single mile to the odometer.

Over 5 years that 285K of engine wear and maintenance alone.

Wow that's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                Hey Dave.

With the CA emissions standards and what CA plans to do with new vehicle sales moving to electric, do you think A, new groom vans will be banned in the state and B, do you think even existing mobile vans with generators will be banned from operating also? What’s the future of mobile grooming there. All battery inverter with plug in shoreline?

This is tough one to figure out - so far the state hasn't gone after groomers but its very likely.
                I suspect the future is a giant battery based van with a heat pump system.

Comment

Originally posted by ItzaClip! View Post
                  Interesting since in the RV world running a Mercedes’ diesel van is a big no no….they act like if you idle it you will kill it!
                  Correct.

The idle and fast idle switches everyone else can buy at build time also had timers on them, but Mercedes doesn't like selling or Warrantying.

Hanvey is out on a limb here but touts " sprinter approval" or at leas they used to. Then there is the question of "which Hanvey" built it if you buy used.

When I was servicing vans a Hanvey van came in and that lady claimed she was told "I didnt build that my brother did". (??1??!??)

Comment

With not supplying a gen in the price, their prices are really high.

Comment

Definitely gen over inverter any day in most of US.

Comment

I think the uproars over the "human slavery" of the lithium mining is going to change things. Even major documentary being made. The mines are horrid and filled with young children. It takes of dirt just to make batteries for one car. As bad as fossil fuels in damaging nature and now child slavery.

Comment

Yes I saw that. We're talking kids like 10 years old working all day filthy so the world can have lithium batteries.

Comment

Working...
                          X