my poor van- smashed into a tree!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my poor van- smashed into a tree!

Somebody shoot me now and put me out of my misery, please!!! I was leaving a customer's house today, driving down a long dirt driveway. Coming the other direction, in reverse, is a huge dump truck. I stopped, laid on my horn and he kept coming. I kept on the horn as I began to panic. Eventually, when he was getting a little too close for comfort (and he was moving!), I put the van in reverse and stepped on the gas, as I continued to lay on the horn. I got to the point where the driveway curves and all of a sudden, bang, the van wouldn't move anymore. IN the meantime the dump truck came less than a foot from the front of the van, I had just made it out of his way. I got out and looked at the bumper and didn't see anything, screamed at the guy for being an idiot and not paying attention and drove off. When I got out of the driveway I got out again just to make sure and then I saw it. The side panel of the van, above the rear light all dented up, I opened the back door and it wouldn't close all the way when I went to shut it. The drip rail where the cap sits is also dented. I was/am so upset. I had a choice, get hit from the front or try to get out of the way. I chose the latter and that's how I was rewarded. I cancelled my two collies because I was too upset to go groom them. I called the insurance company and am going for an estimate later this afternoon. You know....things always happen to me on somebody close's birthday. Our fire was on my husband's birthday. Today is my father's birthday. Mines next month, I should probably stay in bed that day.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

So sorry

Just a little FYI. Next time let them hit you. That way it goes on their insurance not your. Getting hit sucks period, but at least you won't have to pay for it. Just like if a deer jumps out in front of you. Don't risk hitting another car or a guide rail. Just let off the gas, brake if you can and hit it. That way the insurance co will see it as an act of god and it does not go against you.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

If I had let him hit the front of me instead they'd be able to fix it alot more easily...just a regular van. I just went to have the estimate done and the place they sent me can't do it, I have to have it done at a "specialty" place where they work on RV's. He did tell me though, that although the whole side panel doesn't need to be removed, it does all need to be painted, so that means new graphics are needed, and that they need to take off the cap to do repairs and the electrical on that side may be affected. Something so "minor" as far as dents is "major" money. I don't care about having to pay a surcharge on insurance...I do however, care about the fact that I'll probably be out of service for 2 weeks....So, where should I go on vacation?

Comment

Originally posted by diamienono View Post
        Just a little FYI. Next time let them hit you. That way it goes on their insurance not your. Getting hit sucks period, but at least you won't have to pay for it. Just like if a deer jumps out in front of you. Don't risk hitting another car or a guide rail. Just let off the gas, brake if you can and hit it. That way the insurance co will see it as an act of god and it does not go against you.
        Absolutly....not that we want you to EVER be in another accident. Remeber the most important thing is that you are ok...so who are you going to for an estimate? Do regular bodyshops do body repairs on Mobile grooming vehicles?
        Making Central Florida Pawsitively Purrfect since 2005.

Comment

OMG, I am so soory. Did you get the name of the company? I would call them and atleast tell them what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by furrybestjob View Post
            If I had let him hit the front of me instead they'd be able to fix it alot more easily...just a regular van. I just went to have the estimate done and the place they sent me can't do it, I have to have it done at a "specialty" place where they work on RV's. He did tell me though, that although the whole side panel doesn't need to be removed, it does all need to be painted, so that means new graphics are needed, and that they need to take off the cap to do repairs and the electrical on that side may be affected. Something so "minor" as far as dents is "major" money. I don't care about having to pay a surcharge on insurance...I do however, care about the fact that I'll probably be out of service for 2 weeks....So, where should I go on vacation?

I Hate to bust your bubble, but I use to run an auto body repair shop and that is exactly why I asked if you were going to a regular shop...Definitly go on vacation because it'll be tied up 2 or more weeks easy. Make sure ALL the parts they at least think they need will be at the repair shop BEFORE you drop the truck off( it is still driveable, right?) And don't be surprised when they call and tell you they found additional damage or whatever, that usually happens as they take it apart and find hidden damage.

Comment

You know, now that I think about it, I don't think it would have been a good idea to let him hit me. First of all, it was a big garbage truck (not dump, the kind that crushes the garbage). I could have been hurt, he was really moving. Also, chances are the van would have been too damaged to drive, so I'd be completely down, right now, with weeks of work schedules. At least the van is still driveable and I can continue to work until it gets fixed. At least I have time to plan.

Comment

furry, i think you are right. At his size and speed, would he have even noticed he hit you anyway? What if he didn't and he just pushed you back into a tree, then you would have been squished on both ends.....even if he would have noticed, there would probably have been a delay and that truck could have pushed right up through your hood and into you. I don't even want to think about what could have happened to you physically. You did the right thing. We aren't talking about a little car backing into you. I think you are lucky to have escaped with the little damage that you did.

Comment

That is so terrible thank God you are o.k.I know you must be very frusterated.I hope all works out cheaply and fast.Be safe.

Comment

Yikes!!! Thank goodness you are okay... and here's hoping you are back on the road grooming ASAP!!

Comment

crunch and repairs..Oh My!

So sorry to hear you had a crunch! But at least the rig is still drivable, and you are not hurt!
                      Two weeks down time is not something to look forward too. I had that happen last fall, almost 3 weeks down time, had to get a part then it was defective! so had to have a second part come in!

I was lucky, I had 2 really super gals, also mobile, that helped me out, doing some of my dogs in their rigs, yes I paid 50% to then for overhead and stuff, but it kept me working, and my clients on schedual. I did the grooming, they were the cheaufure. Just a thought.
                      Glad to hear that you are alright.

Comment

I think you made the right decision by trying to get out of his way, because he was too stupid to pay attention or hear your horn. You could have been badly hurt by a truck coming at you at a high speed. You should call the company, I'm sure he can be proven at fault for something. Glad to know you're alright.

Comment

Im glad to hear your rig is still driveable....keep on truckin baby!

Comment

(((HUGS))) At least YOU are OK. The van can be fixed, schedules re-done but YOU? Not so easy I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. If you have G-G for insurance better start looking for a new company. I had a fender-bender and they had about $40,000 in claims from the 2 cars and the 5 people in them. I was at fault. I got a notice that they were not going to renew my insurance for the next period and I was left to find my own. Good luck to you!!!!!!

Comment

That IS terrible! I would still attempt to find out who he works for and report it. If there was no where to go and you had the right of way, he ran you off the road. If he's a city, state or county employee, they will check to see who was working that route and he will be accountable to make a statement in writing to his supervisor.

I constantly wonder how people, in much smaller vehicles, mind you...fail to see these big commercial grooming units?

Wow....the only scratch my van ever got....I literally cried. I don't know how I'd handle something like you've experienced.
                              Thank God you weren't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                              X