Question for my fellow mobilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for my fellow mobilers

I am going to be going back to school and am cutting my working days down from 6 to 3 (gasp) long days.
    I have a lot of standing apts that I do every month, etc that are going to fill up those times pretty much immediately.
    I am wondering for those who are the "i'll just call you" type people who of course, get annoyed when I am booking up 2-3 weeks out... should I send out a letter informing those clients of my adjusted work days?? Or should I just not worry about them and fit them in as I can?
    These are people who I have tried repetitively to get on a schedule, but they do not. I would say a majority of them do not keep their pups in the best shape either.

I would say that if there are any clients that you especially like or pets that you like then I would send them a letter. For the others I would just fit them in when they call, or not.

Comment

You know, I have some clients like that still ....not that many anymore but they cling to the freedom of the last minute call. Unfortunately, now that I am booked up 2 weeks in advance they are experiencing the same problems yours will be. The ones who get indignant...you can live without. The ones who suddenly see the light....you can hang on to them. I bet they will appreciate you even more.

I have one lady who was just so offended when I first tried to get her to prebook. It was almost like "i will decide if you are good enough each time for me to book with you again and it will be on my terms". Even after I groomed for her many times and she started to really like me (she always had regarded me with suspicion...i was ripping her off by charging too much and she would meticulously check the ears, nails, etc)...still, she would not prebook. This month she calls for her appt and guess what...over two weeks before my next appt. Guess what she did? She booked her next 3 appts...well into the spring....and asked me if she should go further than that! Of course, she was one of the ones I had hoped would not be able to wait and would get a new groomer (dog is cute, but a royal pain!). Figures.

Besides, you won't have as many spaces left anyway, you may need some natural attrition. I would just mention your new schedule to them next time you service their pet. For the people you really want to keep, be very pursuasive. For the others....be less so and mention that your new schedule may no longer meet their needs. People don't seem to read letters.

Comment

I agree you should notify the ones you really want to keep. See if you can get them "Pencilled in" so that you will be able to accomodate them when their time comes. That was what I would say to people who hated to make a committment of their time. And if your cancellation policy is 24 hours, than call them 2 days ahead in case they wish to reschedule..

If they still don't want to book an appointment, then refer them to a petsomething who can assist them with their sudden grooming needs and let them know that due to your new schedule you can no longer accomodate the clients needs. Any cleint who is not willing to stay on a schedule may be unable to get an appointment for weeks or even months. That courtesy call will either one) whip them into shape. or two) Ship them out!!!

Comment

what will it hurt to send them a letter. Make it short and sweet. If they don't respond then when they call. That is their problem.
          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it..
            I am already booking 2-3 weeks out as is.. my life is going to get crazier! Yippee bring on the stress of school and running a business
            I figure this is a good oportunity to get rid of the PIA (pain in the a$s) clients.
            Oh I have been waiting for this moment

Comment

What are you studying in school? Just curious. It will be an opportunity to weed out the not-so-great clients by making them wait for an opening, let me tell ya!

Comment

I am going to school for nursing.. I am very excited and nervous. I have been on a waiting list for 2 years and I finally got in a few weeks ago when someone dropped off the list.
                The regular clients that I have that are awesome are happy for me and don't bat an eye when I say my days are changing. They are just nervous that they may loose me when I finish school.
                Paws- is that your dog in the avatar? If so your dog looks just like mine who is a lab/? I swear she is part Great Dane. At 9 months she is about 65lbs and getting bigger every sec. She is soo sweet. She has little "chips" I call them on her chest... so cute. I have to get an update pic to put in my avatar.

Comment

My hubby just graduated nursing school in July. He was working for state mental hospital, but that was BAD, so He just went back to Reading Hospital.
                  If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

If it were me I'd raise prices on all the "will-call" clients and send a letter. Word it something to the effect that to ensure regular, prompt, on-going service you need to make some changes and that in the future clients without standing appointments may not get the day, date and/or time of their choosing. This has worked for me. Good luck to you!!!!!!!

Comment

Fill them in as they call

If they aren't steadfast clients don't waste the stamp:-)

Comment

I wouldn't consider it a waste nessicarily, this is her bread and butter while she is going to school. Congratulations on getting in~! So why are you leaving grooming? Just need a change?
                        Making Central Florida Pawsitively Purrfect since 2005.

Comment

Clients

Paws I understand your point but she needs to cut back, which means she has enough... so, save your money and as they call fit them in or refer them to a groomer you trust:-)

Comment

Working...
                          X