Scottie tufts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottie tufts

Can anyone tell me how to groom the tufts and tail of SCOTTIES.. Maybe a sketch(that would be nice). The problem is I only have one Scottie as a customer.

Sorry, I do not touch them.

Comment

Mo, you're not alone. My Scottie is an unpredictable bitter....

Comment

They are Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I flat out refuse to to touch them. Only breed on earth that makes my heart beat out of my chest

Comment

Mo, you put a smile on my face!

Comment

Check out You-Tube. There's some really good videos on scottie grooms. probably easier to see than try to explain. I have groomed some really nice scotties-they're not all brats. Have also groomed a few nasties, but their owners let them walk all over them with no rules. I think it depends on your location-whether there are good breeders around, and the way the owners handle them.
            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I had a Scottie - was her third owner and came to me when she was already 10. Easiest ways todo tufts is to fold the ear lengthwise and , with your shears, make a triangle shape from the skull to the ear tip (base of the skull is widest part of triangle). Release folded ear and you'll have respectable tufts. Pina showed us this shortcut while in school and its npretty foolproof.

Comment

Remember what most descriptions say about scotties..."they think /know they are smarter than most humans". To me they have a typical Scots attitude of 'prove to me you're worth my time.' Having Scots relatives its not hard to deal with from a dog.

As for being a brat, when my Fiona first moved in and needed a nail trim that's when we had our first rumble. SHe screamed the Scottie scream, my sister cut leg holes in an old pillow case and held the dog suspended in the air while I trimmed. It got easier after that, but for a long time I had to muzzle her to get nails done. First time I tried without the muzzle she pulled the battery pack out of an industrial Dremel.

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
                  I had a Scottie - was her third owner and came to me when she was already 10. Easiest ways todo tufts is to fold the ear lengthwise and , with your shears, make a triangle shape from the skull to the ear tip (base of the skull is widest part of triangle). Release folded ear and you'll have respectable tufts. Pina showed us this shortcut while in school and its npretty foolproof.
                  Thanks, I'll give it a try. Great description.

Comment

Thanks Karla. The Scottie I groom was good for nails and after the mom took him once to another groomer just for nail trîmming he turned into a supper bitter.

Comment

LOL... I do one Scottie and I'm not sure if he's poor bred or mixed.. he looks mostly 99% Scottie. He comes in once a year for a shave down. Ai yi yi. His face is this mass of long curls, but his coat only grows about 3" and his eyebrows are not long at all. So.. forget proper ears. I do give him a narrow carrot tail and give him a Scottie face, but I must say, it's a huge challenge since I'm starting from scratch with him. He's a really nice dog.
                      Debbie
                      There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

Thanks daesue, I cannot stand these Once a year overgrown dogs. So much work, I feel for the dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Maltesepom View Post
                          Thanks daesue, I cannot stand these Once a year overgrown dogs. So much work, I feel for the dogs.
                          I totally agree and this one lives way out where the weeds are rampant. The owner said her husband whacked all the weeds.. so I found all these pieces of dry grass everywhere stuck in his coat. No foxtails, which is good.. but man you can't even see his face when he comes in. He comes in with his brother who is such an interesting black mix of a dog, short, stocky, terrier mix. Then she said.. "Can you do them in 3 hours?" Uh sure... hahahaha. So I bathed the bigger one (51 lbs), dried him, put him in a crate, then did the Scottie's body. Crated him. Then did an A Comb on the big dog.. easy easy lol. Then I had 15 min to do the Scottie's head. Uh not gonna happen hahahaha. I've got 2 grooming books out, am doing a quick re-study, like I do every year this dog comes in.. kind of do him like I do a Schnauzer head... those eyebrows though. And I'm looking at him, looking at the book, looking at him.. those ears are getting shaved off lol! Done in 3 hours and 20 min lol. I'm like see ya next year!
                          Debbie
                          There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never really had a mean scotty... just a couple that are snappish for their legs (I don't really blame them with how twisted up the poor things were!) And it helps that I work in a salon where we can tag-team for difficult nails- a nice suspended bear hug does wonders for solving the big teeth/short leg problem.

Comment

Originally posted by daesue View Post
                              I totally agree and this one lives way out where the weeds are rampant. The owner said her husband whacked all the weeds.. so I found all these pieces of dry grass everywhere stuck in his coat. No foxtails, which is good.. but man you can't even see his face when he comes in. He comes in with his brother who is such an interesting black mix of a dog, short, stocky, terrier mix. Then she said.. "Can you do them in 3 hours?" Uh sure... hahahaha. So I bathed the bigger one (51 lbs), dried him, put him in a crate, then did the Scottie's body. Crated him. Then did an A Comb on the big dog.. easy easy lol. Then I had 15 min to do the Scottie's head. Uh not gonna happen hahahaha. I've got 2 grooming books out, am doing a quick re-study, like I do every year this dog comes in.. kind of do him like I do a Schnauzer head... those eyebrows though. And I'm looking at him, looking at the book, looking at him.. those ears are getting shaved off lol! Done in 3 hours and 20 min lol. I'm like see ya next year!
                              So true, love your story!

Comment

Working...
                              X