Inverter Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter Installation

I have a 2011 Pet Pro without an inverter. Is it complicated to have one installed? Thanks!

I have seen it done, you will probably get some good answers tomorrow.

Comment

I would certainly contact Jamie at Wag'n Tails (800) 513-0304 and run this by him. You will need a touch pad that will accommodate both the generator and inverter system that will receive commands. Also the electrical wire has to receive both gen and inverter commands. Also the outside plug in for overnight recharging needs to be connected to the inverter........and probably many more things that I don't know about. It might be cheaper to trade it in for one that has already been converted by WGT

I too have a 2011 Pro with both gen and inverter. It has saved me so much $$....it took 1.5 years before I reached 500 hr on the generator for it's first tune-up, vs 3 tune-ups with only a gen at approx.$350 each time.

Also grooming in complete silence is a blessing. The only time you need the gen is when drying or AC.

Happy contacting WGT

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
        I would certainly contact Jamie at Wag'n Tails (800) 513-0304 and run this by him. You will need a touch pad that will accommodate both the generator and inverter system that will receive commands. Also the electrical wire has to receive both gen and inverter commands. Also the outside plug in for overnight recharging needs to be connected to the inverter........and probably many more things that I don't know about. It might be cheaper to trade it in for one that has already been converted by WGT

I too have a 2011 Pro with both gen and inverter. It has saved me so much $$....it took 1.5 years before I reached 500 hr on the generator for it's first tune-up, vs 3 tune-ups with only a gen at approx.$350 each time.

Also grooming in complete silence is a blessing. The only time you need the gen is when drying or AC.

Happy contacting WGT

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
        Yeah, I already spoke with Jamie and he told me the model to get and to get it done at an RV place. Just didn't know how big of a job it was.

Comment

Not to be a downer, but it makes sense if you purchase the van with the system, but to add it will cost you what, couple thousand or more? The overall cost savings in fuel and generator maintenance will take you I would imagine 3-5 years to make up the savings in saved fuel and gen hours. By then will you still have the van or sell it for a new model? You have to weigh the benefits vs the cost.

My newest van I built with a gen and inverter. I did a Aims inverter and 4 golf cart batteries which was a lot more economical than putting in sealed batteries and inverter system like Wagn tails which cost thousands more. Wagn Tails wants $5000 for the inverter option. For me in the desert SW, we use AC 8 months a year. Not worth it here. My inverter runs the dryer unlike the Wagn Tails system, but when we run AC, the gen is on all day.

Comment

What about those of you in cold areas. Is it like the reverse of Tom, you run the gen a lot for heat (instead of AC)?

Comment

Originally posted by Brit View Post
              What about those of you in cold areas. Is it like the reverse of Tom, you run the gen a lot for heat (instead of AC)?
              I can answer that, Brit. Wagn Tails vans come equipped with propane gas systems which provide hot water and forced air heat, so it is an independent system and does not draw from the generator at all. But a non Wagn Tails van without propane, like the van I built last year relies on electric hot water and heat, so it does affect the inverter power. But it does not get very cold here in winter.

Comment

*UPDATE* So, the van now has a great inverter installed and I thought I'd update in case anyone else was looking to do this. If you find an RV place willing to take on the job bring your van in for them to take a look at. From there they'll tell you what equipment you need to purchase and it's a relatively simple procedure for them. I thought the right thing to do would be to ask Jamie/WnT what to get and he suggested an inverter that was WAY more powerful and way more expensive than I needed and now I have to return it.
                Anyway, so glad it's done and much cheaper than getting a new van : )

Comment

Curious...What did you get and how many AH's do you have?

Can you show us picts of the install?

What did Jamie suggest you get?

Thanks.

UD

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
                    Curious...What did you get and how many AH's do you have?

Can you show us picts of the install?

What did Jamie suggest you get?

Thanks.

UD
                    It's a Xantrex Pro 1800 Watt. I tried uploading a pic but it didn't work. Anyway, Jamie told me to get an Outback 2000 Watt. This is the model that WnT uses. However it's pretty much impossible to install this huge, powerful inverter without taking the van apart and rewiring everything.
                    Instead of that I went with a much smaller inverter with much less headache involved. It took a day and does everything the bigger one does. I don't have a refrigerator or a tv or anything so it's powering just the very basic stuff.

Comment

The 2000 WGT uses is a pure sine wave 80 amp charger and Inverter combo. It is a superb unit but yes it is expensive and large.

Xantrex 1800 pro is a modified sign wave inverter only- a very good unit no doubt, not the equivalent piece technology wise but probably sufficient.

What are you charging with?

UD

Comment

What are you charging with?

Ha! I have no idea! I know nothing about inverters and when they told me everything about it and how it works I was so confused. The receipt says there's 2 Glass Mat 24 Batteries.

Comment

You need to figure out 2 things pretty quick,

Where you are at any given time with your state of charge.
                          Wether or not you are getting fully charged overnight and starting your day with a full state of charge.

Inattention to these parameters will render your batteries expensive junk in a hurry.

2 group 24's is a pretty small bank.

UD

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
                            You need to figure out 2 things pretty quick,

Where you are at any given time with your state of charge.
                            Wether or not you are getting fully charged overnight and starting your day with a full state of charge.

Inattention to these parameters will render your batteries expensive junk in a hurry.

2 group 24's is a pretty small bank.

UD
                            Okey dokey Dave!

Comment

Working...
                            X