Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Financially mobile makes waaay less ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financially mobile makes waaay less ....

Do the math. Unless you don't know how to manage a team, even then your cost of start up is waaaay out of bounds, don't be fooled, stationary owners financially do faaaar better. You don't want a heap of junk sitting in your yard after driving off the lot AND still owing to it. Rent cheap, hire many.

Not always true. I can vouch cause I have a small mobile fleet and a groom shop. Startup on a shop can be 50 grand when you need contractors to build and permit the work. I bought an existing shop so I had the advantage of everything up and running.
    But mobile can be a lot cheaper depending on where you park and what kind of van you are buying. At least my van payments lead to a vehicle title and ownership. My shop rent goes out the window.
    Another mobile advantage is higher price per groom vs shop if you are doing it correctly. Dollar for dollar mile by mile more profit in my mobile unless you run a 30 dog shop per day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

WOW.......I don't know how you have come up with this thought process. Most mobile groomers around my area all make close to or above 100K,..... AND they are not driving "a heap of junk".

Here are a few things to think about:

1) No landlord raising rent. After you have paid off the van, it's yours free and clear of any further payments. I had mine paid off in 6 months.

2). You don't have to heat/or cool your van 24/7 like a commercial building. Only in the winter, when it is below freezing, do you need heat 24/7

3). You don't have an extra water bill.

4). Your van comes with the basic equipment...table, shop vac, water heater, generator, tub, bathing system, stereo, etc. so you don't have to purchase these separately

5). You can run on an inverter system, saving your generator...it's like free power

6). Charge more per dog, do less dogs a day and still make more money than working in a salon.

Happy redoing your math

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Show us your math.

UD

Comment

Nope nope nope. Don't know where you're getting your numbers. I've owned operated three kinds of grooming operations. High volume shop, mom and pop shop, and mobile. I by far make WAY more money in my mobile, than I ever made before. And I work less, in that I do less dogs, and still make more.

Comment

I can also tell you when you have multiple vans with legal employees and paying tax and workers comp plus fuel plus commercial insurance plus I have a warehouse to park. I cannot have 4 vans in front of my house. Not legal. So when you add up rent for vans, and all other expenses my mobile bills per month are a third higher than my shop bills. Difference is mobile makes double the income. So mobile bills higher in reality due to 1000 month insurance and 1200 month rent, fuel is 1200 to 1500 month. Add in maintenance and it is higher.

My shop will never need a oil change, fuel, drivers insurance, tires, brakes, generator repair, registration, but my shop, I unlock the door, turn on lights and start working. Rent is the biggest overhead at shop. Electric is very minimal for the most part. Water included in rent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I should have said I KEEP more money. I make AND keep more than my mom and pop, and keep more than my high volume shop.

Comment

Thanks for keeping it real. Your math will never add up. Rent stationary folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt99 View Post
                  Thanks for keeping it real. Your math will never add up. Rent stationary folks.
                  Kurt......where is YOUR math?
                  Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I have both. They both have pros and cons. I somewhat agree with Kurt that my van is more expensive to buy and run than my shop and more physical as well. I will eventually own it but it will be an older van that I must constantly maintain with $$ for it to have a decent value. A sole op with no staff can make money at either though. It's harder on the body in mobile though. IMO

Comment

Most mobile groomers I know didn't want to have a shop. They enjoy working alone, not being an employer, and they are happy that way. Money isn't the only issue. But I would also say this really depends upon where you are at. Do you know the type rent some small shops pay in California. Like $1,500 to $2,500 a month in some areas. Just for rent even for a one person business. So then they almost have to get employees, and so some mobile groomers actually make more than them.

Comment

Agree that the single mobile groomer accepts the working lifestyle of being mobile with great intent, but some do very well. Here are the survey results of stationary groomers versus mobile groomers. See attachment.
                        Attached Files
                        Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

Is it just me or are you having the piss with us Kurt? It just seems like you're trying to get reactions from your posts. Either way, I think there are variables that could affect both stationary and mobile to swing it either way.

I have no experience with mobile grooming but I feel like everyone has made some fantastic points that make me want to look into it lol

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                            Agree that the single mobile groomer accepts the working lifestyle of being mobile with great intent, but some do very well. Here are the survey results of stationary groomers versus mobile groomers. See attachment.
                            Kurt seems to always sound angry. Not sure why. I love that survey, you guys have the best info. My dad always reminded everyone going self employed, it's not what you make but what you keep.

Comment

If you buy a new van whatever they cost now say 75K and then add taxes and licensing say 80K. Divide that buy 60 months or 5 years your monthly payment is over $1400 when you add interest. At the end of 5 years you own it but it has lost considerable value(of course a down payment makes it lower but you still paid the money). Add insurance, gas & other maintenance and needing to be able to replace batteries or tires or whatever, it is not cheap to run a nice van. And it's physically demanding to do very many dogs a day. It's not for everybody.

But I think if you are a solo they are about the same. You have good and bad in both. With employees Idk.

Comment

Working...
                              X