Need Your Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Your Opinion

So my mobile grooming business has been up and running for about a month. I have been having a couple of people book appointments and then when its time to confirm they dont answer or call back. If we dont get a confirmation we dont go out. I feel this is happening to often, and we are losing money for people that actually want am appointment. What should i do? What is my best option? Should i send them a bill? I have another person that keeps making appointments and canceling 30 min before and she has a big dog so thats blocking another spot for another dog. She confirms the day before and cancels that day.

allow 1 cancellation. after that they can pre pay using a card for at last 25% of appointment to hold the slot. any more cancel or no show then fired.

Comment

Most ppl do not realise they are clogging your books with canceling at the last minute. If I don't receive a confirmation or a cancel the day before, I text back that I have ppl wanting in so I do need to know. This normally gets their attention. If they don't reply still, I will let them know that I have canceled ALL their prebooked appts and if they need my services to call and I will see if I can work them in. Emergencies are forgiven, because life happens.
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Good advice but do be careful about charging people. Some areas have consumer protection and you cannot bill them for missed appointments without contracts setup and signed etc.

Comment

I don't waste my time on calling clients to remind them of their appointment, it's written on their previous receipt with an approximate time. If I show up, and they are not home, I call them and let them know that I will wait 15 minutes before I head off to my next appointment. If they return my call, I usually get their garage code to enter and groom Fluffy. If I don't get a call back within those 15 min, I note it on my client card and will give them up to 3 no shows in one year before I drop them. If they never call back, then I drop them. I never charge for N/S.

Happy getting their garage codes

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

No one, not even after 8 years of servicing the same clients do they even offer us a keypad code. I would not even dare ask. It's an invasion of privacy to enter a home and I would not want to enter a house where their dog may be territorial and may turn aggressive, run and hide under the bed. My groomers don't get paid to chase dogs down. Clients or someone who can pay MUST be there to hand over the dog(s).

Our policy is confirm appt the day prior. If they do not answer phone, we leave message stating we are coming. If they need to cancel, they must return the call by day's end or first thing in the morning. Now, if they do not cancel and we get there and no one's home, we call them, wait to see if they can be there in a reasonable time like 15 minutes. If not, we leave. If it's a new client, adios, we will not service them. If it's a return client, we will allow up to 2 no shows per year, then goodbye.

The biggest issue is last minute cancels and then the groomers have gaps in their day. It's the nature of the mobile business, people have more important things that may come up unexpected.

Comment

[QUOTE=IrishSetterTom;695881]No one, not even after 8 years of servicing the same clients do they even offer us a keypad code. I would not even dare ask. It's an invasion of privacy to enter a home and I would not want to enter a house where their dog may be territorial and may turn aggressive, run and hide under the bed. My groomers don't get paid to chase dogs down. Clients or someone who can pay MUST be there to hand over the dog(s).

Probably 35-40% of my client's have given me either their house key or garage codes. In fact, I do not know of any mobile groomer in my area that hasn't got a ton of codes. Maybe in your situation, you have "employees" that may "come and go" or "rotate", and your clients do not feel comfortable to give their codes out, but if you are an independent groomer, and get to know your clients, I bet your situation would be more like mine. Since you have said that in 8 years, no one has offered their code to you should tell you something...... I even have had first time clients handing me over their code.

Happy looking and being honest

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I don't know what you are trying to imply Dolly. My business is professional and my groomers have the same clients like you do regulars that only see them. We are not offered codes because we don't ask, it's not our policy to fetch dogs.

Let's see 8 years multiple vans out 7 days over 3 million in service so far. Who's successful?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't charge for cancellations, but if someone did it did it over and over, I would let them know that other people wanted to book that time for their pet and didn't get to book it.
                  On another note, I go into people's apartments when they're not there. but sometimes they live in buildings with doormen. The doormen give me the key. I don't think they see it as an invasion of privacy, because they're the ones who ask me to do it. I groom cats though, not dogs.

Comment

I don't agree with the invasion of privacy viewpoint. If the client is comfortable and the dog is not aggressive, I'd prefer they weren't home. Speeds up my day to not have to deal with the clients. Done clients aren't comfortable and some love coming home to a clean dog and not having to worry about scheduling. Of course, I used to do pet sitting. I was a bit amazed at how willing people were to give a total stranger their keys and alarm codes but it worked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

60 or more percent of our clients are seniors. Many others are middle age families with children. Our clients book days according to their schedules and time off. There are many shift workers who work nights that are home. We never had issues booking clients that we need keys to get in their homes.

I resent Dolly saying we may not look honest. We are licensed in 5 jurisdictions and have layers of insurance, bonded and are a local preferred biz on the city BBB.

Many clients actually think our groomers own their vans cause we only deal with them on the phone. Clients are really not aware I own the van and company as the groomers are really working like an independent.

Maybe in small town America you get more personal relationships with clients but not here in America's biggest transient city and lots of crime. Lots of shady unlicensed businesses here. People are much more guarded.
                      I just asked my wife about this. We do have a few clients who leave their dog in the yard for us if they have to do something and won't be there. Some also leave back doors unlocked for us. But it's not the norm. We also have many affluent clients who have their estate staff hand dogs over. I run many credit cards per week at home where the actual owners is not present.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Mind you I am not a mobile groomer, but IMO even if a client was comfortable giving me a key or code to enter their home, I think I would have to politely decline as it would seem like a liability issue. If anything ever happened like a robbery or something I wouldn't want the slihtest chance of someone pointing the finger at me. Plus I agree that dogs can become territorial or scared and I wouldn't want to chase them and make them more scarwd or get bit trying. To each his own and whatever works for you individual situation go for it.
                        It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                        Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Aarroyo...Do you make it clear to the client when you leave your reminder call that they need to call you back and confirm?

I ask because I feel that people are used to getting reminder calls from doctors, dentist, etc that don't require a call back on their part.

If I were a new client of yours, and wasn't told specifically that you needed a return call I wouldn't be making a return call. I'd be thinking "oh yeah, that's tomorrow. Ok". And then go about my day as I would if the doctor had called with a reminder.

Comment

I don't call before and every once in a while I get a customer that forgets. I do have a lot of customers that are never home and I use a code or go in their yard. I have some customers I never even met. It's better for me when they aren't home speeds up my day. I don't feel it's an invasion of privacy if they are they ones to offer the code. I do not ask for it. And I don't think Dolly was trying to imply anyone was untrustworthy just stating what works for her. I allow 2 cancellations before I drop them but if they need to reschedule because something came up that's another story.

Comment

Working...
                            X