Paying employee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying employee

I just setup quick books payroll for addition $30 to pay my one and only employee. There has to be a cheaper way to do payroll.
    Help please

The cheapest way is the old-fashioned pen and paper method. It's simply a matter of you deciding how much your time is worth. Is it worth you to sit down for the several hours a month that it will take to do the books and keep the records by hand that way and make sure that the IRS doesn't come after you. Or is it worth the $30 a month to put it into Quicken and let them do the math? Again, It's simply a matter of how much your time is worth to you.

Comment

It's more than just math (if this is legal W2 employment). Payroll services make sure all your fed and state taxes are paid, unemployment taxes and other bond issues that your city may have. They also file these various returns for you and also act on your behalf if issues come up. You sign power of attorney to them. They also calculate and issue end of year forms.

I use Gusto. It's $70 month for 8 of us. I just punch in numbers and they direct deposit and do everything. I also have my Workers Comp insurance tied to it so that also comes out of the payroll deduction.

If you are doing 1099 IC, then it's just math.

Comment

She will be a W2 employee. I suck at math so it's best I don't do it by hand.
        Thanks for the replies.

Comment

I know how to do it all by hand, but I pay QuickBooks (or another service) to do it. It is worth it especially when it is time to file, do W-2's W-3's etc. You can groom more dogs easily in the time it takes to do payroll balanced right to the penny and the forms completed right. Even just one employee is worth it.
          Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

I did it by hand. My 'off' time is less important to me than my money.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
              My 'off' time is less important to me than my money.
              WOW....I agree with Admin and Tom. Money can be replaced or earned rather easily, but time can not be regained.

Comment

I pay my accountant $70/mo for my one W2 employee.
                She deals with Uncle Sam and Texas Workforce Commission.
                She does direct deposits, pays the monthly and quarterly taxes, including my franchise tax.

My time is money. I would rather pay the equivalent of one shih tzu (without the trip fee) a month than sit and fiddle with numbers for hours. If I spend 4 hours a month doing it, I lose. I have come to a point in my life where I just don't want to mess with it. There are so many other things I can allocate that extra time to (and potential of making whopper mistakes is all but negated).

Comment

Originally posted by GlassOnion View Post
                  I pay my accountant $70/mo for my one W2 employee.
                  She deals with Uncle Sam and Texas Workforce Commission.
                  She does direct deposits, pays the monthly and quarterly taxes, including my franchise tax.

My time is money. I would rather pay the equivalent of one shih tzu (without the trip fee) a month than sit and fiddle with numbers for hours. If I spend 4 hours a month doing it, I lose. I have come to a point in my life where I just don't want to mess with it. There are so many other things I can allocate that extra time to (and potential of making whopper mistakes is all but negated).
                  You can have Gusto do it for $50 and you have access from any smart phone, laptop or tablet. You punch in the number, they do it all. I have 8 of us on W-2 and I pay $71 month for weekly payroll direct deposited. They file and pay all returns and I do nothing except tally numbers for us.

Comment

Working...
                  X