New to mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to mobile

HELLO EVERYONE I AM NEW TO MOBILE AND HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS.
    WHAT DO YOU NEED TO GET YOUR MOBILE BUSINESS UP AND RUNNING? Business license?
    DO YOU MAKE CUSTOMERS SIGN RELEASE FORM EVERY GROOM OR JUST THE FIRST TIME?
    HOW DO YOU DO PAYMENTS IF SOMEONE ELSE LIKE A NANNY WILL BE HOME FOR THE GROOM? DO YOU TAKE CARD INFORMATION AND SAVE IT?
    DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH A WRAP FOR THE WHOLE VAN WILL COST?

Hey Aarroyo I will let others comment, but be sure not to post in all caps letter. All caps means shouting. So thanks for posting and let's see what others can do for you.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

thank you. �� oh no. i am definitely not yelling. sorry about that. now i know

Comment

I have a headache just reading the questions in all caps. Kinda rattles your brain. Anyway, I suggest searching old posts. There's a wealth of info and probably a thread for every question you asked. We have heard it all and covered most topics.

A brief answer to your questions:
        1. Yes, you need a license to operate a business legally. Each state, town and county has their own requirements. You can operate as a sole proprietor. You do not need to incorporate yourself or set up a LLC
        2. We did not have clients sign any forms. We just needed shot records.
        3. Payments by other people can be set up in advance, like cash or leaving a check or having someone leave a credit card on file. We have many clients that I run their cards afterwards.
        4. A full wrap top to bottom can be 4 to 5 thousand dollars. I do not think it's worth it. Basic graphics can be done for much less, like logos, phone and web address, paw prints, etc.

Hope that's a start.

Comment

1). Well.......I definitely think you need to set up a LLC (Limited license company)........if anyone happens to sue your grooming business, the LLC prevents them from suing you for your house, car, and everything else not associated with your business. Any attorney can set this up for you. When I approached my town about getting a business license, they said that I didn't need one, since I'm mobile and do not have a store front.

2). I too do not have any clients sign any forms, nor do I request shot records......since I'm mobile, the pet is not around other dogs, as they would be in a salon. If they are not foaming at the mouth, with blood in their eyes to kill the groomer, and have been quietly sleeping on the couch when I arrive, I just ASSUME that they are not rabbet.

3). If my clients are not at home, and probably 35% are never home and have given me their garage pass code or keys, they leave a check on the kitchen counter. For those that don't (some clients never keep track when my next appointment is) I just leave my receipt and they mail me the check. In 8 years of mobile grooming, I've never had anyone stiff me yet.

4) If you are purchasing a new van, then the grooming van company will do your logos. If you have a used van, you can contact Sign-A-Rama,... when I changed phone #, they did a beautiful job on my van. This company seems to be located in most states.

Good Luck

Happy going mobile

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
            1). Well.......I definitely think you need to set up a LLC (Limited license company)...
            It's actually Limited Liability Company not license.

And in reality, the advantages of being a LLC is for tax reasons not law suits. People can and will sue you personally and your business regardless of it's structure and you will still incur legal fees.

Scott

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for help. I am actually doing the LLC threw legalzoom. Has anybody head or them? I have fellow groomers who setup with them and they seemed to love them.

Comment

Dolly, do you realize Governers pet insurance covers you for animal liability during grooming and you are protected? They have covered us due to loss of a pet during a groom.

Setting up a LLC for a single van independent is not necessary for most of us. Sole proprietor status is sufficient and regardless of LLC, you can be sued. Now, if you have millions of dollars in personal assets, then set up a LLC for protection against liability. But with animal grooming, there's little risk of liability to the groomer as most states limit pet loss to the cost of a new puppy. Like my insurance company told me when someone tried to sue us for pain and suffering after their pet died while grooming it, the pet owner cannot claim pain and suffering for themselves, and surely the pet cannot.

In 8 years, we had traffic accidents, pet injuries and pet death on the table and all of it was handled by our insurance company.

Comment

Keep in mind that insurance varies by state and sometimes greatly. In some states pet owners can only sue for replacement cost vs. damages in other states, so policies are created by state. IF you can get professional liability from your insurance company, get it and you don't have to worry about states where additional awards beyond pet replacement cost are possible as you will see on this web page, and California is one of the most liberal to allow them, but it is not usually referred to legally as pain and suffering.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...hapter9-6.html

Comment

Originally posted by BengalCatGuy View Post
                    It's actually Limited Liability Company not license.

And in reality, the advantages of being a LLC is for tax reasons not law suits. People can and will sue you personally and your business regardless of it's structure and you will still incur legal fees.

Scott

OOOPPPPPSSSSS.........guess I put in too much whisky in my cereal this AM........why I put "license" is a mystery to me !! hick-up

Happy enjoying the breakfast for champions

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Do your home work. Research the **** out of this type of business. This site is the best source.

Get Grooming Business in a box book. Read that backwards and forwards. Dont go into this business un educated.

Thats all the thoughts I have.

Comment

I have a Policy with Governers that starts up in September. They really know their stuff and easy to work with.

LLC blaa. To much work to get started.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                          In 8 years, we had traffic accidents, pet injuries and pet death on the table and all of it was handled by our insurance company.
                          NICE!! Now your comments on groomer liability make perfect sense....

Comment

Dolly-I'd love to come have breakfast with you!

Comment

I am required to have a license in every county I serve (3), plus a state business license. My licenses cost me around 700 a year.

I have a general form that has a quick release at the bottom that the owners sign the first time I do the dog. In short, I verify my pet has a current rabies vx or medical exemption, I will pay vet bills unless due to groomer negligence or accidents, groomer isn't responsible for old age, bad behavior or matting accidents. Permission to groom. It is also the card I use to record what I do grooming wise.

Most of my clients are home. Those that aren't I have credit cards on file, or they will leave a check.

As Tom said, wraps are expensive. Graphics work just as well and cheaper. Mine for three sides of the van were about a grand.

Comment

Working...
                              X