Buying new van but keep the old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying new van but keep the old?

Not brand new but only 2 years old. Wagn. Now the old one is 10 years, paid off, and in all those years there was a few times I wished I had a backup. I don't need the trade in value toward new loan for the new 2 year. But I suppose I have to pay insurance on it and tags, could be worth it. How many of you keep a backup unit, even if you use trailers?

Originally posted by 1mobilegroomer View Post
    Not brand new but only 2 years old. Wagn. Now the old one is 10 years, paid off, and in all those years there was a few times I wished I had a backup. I don't need the trade in value toward new loan for the new 2 year. But I suppose I have to pay insurance on it and tags, could be worth it. How many of you keep a backup unit, even if you use trailers?

We kept our backup a while when we got the new van.
    Wish I hadn't have sold it now. I could offer int to clients as a loaner while I work on theirs.

I don't think you need to insure both fully as you aren't using both concurrently, its one or the other and the commercial policy can recognize that.

Be mindful storing it properly.
    If you don't preserve your fuel and maintain/ excersise the genny properly /drain float bowl it wont be there for you when you need it.

UD

Comment

I don't know............since 2008, I've never been down for more than half a day. My friend's van was down for 3 days and I lent my van to her (no charge) Fri-Sun, so she was able to groom. It seems like a lot of storage and maintenance for a "possible" down time of more than a day or two.

Happy selling it

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I think it is a reasonable luxury of sorts to have the backup but not essential, but if you feel it, go for it and just take care of it. Have you ever thought about having someone else work even just one or two days a week for some extra income?

Comment

My friend is mobile and she keeps her original starter van around and it has come in useful.

Comment

Don't sell it. I would keep it and occasionally take it out to work.

Dolly, it's not just maintenance that can keep a van off the road.

I can tell you from experience, we had 2 collisions over the past 8 years. One was a total loss and the other was in the shop for 40 days. I wish I had a backup. My groomers had to double team for a while until the van was fixed and the other van was replaced. I am looking to build a trailer as a backup because in this city, it's bound to happen again. I can always rent a pickup truck and hitch the trailer in the event a van goes down.

We also lost a week when a transmission went out on a Wagn Tails Ford van. Also when the Onan generator went down we lost 4 days.

It's paid off? Keep it or sell it to me.

Comment

Working...
            X