Wash only, no groom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash only, no groom?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and researching a new career. I will be retiring after the upcoming school year and I want to start a mobile dog wash in my area. Do any of you do just bathing without grooming or are most people looking for a mobile groomer? I am thinking my target customers would be seniors that are not easily able to bathe their dogs and owners of larger dogs that don't want the hassle of loading them up and driving to a grooming appointment. At this point in my life I just don't think I want to go to grooming school to learn all of the different grooming cuts for different breeds. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

I suppose it would be possible, but it would be very slow to build IMO. Very. There are very few wash only dogs. They probably compromise only 1% of my business in total. So imagine how long that would take to actually make money.

I wouldn't recommend doing it. Buying or building a mobile van is a very expensive prospect.

Grooming school is more than learning cuts, it's learning handling and dog behavior too. I think what you are proposing is a disaster waiting to happen on a lot of fronts.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. Anyone else have thoughts and opinions?

Comment

Most grooming businesses offer 1. "full groom" or "complete groom" and 2. bath-only. For pets that require styling most require a bath for the best results. That being said, many breeds and mixed breeds only require bath-only (includes nails, ears, possible sanitary, etc).

My parents had one of the world's largest grooming businesses working up to shifts per day with a second crew, and weekends offering stunning client services and rigid supervision and all hands on grooming on every pet, including drying. What shocked most groomers visiting us is that we had a HUGE bath-only clientele. Every day we had beagle, bassets, doxies, chi's every kind of short coated non styling type dogs, perhaps 25 a day or more of this type. These were the "gravy" in grooming as we have discussed in our magazine articles and books. HOWEVER, I did not say this to set you up to say your idea is great. As Cockerlvr is saying in a way, there is a lot of risk in your idea. I would not do it in your proposal but you could do a self wash with some basic styling.

Many pet owners have a pet that requires styling and another pet that is considered a bath-only type pet. So you will not be a one stop solution for them, and you will get lots of calls from people that don't know you cannot accommodate them...that will be very distracting on a day to day basis. Though our operation marketed bath-only dogs which were profitable but the reason was it helped us pay top wages to stylists, so we never stopped marketing full groom pets as it is the standard of expectation from millions of pet owners.

So it could be done, but with financial risk, and a lot of pet owners wondering why you don't want to serve their full groom pets. And all those pet owner inquiries will annoy you a great deal, even daily. Most businesses of any kind today look for ways to offer the most services to get clientele, rather than working backwards. Therefore, the self-serve route would best accommodate your desires. However, most self serve pet washes do not survive in the business world today without sales from other departments, like pet foods, other retail, daycare or something besides self serve revenue...I know this for a fact as I have about 300 as regular consultation clients and they ALL but few added 1 full service groomer capable to their staff because so many pet owners had 1 pet they could wash, but another pet that needed styling. If they didn't hire that groomer at least part time the owners were going elsewhere to a self serve plus full service, and every time they lost an owner, that meant less sales in their retail and other depts.

If you bought an existing shop in a location with established clientele perhaps you could bathe and manage and have a full charge groomer on staff do just the finish styling. You could slowly learn to style from the groomer if you choose to. I know several groomers that have gone this route. Sometimes in the purchase you can ask the owner to stay on f4 to 12 weeks to train them including grooming basics. Occasionally you will see a business for sale ad in our classifieds where the seller says they are willing to train to manage AND groom. Since you don't want to finish groom they would only train you up to the level of bather/asst groomer, and that takes much less time.

Mobile bath-only? Very risky. I would buy a used starter van, no new van with payments, or basic trailer, and other minimal investment and expectations of return. Sort of like saying this is more of hobby in a sense and I just bring extra income into the household as my wife/husband is the main household support.

Good question for the board.
        Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

Have you thought about dog sitting, dog walking, or working in a doggie daycare as an after retirement job? Believe it or not, any and all aspects of grooming require a skill that needs to be learned by a mentor or school. To enter this profession, completely uninformed gives groomers a weak leg to stand on to be called a professional.

Out of approximately 170 clients, I only have 3 bath only beagles. Even my chi client wants the coat clipped shorter....so there are very few clients, for mobile, that will be willing to pay the higher price of mobile and only get a bath. Dogs with long hair like an aussie, doing bath only, still requires nails, clipping under the paws, santi trim, ears, dematting, trimming the saddles, under skirt and leg furnishing..... so only a very few dogs are bath only in my world.

Happy finding another profession

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I work in a shop, and there is a fair amount of bath-only clientele. However, there is also a large number of clients who book bath-only, but the dog's coat condition does not allow for only a bath service, and the dog cannot be humanely sent home without some sort of clipping. I think this happens at least once per day.

Comment

I don't know, we have many bath and brush mobile clients. Enough to make decent money. Not every day, but enough peppered throughout our week.

There's a franchised bath only mobile trailer company, Pooch Mobile. It's an open trailer bath service.

Comment

I go to westcoastgrooming. Im doing 2 month but they actually have a 5 week course as well. The teacher is a certified master groomer and he is amazing!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh n i forgot the best part. We groom shelter dogs twice a week as part of the class and so many of the dogs we work on get adopted its a 2 in one best experience in your life

Comment

Thanks to all who have responded. I respect your professional opinions. I'm afraid I didn't give as much information as I should have. This would be a supplemental income for me. I won't have to depend on it to "pay the bills" so to speak. With that being said, with the investment that it would take to get started, I don't want to short-change myself or my customers. I'm mot going into this half heartedly. I want to offer what customers are looking for. When I said I didn't want to have to learn the different cuts for different breeds, I was not implying that I wouldn't offer a few grooming services such as nail trimming, paw clipping, ear cleaning, etc. And I do understand that offering those basic services takes training... as well as learning how to handle those that are uncooperative etc. I would appreciate more feedback. I am not entering into this lightly and will consider everyone's responses. You are a wealth of information. Thanks!

Comment

I would bathe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Caninemom View Post
                        Thanks to all who have responded. I respect your professional opinions. I'm afraid I didn't give as much information as I should have. This would be a supplemental income for me. I won't have to depend on it to "pay the bills" so to speak. With that being said, with the investment that it would take to get started, I don't want to short-change myself or my customers. I'm mot going into this half heartedly. I want to offer what customers are looking for. When I said I didn't want to have to learn the different cuts for different breeds, I was not implying that I wouldn't offer a few grooming services such as nail trimming, paw clipping, ear cleaning, etc. And I do understand that offering those basic services takes training... as well as learning how to handle those that are uncooperative etc. I would appreciate more feedback. I am not entering into this lightly and will consider everyone's responses. You are a wealth of information. Thanks!
                        I don't know where you live but like i said my school i go to even offers a one week course that teach you those basics. Such as right bathing technics what to look for as far as coat conditions to know what products to use when bathing, handling, nail clipping ear and teeth cleaning as sanitary trims. Maybe look for classes that offer just those or even ask a pet salon if they would let you shadow them for a week or so and teach you those things only. I learned my bathing in less than a week and im already on my clipping and cutting. So a week or so should be all you need for those and if you have dogs you or friends have that will let you practice on them go ahead and do that till your comfy

Comment

Something that has not been mentioned iscost all around. Buying a Mobil unit is not cheap. Figure in travel time and cost of fuel not only for vehicle but generator. This put it out of price range of a bath only service. You figure in insurance also and supplies.

Most bath only dogs are short hair and run under $20.00. Think pug, min pin , small lab ect. Your larger dogs would run maybe over but most are haired so would need grooming of some type like trimiٌg up feet or furnishings. First bunch would take about 45 min. Second over an hour for say a golden which runs over $60 and gets scissoring done. That is shop price Mobil is more expensive to cover costs.

Based on your idea of seniors that puts it out of their fixed income price range. So take them off list. Also anyone in the lower income bracket. Bath only services are do it yourself setup that how they keep cost way down. All groom shops do bath dogs. Those that have dedicated bathers have steady clients. But price is way lower than groom cost except when doing specialty baths like shedless or mud treatment.
                          Just food for thought. This is a dirty job in which you will be dealing with dogs covered in fleas and ticks plus skunked or poison ivy and mud ect.

Comment

Working...
                          X