Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What percentage of gross do you take home as owner?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What percentage of gross do you take home as owner?

    From a rig that you staff fully with employees?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

  • #2
    Before bills and payroll taxes are factored? Or do you mean pure profit that goes in my bank like a pay check?

    Comment


    • #3
      Profit

      Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #4
        This is a very loose estimate and some of my vans are busier than others depending on the groomer. Plus I try to keep the vans running 7 days, but not always.

        $30,000 to $34,000 profit per year each van (paying a legal employee)

        There are lots of factors like price per groom, what you pay the employee, how busy are they each day, how much fuel do you use, how much overhead do you have, do you use expensive shampoos, price of insurance where you are based, do you rent a place to park, do you take credit cards and thus have fees, are you running a generator vs plug in? All this factors into the net profit. If you are the groomer, then you can make much more profit.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks, Tom. I'm grooming from my own rig and looking to purchase an existing biz and hire a groomer for that rig. Gathering info to project my income from it. It'll be shoreline. Hoping to hire two groomers and run it 6 days/week.

          Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #6
            Also, done I'm in a different area with different pricing, could you estimate a percentage?

            Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              I started my business with a flat $20 trip fee. I may have explained this a number of times why I do this versus just doing a total price per pet. I separate the trip fee from the groom price because I pay commission to my groomers based on the groom itself like a shop would do. The trip fee is per stop and it's clear income for me. Like if we have 5 stops one day, it's $100, no commission paid on it.

              The groom prices start at $45. My groomers start at 50% and then get 55% after a year. This allows me to "tip the scale" in the company's favor as far as income. Their advantage is a 55/45 split on the groom plus very generous tips. My advantage is trip fee plus 45%. This allows the company to earn more income to pay overhead, allow profit and also keep the groomers happy. I could keep them at 50% and they would make a comfortable pay check, but I like to keep good groomers at the extra 5% helps me do that, when most other mobile companies here pay 40 to 45%.

              Some days they "win" due to large multiple dog houses. Some days the company "wins" due to many single dog stops. More stops = more fuel so the trip fee always follows the expense curve.

              Comment


              • #8
                I can't believe experienced groomers work for so little.....50% of $45 a small dog = $23..... X 7 dogs a day = $161....5 days a week = $805....add on a $10 tip per dog = $350......then take out Fed and State taxes...............leaves very little to live on.............yet you need to make money too.......this is why so few people run multi vans, because the profits vs the headaches are just not worth it to most of us. $30-35K profit vs keeping the van up to snuff, purchasing supplies, gas, propane, scheduling, employees not delivering good service, calling in sick too many times, late to start (this goes on and on) for a whole year....for only $35K....no way for most.

                Happy growing grey hair at 30....then pulling it out by 35

                Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

                www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                  I can't believe experienced groomers work for so little.....50% of $45 a small dog = $23..... X 7 dogs a day = $161....5 days a week = $805....add on a $10 tip per dog = $350......then take out Fed and State taxes...............leaves very little to live on.............yet you need to make money too.......this is why so few people run multi vans, because the profits vs the headaches are just not worth it to most of us. $30-35K profit vs keeping the van up to snuff, purchasing supplies, gas, propane, scheduling, employees not delivering good service, calling in sick too many times, late to start (this goes on and on) for a whole year....for only $35K....no way for most.

                  Happy growing grey hair at 30....then pulling it out by 35

                  Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

                  www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
                  Seriously Dolly?Doing your math (and that is assuming ALL dogs are only 45 dollars) that equals 924 AFTER taxes (in Nevada we don't pay state tax) x50 weeks a year that's 46000 dollars a year. Who can't live on that?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    When I say 30K profit, that's clear after all repairs, insurance, fuel, etc. That 30K is me sitting home x 4 vans. Each van does $120,000 per year in service. Deduct groomer pay, taxes, expenses and it's not a bad return per vehicle not to be working in it.

                    Dolly, my groomers make very good tips and average close to $1000 week at 55%. You call that bad? I have no control of Fed taxes. Most people understand their pay is gross, before deductions. I never had a groomer complaint. If they want to make more, buy a van and even then, after their expenses, would they keep about the same amount? Probably very close.

                    I found many groomers who like mobile like the freedom of working alone, no shop drama and actually work less and make more. Doing 7 dogs per day in a van is better than doing 12 or more in a shop.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks, Tom. I appreciate your help!

                      Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                        Seriously Dolly?Doing your math (and that is assuming ALL dogs are only 45 dollars) that equals 924 AFTER taxes (in Nevada we don't pay state tax) x50 weeks a year that's 46000 dollars a year. Who can't live on that?
                        Yes, if you are working for yourself, but you have to now give your groomer 50-55% of this "profit"....where are you getting $924 ??......Before taxes, my calculator says that $27,750 is your yearly earnings for 50 weeks (using $45 a small dog, which is the example that was given and doing 7 dogs a day, x 5 days a week).

                        Happy working for myself

                        Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

                        www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Dolly, you are assuming every dog we do is 45. That's the lowest price bath dog. Our average groom is 60 plus trip fee. My groomers make 200 to 250 per day. It's way more than 27k per year. The full timers are doing 520000 yr. That's excluding tips. So closers to 60k. Not bad working for someone and not having to be responsible for the van

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                            Yes, if you are working for yourself, but you have to now give your groomer 50-55% of this "profit"....where are you getting $924 ??......Before taxes, my calculator says that $27,750 is your yearly earnings for 50 weeks (using $45 a small dog, which is the example that was given and doing 7 dogs a day, x 5 days a week).

                            Happy working for myself

                            Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

                            www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
                            No, read what Tom said and your calculator is wrong. Even at 45 a dog
                            45x7=315 a day Divided by 2 (50%) is 157.50 a day.
                            157.5x5 days a week= 787.50
                            I also factored in your 10$ in tips per dog 35x10=350.
                            350+787.50=1137.50 gross per week.
                            Multiply that by 80% (taxes for an average person are around 20% in this state) and you get 910.00 net per week.
                            910x50 weeks a year=45,500.00 Net pay per year.
                            Not a bad gig if you ask me. AND I'm guessing a lot of tips are cash and just pocketed.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I wish taxes were only 20%......Fed taxes for 2015....if you make between $37,451-90,000....you pay $5156.25 + 25% on any amount over $37,451 (that's about $8K on the $37K salary), then you add State tax for most of us, in OH its between 5.75 -8%....then you add municipality taxes of 2-2.5% for a lot of cities.
                              Then you take in consideration that most people do not work 5 days a week for 50 weeks, due to the numerous Holidays (New Years, MLK, Memorial, etc) that most small businesses do not pay their employees.....then most people take ill time off, again, not paid for.

                              Happy paying the Feds

                              Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

                              www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X