Dread opening up my email messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dread opening up my email messages

This may sound funny to some, but I'm stressed out/burning out due to new client requests. In the past 7 weeks, I've had 54 new client requests via email....just today, I've gotten 3 phone messages for potential new clients. I would have my web guy put on my site, that I'm not taking any new clients, but he has "disappeared" after moving to NC. Almost all of the mobiles, around my area, are booked out and not accepting new clients. The trend for picking a groomer now also includes "convenience". So if you are thinking about "going out on your own", think twice about going mobile and not a salon. You will never have to advertise, do fewer dogs, charge double, make your own hours, and be your own boss.

Happy slowly going nuts

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Why don't you hire someone else to work on your website? You will need to change other things in the future.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Agree. And updating a site to add a message like that is extremely easy, if you hire someone who knows websites.

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
      Why don't you hire someone else to work on your website? You will need to change other things in the future.

Comment

I am trying to convince my niece (who is attending grooming school next year) to go mobile....I'm still hoping that she will consider this opportunity than come to work in my shop. I agree with you Dolly and I think there is huge potential - especially as we have only one mobile in the area & another one north of the city about 20 minutes away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am having the same situation, new calls every day, anywhere from 2-6 daily. All are new people. Our area is booming with growth. My website says I am only accepting new cat clients, but I get plenty of calls for dogs, which I can't take on.

sittingpretty

Comment

Originally posted by cmf07 View Post
            I am trying to convince my niece (who is attending grooming school next year) to go mobile....I'm still hoping that she will consider this opportunity than come to work in my shop. I agree with you Dolly and I think there is huge potential - especially as we have only one mobile in the area & another one north of the city about 20 minutes away.

That's a good suggestion although new groomers need to be mentored and learn and work around more experienced groomers before going out on their own, even if it's a year in a shop. Grooming school is only a start and introduction to the basics.

I hired several newer mobile groomers over the years and they either are too slow to keep to a mobile schedule or find themselves needing help either holding or handling a dog or trouble getting the haircut to look right and no one to critique it. I now ask for 3 or more years of full time grooming experience before going out on a van.

Comment

Good points, Tom. I think mobile, housecall, and even home shops are soon going to be the the only way a groomer can work alone and make a living. Rents in urban areas are getting to be too high, and the prices charged to stay in business will be more than the average person can, or is willing to pay. Many of these clients will think twice before getting another pet requiring regular, professional grooming.
              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I am right there with you Dolly. When I hear that voicemail ping, I cringe. Most of my clients are listed as contacts, so when it comes up as just a number and it pings I know it will be a new client request. I don't have the new client contact form on my website so that's not as bad for me.

Granted now that hubs needs to fill up it's not as bad, but for instance last night I spent until 8:30 on the phone talking to people.

Comment

Can you do an auto respond to all emails? I know some people go on vacation and if you email them you get an auto response that the person is out of the office until xxx date.

I don't have email for my business so they call and my voicemail says I'm not taking any new clients.

Comment

As far as website. Why not just do it yourself. WEBS and WIX make it very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                      That's a good suggestion although new groomers need to be mentored and learn and work around more experienced groomers before going out on their own, even if it's a year in a shop. Grooming school is only a start and introduction to the basics.

I hired several newer mobile groomers over the years and they either are too slow to keep to a mobile schedule or find themselves needing help either holding or handling a dog or trouble getting the haircut to look right and no one to critique it. I now ask for 3 or more years of full time grooming experience before going out on a van.
                      Oh yes Tom, I totally agree with you on that. I think it's definitely something after spending a few years with me or in another shop that she could definitely do out on her own. Thanks for the good advice!

Comment

This really is an indication that there is more room for mobile businesses. Even today I got 2 calls from people across 50 states that could not find a mobile to serve them, and I am talking populated states. Of course mobilers pull in a more tight area to reduce mileage and that affects people where there are not enough mobilers out there. Because we have findagroomer.com with about 8,000 grooming businesses, pet owners call. Hey I live in populated or near and no mobiles come to me. Do you know I get this call about 20 times a week. I help them out and google their city, zip code and they are right most of the time, no mobiles. So they end calling mobile groomers further away even that are not likely to serve them, but they are desperate. Many of these people cannot get their pets to a shop.

Comment

Working...
                        X