OMG the noise of the generator!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG the noise of the generator!

Holy Cow! I knew it was going to be noisy but it's insane! Any ideas how to quiet it?

Welcome to the club. You eventually get used to it. What kind did you get?

We had a handful of neighbor noise complaints over the years and at least 2 times police came to question our groomers and ask questions. It's perfectly legal during business hours or 8 am to 10 pm. Some guard gated housing does not allow any noise after 5pm, usually pertains to landscapers. But that's something to make sure about before booking a afternoon client

There's really no way to quiet a contractor style gen because they run at a steady high RPM and have an open cage design. Sometimes you see a diamond plate box with drilled holes for ventilation covering a gen on a food truck and I have seen cable TV trucks with boxed in gens on their trucks. Don't know if that helps with the noise. My newest van has a beautiful Yamaha 6300isde inverter style gen and it's even quieter than some RV generators. But it was $3600. You pay for that quality and reliability. Honda has really nice portable inverter style gens but they are also around $4000.

Comment

This is one of the benefits of purchasing a van that has already been put thru the rigors of professional engineering input. The WGT gen is tucked away within the side of the van, with an insulated cap, then the vented door. I have to stop and listen to hear my gen turn on. On the outside, it sounds much quieter than a lawn mower.

Happy saving your hearing

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
        This is one of the benefits of purchasing a van that has already been put thru the rigors of professional engineering input. The WGT gen is tucked away within the side of the van, with an insulated cap, then the vented door. I have to stop and listen to hear my gen turn on. On the outside, it sounds much quieter than a lawn mower.

Happy saving your hearing

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
        No Dolly, it's one of the benefits of spending five grand on a generator. I could get a quiet generator for a lot more money and eventually I might unless hubs can build it a baffle box. It has nothing to do with professional engineering. It's a matter of money plain and simple. My trailer is bought and paid for, no huge payment to make every month and it cost us over twenty thousand less than a wagn tails. I'm happy putting that money into my retirement instead of another persons pocket. Even if we get a more expensive generator down the road I'm still 15K ahead.

Comment

cockerlvr can you share what generator brand you have and what its rated for?

Comment

It's true, not everyone is in a position to pay for a Wagn Tails. I bought 2 brand new Wagn Tails vans and while they were great for the first few years, then all the problems started and they over engineer the van so it's very hard for someone to work on. Like it was designed to trade it in once stuff goes south. For instance, that quiet Onan is well over $5000 and needs to be replaced after 6 to 8000 hours. Even to work on it, a mechanic needs to extract it from the van which takes labor and lots of time. Not easily done by a amateur. Onan generator are expensive to work on and have limited service departments around the country.

My newest van was home built and I will put my own engineering and build quality against wagn tails any day and did it for about $30,000 less than a new Wagn Tails. I built it lighter, modular so it can easily be worked on, more room, less "fluff," better tub, more water capacity, better generator,
            Some people rather buy pro, others take pride in building their own. End of day, we are grooming dogs. If it works, that's all that matters. I feel if the visuals on the outside are good, like clean van or trailer, nice graphic art, great customer service and groom, you will have no benefit over a home built van. Clients don't know the in's and out's of one vs. another. Yes, a quiet generator is great. We have only increased out business without a quiet generator since the Onans died. Customers don't seem to care that we have a generator hitched to the rear of our vans.
            Last edited by IrishSetterTom; 07-06-16, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Tom it's a Champion 7000 watt. Can't find the link to it.

Comment

We got ours at Costco but they don't seem to have it right now.
                Last edited by cockerlvr; 07-06-16, 11:09 AM. Reason: Wrong link

Comment

Oh, yeah, those generators are the loudest of the loud. We had one for a while. The harbor freight 8750 watt is $549 and is much quieter than that Champion and better built and you can get a 2 year FREE REPLACEMENT warranty. It breaks, bring it in and they give you a brand new one. We exchanged gens for new ones. No questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
                    Oh, yeah, those generators are the loudest of the loud. We had one for a while. The harbor freight 8750 watt is $549 and is much quieter than that Champion and better built and you can get a 2 year FREE REPLACEMENT warranty. It breaks, bring it in and they give you a brand new one. We exchanged gens for new ones. No questions asked.
                    Does that one have a remote start Tom?

Comment

Unfortunately, no remote. It's electric start though. A remote switch can be done. We used the Onan start switch in our Wagn Tails and wired it to the starter on the external generator and it works fine. The only problem is cold starts you have to manually choke it. Once it's hot, then it can be started remotely.

My groomers usually start the gen when they pull up so they are outside anyway. Occasionally we have dogs that are afraid of noise walking up to the van.

Comment

I took toms advice and put a harbor freight generator on my trailer. It's not near as loud as I thought it would be. The push button start is easy. Doesn't seem to scare the dogs as much if it's already on when they come outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can build a box for it. You can build an external muffler that will chop a few DB off it - if you have space. Aside from that it is what it is.

You save money upfront with these, but I don't think you save in the long run for a couple of reasons.

1. These things guzzle fuel.

2. If you actually follow the maintenance intervals you will end up spending more money on it (in terms of maintenance time) than if you just bought a Yamaha/ Honda Subie. The constant high RPM pounds the valve train.
                          The valve adjustment check interval is 100 hours on that unit. That puts you inside it mechanically every 12.5 8 hour days or your risk burning a valve.
                          Compare to 300 or more for the Japanese inverter units. Most ignore this totally and run it till they burn a valve then take it back and try to get a refund.

3. They depreciate like used hand grenades - where your can sell your Japanese unit for about 75% of what you paid for it in 5 years and start fresh.

4. You can buy remote kits for the japanese units that start stop, choke, and flip the econo mode switches on and off.

Gensets are a pay up front or pay as you go deal.

UD

Comment

We treat our gens like the Champion and Predator as disposable. We get about a year or year and a half, and toss em. No maintenance except oil changes every 2 weeks. For about $600, they get us 7 days a week and about 5 hours a day run time. Not worth worrying about it. And like I said about harbor gens, buy the warranty, use your gen a year, say it broke even if it's not broke and turn it in for a brand new one. I did it like 4 times already. I have not paid full price for a gen in over 2 years. They are Chinese made and harbor freight does not fix them, they just accept they are broken and replace them. I wheel out a brand new one in a box and start fresh. Totally worth the $120 extra for the warranty. They will not attempt to fix them.

Comment

We have a new endurance sprinter and you can barely hear the gen. Roughly the same noise as idling our Hanvey. My buddy uses a Honda gen which is a little noisier, but nothing to complain about and certainly not call the cops.

Comment

Working...
                              X