Credit Cards Fees.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Cards Fees.

My bank offers 1.9% transaction fee for every credit card processed. Is this a good rate?
    Do I just suck of the cost as overhead for each transaction fee or do I have the fee part of the price of the groom?

I'm not sure if I even want to deal with Credit Cards.

Our business would not survive without offering CC's to clients. The fees are priced into the groom price somewhat even though it's hard to absorb the $500 month in swipe fees I pay. We do like 60 to 70 percent CC, 15 percent personal checks and the rest cash payers.

Another benefit for a groomer is that nice tip prompt on the screen. My groomers can make a couple hundred dollars per week in tips because of the tip prompt. A good number of people just pick the percentage like 15% or 20% instead of plugging in a certain amount. It adds up.

I do not use a bank CC processing which sucks you into a contract. You have to be careful with all the details. I use Square. It's free to sign up, no contract, chip reader is under $50, use your phone or tablet and their website shows all your deposits, customer reviews, charts and graphs, print out your tax forms. It's super easy and the money is deposited next day except weekends.

Comment

Thanks for the comments IrishSetter.

You must do a large volume of Credit card transaction a Month be $500.
      I really couldn't image in this day of age only accepting Cash and Checks.

Comment

Agree with Square it is so simple to learn and use. Taking cards today is essential not so much that you are taking CREDIT cards but LOTS of people want to carry less cash and use their DEBIT cards instead. Taking cards really is a courtesy service for our customers.

Comment

I will give a few examples of why groomers should take cards, especially mobile grooming.

1, allows client to get a groom done immediately instead of waiting until they get paid or SS check.
          2. Most people do not carry cash especially having cash in their home. They would need to drive to a ATM to get cash. Grooms are not $3 snack bar transactions, they can be in the hundreds of dollars per client.
          3. More tips
          4. Proof to the IRS of sales transactions
          5. Some clients leave a card on file so they do not need to be home for the groom. We charge it later that day or next day.
          6. Drivers do not have to carry cash for change and it's for safety reasons just in case the van or driver was robbed.
          7. Less bank runs for deposits. No waiting in line for a teller.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
            I will give a few examples of why groomers should take cards, especially mobile grooming.

1, allows client to get a groom done immediately instead of waiting until they get paid or SS check.
            2. Most people do not carry cash especially having cash in their home. They would need to drive to a ATM to get cash. Grooms are not $3 snack bar transactions, they can be in the hundreds of dollars per client.
            3. More tips
            4. Proof to the IRS of sales transactions
            5. Some clients leave a card on file so they do not need to be home for the groom. We charge it later that day or next day.
            6. Drivers do not have to carry cash for change and it's for safety reasons just in case the van or driver was robbed.
            7. Less bank runs for deposits. No waiting in line for a teller.

Been mobile since 2008 and have never had a problem with only taking check or cash.

1). All of my clients are on a 3-8 week schedule, so paying with check or cash doesn't matter with my clients, two clients predate their check when SS is paid to them
            2). My clients all have a check book, and I sometimes get up to $600 in cash in a week, so a lot of people do have $$ at home
            3). 95% of my clients tip.....anywhere from $5 - $40
            4). I have receipts for all grooms, so I can document everything
            5). If client is not at home, they leave a check on the kitchen counter or table
            6). I carry my purse, which has cash in it
            7). I deposit my checks with my iPhone, sitting at home

Happy not paying any fees

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
              Been mobile since 2008 and have never had a problem with only taking check or cash.

1). All of my clients are on a 3-8 week schedule, so paying with check or cash doesn't matter with my clients, two clients predate their check when SS is paid to them
              2). My clients all have a check book, and I sometimes get up to $600 in cash in a week, so a lot of people do have $$ at home
              3). 95% of my clients tip.....anywhere from $5 - $40
              4). I have receipts for all grooms, so I can document everything
              5). If client is not at home, they leave a check on the kitchen counter or table
              6). I carry my purse, which has cash in it
              7). I deposit my checks with my iPhone, sitting at home

Happy not paying any fees

Dolly, you are a single van independent. You CAN do that. I have multiple vans with employees and gross over $350,000 per year in service. Do you realize the volume of clients we do who are first time clients and not regulars? Plus I live in a transient population city of over 2 million with about 100,000 visitors at any given time. We have many grooms from tourists in RV parks, hotels and quite frankly, we try to come across like a corporate business. Now what commercial business do you use that takes cash only and if they do, doesn't look fishy or amateur?

Comment

Tom........probably 98% of the mobile groomers are single van independent..........your answer is spot on for a large multi van business, but not for someone just starting out like this gal is.

Happy starting out...... without fees

Comment

Cash or checks, for a one-person house call service. There are ATMs on every block here, so people pass one when they walk home from work. I don't know that people look at it as unprofessional. They can see my skills when I groom. I list my experience and training on my site. I can see how if someone has a business with several employees in a transient area, it would be essential to accept cards.
                  I tried accepting cards for a month. Only one person made use of it, so I threw the little gadget away.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                    Tom........probably 98% of the mobile groomers are single van independent..........your answer is spot on for a large multi van business, but not for someone just starting out like this gal is.

Happy starting out...... without fees

ag

I agree. But today's generation of younger people are cashless. They will debit a can of soda for a buck. I recommend for any mobile groomer even yourself to have a backup like Square. It's free and you can put the app on your phone. In a pinch or emergency, you have the ability to charge a groom. i don't like fees myself and want more of my regulars to write checks now that they are established clients.

Comment

My bank will give me the scanning device no charge. There is no monthly fee to have this service. The only fee is the 1.9% transaction fee.
                      What do I have to loose to provide this service to my customers even if it doesn't get used much.
                      I'm convince in this day of age CC acceptance at any business is a must.
                      I debit card everything and large purchases sometime. I hardly carry any cash.

I'm not sure if the bank will be better than using Square.

Comment

IF the only fee is the 1.9% per transaction you are good, in fact better than square by about 1%. In that case you absolutely would have nothing to loose.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep it's better than square by nearly a percent, so yes, I would go with it as long as there are no other fees and no monthly fees. Make sure you read the fine print because that is a pretty low rate. Just curious if the bank is a national chain, because I'd go check it out to save 1%

Comment

I can tell you I would gladly pay that extra 1 percent to have the incredible ease of using Square's interface from any device and overall website experience. No bank allows clients to write a review right from their credit card receipt which has a link right on it. As soon as the sale goes through, the client gets either a text or email receipt with a link. No paper or batching. If you lose or break a Square reader, need a new one, head to Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Apple store, Best Buy, they all sell them. I don't think any other merchant sells their equipment in stores.

Comment

Its one of the Big Banks. I will confirm there are no other hidden Charges before I post their name. I don't want to be quoted wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X