Dave or Irish input please about refurbished k9 2 with 8 amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave or Irish input please about refurbished k9 2 with 8 amps

So my speed switch is on the fritz on my ezdry 3 and in finding the part I found a guy in Cali who services and repairs dryers. I asked if he had anything for sale for a backup. He said he has a k9 2 that was a 2 switcher that he totally redid the only thing that is original is the housing. It's converted to variable speed and the motors only pull 8 amps. He said he designed it for mobiles cuz they have more chances of popping breakers and that it's pretty much the same cfm as the regular ones. I spoke to him For over an hr about dryers and he sounds very knowledgable but I can't wrap my mind around how that is possible to get that power for less than half the amps. Do u think it's possible? And if so why aren't manufactures already doin this. Oh yea it's pretty good price at 350 compared to the k92 variables at almost 500 what do u guys think

Is his name Raymond by any chance? If it is, he knows his stuff and I used him several times. He travels up to Nevada once a month to make rounds fixing dryers at local shops.

A refurb is a good idea if it saves over the cost of new. The 8 amp rating is not with the both motors at full power, it's likely the lowest and slowest on the dial and I can tell you it will not do much drying at that power level. Yes, the variable dial will allow you to turn it up or down depending on the job you are doing and allow you to keep the amps below the max allowed on the circuit you are using. I love variable speed dryers because you don't always need full power and use all 18 amps.

The price of a new K9 II variable speed is about 450 plus shipping and tax. The 2 switch model is a little lower at 395. So you are saving about $100. But remember, a new one comes with a hose and nozzle. I wonder if he includes a new hose for 350?

Comment

Yes it is Raymond and it is with a hose and nozzle and he said he uses lower amped motors in the refurbs

Comment

Sounds good. He's been working on vacuums and dryers for many decades. I trust him and his work.

Comment

I talked to him again and he said its 8 amps at low and at high? I didn't want to question him too much to much cuz he's the one who is supposed to be the expert, but I can't help my doubts that it's more amps or less power. Cuz if this is true why wouldn't manufacturers offer these powerful less amped dryers

Comment

He put new motors in one of my dryers last year. It's the same amps at full speed, like 18. You cannot have both lower amps and same air speed. With lower amps you sacrifice air speed. He's not a groomer. Non groomers don't understand why we need so much air speed. Put a towel dried 100 lb big hairy on the table and see how long it takes to dry with a 8 to 12 amp dryer vs. a 2 speed 18 amp. It's the reason we need such large power draws on our vans and cannot plug into a 15 amp typical house outlet.

Comment

You should get another ez dry 3. We find ours better than the K9-2 (better air flow)and quieter. The hose is nicer as well.

Comment

Also lower amps means less flow unless he puts brushless motors in them.

Comment

Originally posted by atechbh View Post
                  You should get another ez dry 3. We find ours better than the K9-2 (better air flow)and quieter. The hose is nicer as well.
                  Yea but they are 600bucks I have one already. I like the shape of the k9 2 it will be my backup it's easier to move around. And I like the bigger nozzle opening and the flexibility of the rubber tip, longer hose and chord

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyfoxxy View Post
                    I talked to him again and he said its 8 amps at low and at high? I didn't want to question him too much to much cuz he's the one who is supposed to be the expert, but I can't help my doubts that it's more amps or less power. Cuz if this is true why wouldn't manufacturers offer these powerful less amped dryers
                    Im guessing what he means each motor is 8 amps - factoring inefficiencies and you get 9 per motor or 18 amps with both running.

Normal K9II amperage

UD

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
                      Im guessing what he means each motor is 8 amps - factoring inefficiencies and you get 9 per motor or 18 amps with both running.

Normal K9II amperage

UD
                      That what I was thinkin too but he said he specifically designed these with lower amps for mobile who plug in and trip breakers often

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyfoxxy View Post
                        That what I was thinkin too but he said he specifically designed these with lower amps for mobile who plug in and trip breakers often
                        That guy can probably put variety of sized motors in it like a 4 and 4 but then thats the performance you get.

If it works for you - awesome.

UD

Comment

Working...
                        X