To groom or not to groom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To groom or not to groom

My mini Schnauzer Archie hates to be groomed. He tolerates it, but since I groom all day, I let him slide. He looks great at times and sometimes just ok.
    Thing is, I almost had him put down today because of cancer on his spleen. He'll be 13 in August if he survives, but it's close. He is NOT the same. Lethargic and woozy. Just yesterday morning he was happy and spry, then when I got home from grooming, he was ill and 24 hrs later really ill. Today I fed him baby food and water with food syringes.
    The vet can do all sorts of surgery and chemo, but on my budget and knowing that he is pushing 13, it just doesn't seem fea$ible.
    So my question is...Do I groom him before putting him down or just leave him alone.
    I'll leave his nails as he hates when I grind them down. Should I just let him be or give him a nice once over? He was due for a groom, but I figured maybe next weekend or whenever.

I'm not asking for pity or all that. I rarely respond to my own posts, but I do read them.

Thanks.

I'm so sorry. End of life decisions are the only downside to being loved by a dog. But having been in your shoes with quite a few wonderful dogs, I can say without a doubt, love him enough to let him go without undue stress. Sadly the kindest thing sometimes is to help them over that bridge as quickly as possible, putting their misery ahead of our desire to keep them with us as long as possible. It is the last kind and loving thing we can do for them, and you do not want your last memories to be of putting him through something he hates. Before I took my last love for his final ride I gave him cupcakes and sausage, things he loved but were forbidden because he was overweight.

Comment

I think you already know the answer........and you are just trying to "wish it away". We've all done it, but in the end, you have to make the hard decisions.....let him alone and if he is in pain, gently help him to end it. I agree, do not put him thru Chemo due to his age, regardless of your funds.

Happy loving and helping him

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I am so sorry. I would not cause him any undo stress and help him pass over the Rainbow Bridge with dignity.
        ♡♡♡♡ HUGS♡♡♡♡
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I am sorry as well. I agree with everyone. Let him go dirty and stinky like most dogs like to be. I've only ever groomed one of my dogs before his time and that was because he loved it.

Comment

Understand. My Scottie went through the same issues towards the end. I might suggest keeping your baby comfortable with a face wash and trim and some gentle brushing. Comfort is more important and your gentle hands mean even more to them.

Comment

I would leave him alone, but if he tolerates a bath I would give him one. I have had a lot of people tell me their older dogs felt a lot better and rejuvenated after a nice bath.

Comment

I'm Yunity supplements.

Thanks for all the kind words.
                He's doing much better since I brought him home. I feed him baby food with a fat syringe feeding thing. My boy Archie just swallows away. It's like he almost likes it. Just press the food in rhythm to his swallowing. Smaller syringe for water. He was even running and eating from his bowl again yesterday.
                Gonna try some supplements my girl found on Amazon. I'm Yunity. Had good reviews. Any tips?
                He has cancer of the spleen. Doc would've put him down Thursday, but I chose to bring him back home. I hand feed him and he seems much better. We're bonding.
                If he really feels good one day, I may slip in a quick groom. Maybe.

Comment

I'm sorry too. I lost my love last year and wouldn't think of grooming him unless he liked it, which he didn't. Enjoy these weeks or months you have with him, that is all that really matters. Maybe you can try a waterless shampoo if you think he really needs it. But what he really needs is your love and attention, which you are already giving. Enjoy these last days!

Comment

I lost my heart dog to spleen cancer in December, after opting for the surgery to remove the tumor/spleen. I let him get dirty, stinky, and didn't do his nails. I also opted to bring him home (after surgery) and not pursue any more treatment. He got to pass at home, where he was loved and was comfortable.
                    My heart hurts for you. This is one part of owning a pet that never gets easier.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Being neat and pretty is not the concern. For anyone. What I find is the great test can you stay with him or her in the last moments and not leave them to the vet staff. Personally I think that matters more.

Comment

I always stay the whole way until they are gone, I just cannot leave them alone at that point.

Comment

Working...
                        X