Mobile to Shop, or Shop to Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile to Shop, or Shop to Mobile

We hear occasionally some mobile groomers that change to owning a shop, but the opposite is true. Here is a story like that. http://wnyt.com/article/stories/s4017793.shtml
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

I know someone who sold a busy shop for 2 new vans. Don't know how they feel about it now. I'm sure they may regret it next week where temps here are supposed to be 115 to 117. The roof ACs don't work in those temps and it's hard on the equipment especially your generator.

I did the opposite. Have mobile vans and after 8 years opened my first shop. I love the simplicity of a shop vs a group of vans that need constant attention each day. The shop you focus on grooming whereas the vans you are juggling grooming and power and water management and you have to multi task and be aware of how your equipment is functioning. So you have to be a groomer and part mechanic, part coach driver, part logistics. It's not for everyone.

Comment

Pros and Cons to everything.

Pros and cons to each. I don't want to pay rent for a shop and rather own what I'm grooming in.

Comment

Problem is when you have a small fleet of vans, you have no legal place to park and service them at your home. I had to rent a warehouse just to use as a garage and have washer and dryer, tools and supplies. That's an expense along with $1500 month in fuel, $900 month in insurance, plus van maintenance, repairs, several hundred bucks per van registration. In fact, expenses are double my shop expenses.

Vans depreciate, need major repairs over the years, whereas a shop's value can appreciate over time by building a strong client base and reputation. For a single van parked at your house, great. Anyone trying to build a business with multiple vans and hire groomers, it's a nightmare. We did it and are still struggling after 8 years. My plan is to build my shop strong and someday sell off the mobile end. I'm getting too old to be pulling and replacing generators, pumps, tires, etc at 10 pm to make sure the vans can work the next day. I know I'm in for it next week, we are expecting 118 degrees and I know something will break. On the other hand, my store will stay nice and cool, relaxing.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
          Problem is when you have a small fleet of vans, you have no legal place to park and service them at your home. I had to rent a warehouse just to use as a garage and have washer and dryer, tools and supplies. That's an expense along with $1500 month in fuel, $900 month in insurance, plus van maintenance, repairs, several hundred bucks per van registration. In fact, expenses are double my shop expenses.

Vans depreciate, need major repairs over the years, whereas a shop's value can appreciate over time by building a strong client base and reputation. For a single van parked at your house, great. Anyone trying to build a business with multiple vans and hire groomers, it's a nightmare. We did it and are still struggling after 8 years. My plan is to build my shop strong and someday sell off the mobile end. I'm getting too old to be pulling and replacing generators, pumps, tires, etc at 10 pm to make sure the vans can work the next day. I know I'm in for it next week, we are expecting 118 degrees and I know something will break. On the other hand, my store will stay nice and cool, relaxing.
          Think happy thoughts, cool water, glistening, flowing from the mountain, ok maybe not, Phoenix near 120 as well. Damn it!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X